PDA

View Full Version : kayaking

jimbob-mcgrew
08-07-13, 12:32 PM
a mate of mine built a kayak from scratch, and we launched it on the river thames the other day. had a few goes in it each, single's much more stable, altho we did tandem it without getting wet lol.
enjoyed it so much I bought myself a cheap, second-hand kayak to join him for some long distance runs.

any of you on here kayak at all ? or into water sports ? (surfings good too)
would recommend trying some if not, there a good laugh :)

simonm
08-07-13, 01:10 PM
I used to do a bit of river canoeing good fun on the rapids and small water falls and that still have all my gear will get at it again later in the year when the water levels pick up on the rivers. I had to give up a few years back with problems with water in my ears :(

L14MNP
08-07-13, 01:40 PM
PWC FTW

Although we aren't allowed in many places. :/

The homebrew canoe sounds like a winner!

L33 LEG
08-07-13, 02:03 PM
My brother is proper into his kayaks. We're going to take a few to Spain with us next month so I'm going to try it out for the first time, hopefully I won't get too wet lol

simonm
08-07-13, 04:09 PM
Lol your gonna get wet it's great fun tho

L33 LEG
08-07-13, 04:27 PM
I'll get some videos of my first times testing it then lol

MK999
08-07-13, 04:51 PM
Mate of mine is big into playboats, been some fairly awesome pics over the years of him battling weirs and halfway down waterfalls.

Best was one taken from a distance because it was a huge drop, zoom in though and he's holding the paddle over his head with 'rock horn' hand signals, tongue out and eyes crossed. lol

Personally I never shared his enthusiasm of jumping into the thames when there's snow on the ground though.

L14MNP
08-07-13, 05:57 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/bcramer915/skijump.gif

WTF is a playboat? Sounds like something you buy in the Early Learning Centre. lol

Everything in life is better with an engine.

MK999
08-07-13, 05:59 PM
Shortass kayak for dicking about in lol

http://www.fluid-junction.com/blog/public/team-paddlers/Seth%20Chapelle/Missoula_small.jpg

L14MNP
08-07-13, 06:02 PM
Ah. Nice.

Needs an engine! Then he can race Bowler Wildcats. lol

MK999
08-07-13, 06:09 PM
He actually made a powered one as his AS level project, it managed about fcuk all but he made a very convincing video of it whirring around as he went along the river.... downstream, after paddling up to speed lol

L14MNP
08-07-13, 06:13 PM
What motor did he fit?

The one on Top Gear had a jet, iirc.

MK999
08-07-13, 06:22 PM
It was a motor out of a fairy powerbrush iirc! but overvolted about 4 times it's recommended power and about ready to die at any point... Can't for the life of me remember why he decided to use it or thought it would have enough power to it, but I remember him changing all the spec etc from "powered" to "paddling aid" and justifying it through some dubious research lol

These if anyone remembers them:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/cGUAAMXQIfJRFl3N/$(KGrHqRHJFEFENDy8O5cBRFl3MfS-Q~~60_35.JPG

jimbob-mcgrew
17-07-13, 12:01 AM
bloody capsized the other day didn't I .... I wasn't keen on the idea of getting a toe back up the river, but my mate wanted to. lets just say it pulled me under and I got a bit wet

L14MNP
17-07-13, 12:54 AM
bloody capsized the other day didn't I .... I wasn't keen on the idea of getting a toe back up the river, but my mate wanted to. lets just say it pulled me under and I got a bit wet

Hope it's cleaner than one of the rivers I use, to access the sea! I have been stuck in it during low tide, and the foot deep, black mud doesn't put you in mind of the med! lol

You have to expect to get soaked, imo. It's all part of the game.

I had to be towed in by a RIB, once. Damn did that hurt my hand!