PDA

View Full Version : valver handling!!!!

so1o
31-08-03, 02:01 AM
nearly killed myself twice the other day :evil: in my valver, firstly at some roundabout my back end went - that scares the shit outta you :( .
secondly was going down the road SLIGHT little bend and front sort of went , why oh why?

got some off key coloured 15" compomotive mo's and full gmax 40mm setup how can i improve the handling :?:

any other ways apart from coilovers?different springs shocks?

any help would be appreciated.... :D

Ste_Nova
31-08-03, 08:19 AM
what tyre pressures/tyre make?

Jim
31-08-03, 10:01 AM
You really need to be a bit more careful. The 2.0 conversion turns the Nova into a pocket rocket, so your approaching corners a lot faster than you use to. Also, with the extra weight in the front of the car, the car will react different to how it use to. Just drive slower and try not to become another "statistic".

Jim

Mark
31-08-03, 10:03 AM
You just need to swap your wheels for mine, that'll sort it out :wink:

mowgli
31-08-03, 10:11 AM
I've always thought that the sliding was the best bit, but if it has only just started doing it, then just check tyres, tracking, dampers.

so1o
31-08-03, 02:48 PM
ste lol tyres are gonna get sorted very soon what sort of tyre pressure is best for a valver?

sliding i dont mind but this was different, the front slipped sideways i cant really describe it.

jim i am more careful dont speed around funny thing is i wasnt really going fast, was normal speed and it sort of went on me thats what i dont understand, the front is not very sticky to the ground if that makes sense lol

Jules
31-08-03, 03:16 PM
Are the wheels at least et45?
:roll:

so1o
31-08-03, 04:01 PM
perfect 49mm et

Mark
31-08-03, 04:59 PM
My wheels are ET35, Spax coilovers set at 60mm and It handles a dream.

Barn
01-09-03, 03:05 AM
Get some strut braces....that should stiffen the car up abit
Just a suggestion

Will
01-09-03, 10:27 AM
its a heavier block its not gona handle as well as a small block engine..... btw that my opinion im sure u will try tell me otherwise :P

get some strut braces, are u running stiff shocks? wot rims are u running size wise etc and wot tyres.......

p.s. take it easy i already get raped insruance wise cause i have a luton postcode ;)

so1o
01-09-03, 11:42 AM
true i agree with the big block theory, not gonna handle brilliantly, im not gonna get a strut brace made as soon as someones farming work is done lol :D

ps. your not the only one getting shagged bcause ofa luton postcode. :cry:

K11OVA
01-09-03, 11:56 AM
Get a decent set of shockers (not gmax) and uprated front springs (some companies do a set specially for the valver conversion - high poundage). Poly bushes all round helps alot. Front strutbrace and rear may help to.

I know its seems alot to spend but its worth it. Ran same setup as you on a valver once n you notice the difference when you ditch the gmax and start uprating the handling components.

Will
01-09-03, 02:40 PM
:? buy a strut brace??

they rnt expensive can get a full set (front top front bottem and rear) for abt ?50...........

as for shocks gmax are goos shockers imo but thats for a small block.

ur gona want summit strong for a valver, ive heard valver special suspension is wank, try get some 2nd hand billies or konis..... also 40mm is pehaps to low

30mm might be better.........

Ben (lurk75)
01-09-03, 02:55 PM
I lost control the other night, but that was the highway's agency's fault for moving the road :!:

Rick Draper
01-09-03, 04:19 PM
My Turbo nova handles like a dream with 17's and avo coilovers. Never had any problems with it acting funny even when braking hard mid corner the rear disks never lock up.

Rick

CP
01-09-03, 05:21 PM
2 points- sorry if they re obvious but:
1. Tyre choice? It makes a huge difference. I changed from Continental to Toyo proxes T1-S and shaved nearly a sec of my quarter mile time.
2. Road conditions? A slightly wet road ie a small shower after a long dry period or a road thats part dried can be soo slippery its just not true.

Get some decent boots on first before you start changing anything else?

Aragorn
01-09-03, 08:57 PM
the "front slipping sideways" sounds like understeer to me?

ie too much speed into a corner for the amount of grip available so the front wheels stop turning the car and car goes streight on - which in a corner feels like its goin sideways

ive only ever done it once in the 1.0 and that was on a hard corner uphill onto a dual carridgeway and like CP said there had been a shower after a long period of dry weather

managed to hold it tho and didnt break anything luckily

Ben (lurk75)
02-09-03, 12:07 AM
managed to hold it tho and didnt break anything luckily

Didnt have your torque wrench handy then :wink:

sorry :roll:

dathers
02-09-03, 02:15 AM
Understeer is a trait of front wheel drive.
If you are understeering badly in a valver nova try taking the front anti roll bar off,this reduces understeer slightly,although it does increase roll.
Also play around with tyre pressures,reduce the fronts and/or raise the rears,get yourself a digi tyre pressure gauge for about a tenner and experiment with the pressures.
Also,do your braking BEFORE the bend,NOT on the bend,then get on the power coming out of the bend,but dont just plant the throttle,feel how much grip you have,Goes without saying really.
Understeer can be fun,when understeering back off the throttle sharply and the back end should swing out(oversteer)pile on the opposite lock and power out of it,great fun if you get it right!!
Very painfull and costly if you get it wrong.
Learning left foot braking can get you out of understeer aswell,that can be very tricky to master at first though,and you need good brakes.
Dave

craig green
02-09-03, 05:58 PM
Get some springs with a higher poundage, Courtenay do em (not very low though) I also have some custom ones for sale that I never used (change of plans) ?50 PM or see or see my ad in For Sale Parts. the chassis strengthening kits do work also, but lots of grief to fit.. check ball joints n ttop mounts for play. Any play up front will result in poor traction..