PDA

View Full Version : Car choice/decision etc.

scott.parker
07-07-13, 10:00 PM
Right I know I've asked these things before, and I did sell the track car of my own back, but I'm now trying to figure out what to do with the saloon, as it's been sat for over a year now and I've not worked on it.. So do I sell it as it is as a project (probably at a loss)
Then put the x16xe with or without the turbo conversion into the yellow hatch?
If I keep the loon I've got to be realistic and sell a car, so would have to sell the Astra..
But then my daily car would be the yellow hatch :s

Really don't know what to do..
Sometimes I just want to sell the lot!

Lee H
07-07-13, 10:11 PM
I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Have pretty much sold the Nova now, MR2 has let me down again today for the second time after its expensive engine build so that might be going and then I'll just have the Type R left which I plan to keep.

Figuring that it's a fairly decent car and does most things well although it not mega quick. Its roomy, big boot, all the toys but still pretty fun to drive. Should save me a fortune.

Hobbit
07-07-13, 10:13 PM
Sell the loon and keep the astra as a daily. Wouldn't fancy a nova as a daily and having 2 projects will always be a stretch.

Adam
07-07-13, 10:15 PM
I'd go with Hobbits view.
Wouldnt be keeping 2 novas

DAFTJOHN
07-07-13, 10:16 PM
Yeah, with hobbit. Sell the saloon. Best to have a daily and one car to keep an interest in, throw money at, do up - whatever you want to call it :) that way focus isn't lost and it will always be kept decent.

scott.parker
07-07-13, 10:21 PM
Humm.. Idea! Am I right in thinking you can turbo charge the x18xe1 with the vxr setup?
If so I could turbo my Astra :)
And then just x16xe the hatch..

marc69
07-07-13, 10:37 PM
I personally wouldn't put the xe in the yellow car seems a real shame to break the originality of it. I use a Nova as an everyday car, nothing wrong with them if you give them a good service every year and great fuel consumption. They were designed as everyday runners so if it's in good condition why wouldn't it manage the same job today?

scott.parker
07-07-13, 10:40 PM
I personally wouldn't put the xe in the yellow car seems a real shame to break the originality of it. I use a Nova as an everyday car, nothing wrong with them if you give them a good service every year and great fuel consumption. They were designed as everyday runners so if it's in good condition why wouldn't it manage the same job today?

But that's why I've hot the Astra, as the 1.2 was ace on standard wheels high ride hight etc, but now it's pretty impractical lol very low, not much room and it's not comfortable for long drives, eg stratford to leeds!
I dunno..

marc69
07-07-13, 10:43 PM
Put the 1.2 back to standard and as the saloon is already a project, best place to start for a performance version, or upgrade the astra. Just personal preference, I love th early Novas as standard. But at the end of the day, completely your choice, depends what you ideally would like.

MK999
07-07-13, 10:48 PM
Humm.. Idea! Am I right in thinking you can turbo charge the x18xe1 with the vxr setup?
If so I could turbo my Astra :)
And then just x16xe the hatch..

Back to 2 projects again :p If you really wanted to do the loon you would have done it by now imo, I've even offered to go up and help you start it!

Keep 1 car at least reasonably standard (lets face it we're all modified car enthusiasts, how many of our dailies are bog standard) and 1 as a project as big as you need to make you happy, and decide which 2 cars you want that to be.

If it was personally me I'd run the loon as a smart daily with something sensible in it and the hatch as your show car/project.

scott.parker
07-07-13, 11:15 PM
Mark that's not true, it's just been difficult, I bough the loon just before leaving my last job, then I've moved into a new house, mortgage etc, so now I've got to try figure out what to do..
If I keep the loon the Astra goes..

chris gsi
07-07-13, 11:35 PM
I would sell the loon and drop the x16xe in the yellow hatch and turbo it at later date as that keeps your interest in the car and keep the astra as your daily

Hobbit
07-07-13, 11:38 PM
If you really wanted to do the loon you would have done it by now imo[

Finished yours now then? :p

Benn
08-07-13, 07:42 AM
To me, as you've spent the money on the hatch i'd say keep that and fit the engine in to it.

blue_peg_16v
08-07-13, 08:03 AM
Keep the hatch put the xe in it for a little more go and turbo at a later date and sell the loon

You may take a loss on the loon but at least you will get some money back in which can be used towards the turbo fund

Mazz
08-07-13, 09:29 AM
I know you hatch is clean, but i'm not sure on the saloon, but imo 2 Nova's (especially one as daily) is a no-no - MOT time would be be a nightmare

marc69
08-07-13, 12:40 PM
I know you hatch is clean, but i'm not sure on the saloon, but imo 2 Nova's (especially one as daily) is a no-no - MOT time would be be a nightmare

Depends how well you maintain them, at least MMOT time is cheap, I have run two Novas or a combo of Novas and real minis since 1998. Lately there has been an addition of a track car too...now taht is a bit too much.

But looking at MOTs with my Novas compared to the money spent by mates at MOT time and service time, there is no comparison.

Will F
08-07-13, 12:51 PM
Keep the loon and sell the hatch (I am a bit biased)

The hatch is done as far as it goes and is relaitvely standard and worth more...

The saloon is more retro, rarer and generally more cool.

paul080803
08-07-13, 12:56 PM
As Will said!

Hobbit
08-07-13, 01:16 PM
Not sure I'd want to try and compete with Will for the coolest parchment loon though. lol Where as Scott already has the coolest Jamaica hatch. :)

MK999
08-07-13, 01:38 PM
Finished yours now then? :p

Fair point lol

Will F
08-07-13, 03:24 PM
Awww shucks - I wasnt searching for praise... but I'll take that Hobbit! lol

And I think Scott's is Gazelle, so we're Ok!

brainsnova
08-07-13, 04:01 PM
1 ass,1 car if you have your own garage 1 ass, 2 car

Calamity Josh
08-07-13, 06:19 PM
not sure why people are saying nova's are such a bad daily? i've done 8,000 miles in mine in 5 months, with no complaints at all :)

Southie
08-07-13, 07:04 PM
I had all my Novas as a daily, luckily I had the wife's car as a backup as I was always having issues with mine.

Sell the saloon Scott, fit the 16xe as said in the hatch, then turbo it in time.

scott.parker
08-07-13, 07:25 PM
Keep the loon and sell the hatch (I am a bit biased)

The hatch is done as far as it goes and is relaitvely standard and worth more...

The saloon is more retro, rarer and generally more cool.

Will your right about the loon being retro cool, but it's going to cost me more money, and I'm sat here thinking, do I really want to go there again while having the hatch as an ongoing thing?? The answer is no..

You can't say you don't understand, as you have trimmed your fleet down some what..
So after a conversation with a mate earlier he said to me try get it to an mot station and see how it does, least that way you either can fix it to mot or sell with the advisory list so buyers no what's needed officially etc.

I think that's what I'm going to try, as as much as I want the loon and all my plans to come to fruition, I just have to be realistic.
Let's say I do the loon, what would my hatch be for?? Kinda leaves it pointless having it, so two modified mk1 Nova's just isn't the right way to go.

So I've made my mind up, I'll be selling the loon in the near future.

Will F
08-07-13, 07:53 PM
It just comes down to the loon or the hatch then.., the saloon will require a good few quid on it though so totally agree with your decision of you want to continue with something that's ready to go...

But won't you get bored with the hatch quickly and want to mod that more...? Or is that the point? Lol

Pistol Pete
08-07-13, 07:55 PM
Scrap the lot and buy something fun! lol

scott.parker
08-07-13, 07:57 PM
Oh I've thought about that, I've had the idea floating about in my head if either a 200sx s14, or a mk1.5 Mx5 1.8, or mr2s or old e46 m3s lol

scott.parker
08-07-13, 07:59 PM
It just comes down to the loon or the hatch then.., the saloon will require a good few quid on it though so totally agree with your decision of you want to continue with something that's ready to go...

But won't you get bored with the hatch quickly and want to mod that more...? Or is that the point? Lol

Lol has been so far eh, slowly evolved into a bit of nasty little weekend only car, and if I x16xe turbo it it's evolving even more..

Pistol Pete
08-07-13, 08:11 PM
If you must keep one, keep the one that long term will require less money. Didnt you just buy a house....

scott.parker
08-07-13, 08:17 PM
If you must keep one, keep the one that long term will require less money. Didnt you just buy a house....

Correct mate, hence I've had to rethink the situation and make a decision for my finances. Lol

blue_peg_16v
08-07-13, 09:04 PM
I know we're your coming from Scott with my van getting closer to the end I keep looking at my saloon and thinking do I really still need this, the short answer is no but then I look again and I've had it over 10 years now its part of the family and is a fairly well known car so I decided to keep the 2 and the loon rebuild will be a longer term project to get it back similar to how it used to be, the bonus is ill have the van on the road so won't be tempted to rush the saloon so can spend time on it and get it just how I want it

Pistol Pete
08-07-13, 09:13 PM
As i said mate...the one that requires less cash will be the better choice. Owning a house, spare cash......WTF is that!!