PDA

View Full Version : Fitting mk2 dials to a mk1 dash?

ABoresta
13-07-13, 10:57 PM
Hi all I was just wondering if anybody has fitted mk2 dials with the tacho built in to a mk1 dash?

Any information would be great cheers guys

Alex

marc69
14-07-13, 12:09 AM
In my honest opinion, just fit mk1 dials, mk2 will perhaps look wrong, but then I'm the guy who took a mk2 Nova and converted it to early Mk1 lol

brainsnova
14-07-13, 12:15 AM
The mk1 dials look better as they have 6 moving needles

L14MNP
14-07-13, 12:31 AM
they have 6 moving needles

So did me Submariner from Turkey. lol

marc69
14-07-13, 10:48 AM
So did me Submariner from Turkey. lol

So does it still have 6 moving needles?

ABoresta
14-07-13, 11:39 AM
No it has a light for oil pressure and battery.... I've got the mk2 dials already as picked them up from VBOA yesterday, got a bit excited as I want a tachometer.

L14MNP
14-07-13, 11:57 AM
So does it still have 6 moving needles?

Sort of. Four of them move when you do. As they're lying on the bottom.

marc69
14-07-13, 12:00 PM
Sort of. Four of them move when you do. As they're lying on the bottom.
Quality, my turkish rolex works when you keep the front attched to the watch!

ABoresta
14-07-13, 08:32 PM
Right need a bit of advice, I went to wire up my dials today and the mk2 plug has 7 pins either side and the mk1 has 6. One of which is the tachometer. I colour matched nearly all the wires however the black wires are different and one brown has different colours as well.

I was just wondering if anybody could help me with wiring diagrams or if someone has done this before.

The battery light came on and the handbrake light came on also.

marc69
14-07-13, 09:52 PM
I have fitted mk1 dials into a mk2.

The green is for the Tachometer, which in mk2 is part of the plug in, not seperate as in mk1.

It depends what sort of dash was in it before? I can't rememeber if any wires did not clour match as it was a few years ago, but, to check, I would firstly just colour code join them, leaving a bit of wire on both the mk1 and mk2 plug so you can go back for reference.

Then see if anything doesn't work, follw the circuit board on the back of the original and your replace ment and work it out from that.

I do rememebr something about two black wires, one is thick and the other was thinner?

ABoresta
15-07-13, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your reply! I found a how to guide after some deep searching which shows it is just simply a colour to colour match and my guess work with the two black wires was correct. I am having trouble with the tachometer though. I have run the green wire from near the ecu to the 14 pin plug for the dials however it is is still not working. I have found a loose green wire in the engine bay which has a black sleeve on it near the ignition coil and the switched live wires has this got something to do with the tachometer by any chance? I have posted another thread with the picture of the wire I mean.

Cheers

marc69
15-07-13, 09:19 PM
I think that gereen one will atatch to one of the bottom pins on your coil? I'll need to look at the pic.

kent14sr
16-07-13, 09:26 AM
The mk1 dials look better as they have 6 moving needles

So do GSI clocks in a mk2.

Only SR/SRi mk2 clocks have lights for battery and oil (as do certain mk1 dials - eg Sting, Antibes)

brainsnova
16-07-13, 01:48 PM
I just assumed he had Sri clocks

ABoresta
16-07-13, 05:04 PM
I just assumed he had Sri clocks

I do have Sri clocks mate