PDA

View Full Version : Nova c20xe c.v joints knocking on full lock ??

Marcusgeorge
15-07-13, 03:33 PM
Hi guys the n/s/f cv is knocking on full lock but the every thing is new so I don't know what could be causing it ??

chrisd1986
15-07-13, 06:00 PM
Dose it have equal shafts or do you have a counter weight on it?

Marcusgeorge
15-07-13, 08:19 PM
No they are the shafts from lmf so the long one I think is hollow but the problem is at low speeds the wheels jump along the road if you know what I mean. I think I need put a washer on the back of the c.v. Before it goes through the hub ??

John
15-07-13, 08:32 PM
No they are the shafts from lmf so the long one I think is hollow but the problem is at low speeds the wheels jump along the road if you know what I mean. I think I need put a washer on the back of the c.v. Before it goes through the hub ??

you most certainly do. can you turn the wheel when its jacked up?

Marcusgeorge
15-07-13, 08:36 PM
Lmf sent me ONE WASHER and I've emailed them for mor shut no reply :/ and dosnt do it when jacked up just be because there's no weight on it. I knew something was wrong when I put one washer in the nut side and the split pin hole was an actual mile away from the castle nut so I put two washers on just so I can move it :(

Marcusgeorge
15-07-13, 08:36 PM
And cheers John :) do you know where I can get one from ??

John
15-07-13, 09:08 PM
There should be one washer sitting against the inner bearing race, (ie slid over shaft before inserting into hub) and the usual washer under the castle nut. Are you using the lmf hubs?

Marcusgeorge
15-07-13, 09:14 PM
Yea I am and they only sent me one washer so I had to bodge it so it could move not a permanent solution lol

Nobby
16-07-13, 12:46 PM
i use 2 washers on the outer bit where the castle nut its?

John
16-07-13, 12:52 PM
Op, are you using hub flanges to take inner and outer big block cvs?

John
16-07-13, 12:57 PM
Sorry yep Missed your reply. @nobby, I used some lmf hubs for the big block cvs, I had to use a spacer against the inner race of the bearing other wise it all locked up when the castle nut was tightened. I only use one washer under the castle nut.

Iain
16-07-13, 12:57 PM
The washer between the CV and the bearing is just for when you tighten it and it locks up, if the wheel spins freely you shouldn't need it in my opinion?

If you tighten the castle nut and it's miles from the split pin holes then use two washers before it to get it in line, I've had to do this on all my big block CVs.

If it's knocking only on full lock then check elsewhere as the CV shouldn't be any closer to the knuckle no matter what the steering angle?

Marcusgeorge
16-07-13, 03:19 PM
I am going check tomorrow but I thought c.v because they are trying to turn through a greater angle than their possibility ??

Iain
16-07-13, 03:23 PM
Yep logic is sound, but the washers/spacers are a different conversation to a knackered CV joint clicking/making noises?

Marcusgeorge
16-07-13, 03:47 PM
The c.vs are brand new I think the two washers on one side is pulling the cv too far out and reducing its angle