PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car with no v5

Adam
07-07-13, 10:13 PM
How much of a no-no is this ?
Seller seems genuine. Says he's had it since May, previous owner mustn't have sent v5 or it got lost etc. He has both keys, service history etc

Worth a punt and hope he sends the v5 on to me after he's applied for a replacement ?

mowgli
07-07-13, 10:16 PM
hpi check??

maybe take a photo of the seller

at least he's being 'honest' about the v5. plenty of people have paid up only to find the owner can't find it... etc...

Adam
07-07-13, 10:17 PM
Hpi is fine. No worries at all.

mowgli
07-07-13, 10:22 PM
as long as he doesn't live in a caravan park, and gives you a full receipt, it should be ok. does the dvla do any form of fast-track v5 replacement service?

Adam
07-07-13, 10:30 PM
Not that I'm aware of. He did say he'd supply a full receipt.

Will F
07-07-13, 10:38 PM
It wouldn't bother me if it was for a few hundred quid, but its totally your liability as you're buying it knowing that he doesn't have the v5... That said, its illegal to sell a car without one, so he could be liable to an extent...?

Adam
07-07-13, 10:42 PM
Yeah it's a 50/50 call tbh. He sounds genuine enough but who doesn't when moneys involved ! Lol

blue_peg_16v
08-07-13, 12:23 AM
Get him to knock £25 off for cost off sending off for a log book if its hpi clear should be fine tbf mate

scott.parker
08-07-13, 06:29 AM
Well Baxterley sold his corsa without one to me, said the other lad was sending it on to him I've never had one for it so god knows who's getting tax disk reminders etc..

L33 LEG
08-07-13, 08:43 AM
I bought an old e30 cab which hadnt been on the road for years off an Asian lad in the centre of Birmingham behind a random garage with no logbook and later got one with no problems lol So I would take the risk personally but obviously not if the car was worth a lot. I've bought quite a few cars without them and never had a problem.

raf24
08-07-13, 09:19 AM
The guy i bought my nova from never gave me the V5,iirc i just went to the post office & got a form,filled it in & sent it off and it never cost me a penny but you need to know the chassis number etc,that was three years ago it may have changed now.

Jack
08-07-13, 12:26 PM
If the seller is genuine and it wasn't a car you could just get elsewhere, I'd consider it as the HPI is ok. V62 is the form you need, here (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/209995/v62.pdf)

Makes you wonder why he's only kept it a couple of months though? Or does he have a regular car turnover (i.e. trader)?