PDA

View Full Version : Chassis tuning advice

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 01:04 PM
Hi guys just after some advice on tuning my chassis because after getting the xe in I feel corners are now a slight let down hahah

So defiantly going to be getting polybushes and a strut brace

I was thinking of getting avo coilivers ?? Are they any good

A quick rack. But I don't know if it will make the car to twitchy for day to day driving

Is there anything else I should consider ??
Thanks in advance :)

Novasport
07-07-13, 01:35 PM
GAZ coilovers are a good choice or for non coilovers, go for Bilstein yellows with a quality spring kit designed for an XE.
If you go for GAZ they will recommend a spring for the typr of driving and engine size.
GSi or Diesel tie bars lowered at the front with spacer blocks. There are varying opinions on anti-roll bars but I am not best placed to advise if to run one or not.
Poly bushes may help. I assume you have welded in the chassis strenthening kit and seam welded the bay already.

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 01:45 PM
I have already seam welded the whole car through out. And there is an after market anti roll bar but its like 200 quid lol

Referring to the gaz coilovers would I need the gold ones ??

Will F
07-07-13, 02:00 PM
Gold are a bit overkill but if you can afford £900 go for it. The gt kit will be fine though

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 02:11 PM
Sweet :) I could always get stiffer springs anyway if I don't like it

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 06:44 PM
Just looked at anti roll bars. The H and R one costs 350 quid :O !!!! There's no way it's effective enough for that price !?!?!?!

Stuart
07-07-13, 08:16 PM
You don't need antiroll bars... Well not of the gm design anyway, and if you get something proper designed and made then you will be looking at near a grand anyway,

Strut brace..... Hmm, dubious benefit IMHO.
Decent tyres, bilstens yellows, new rubber bushes or poly if you like and a sensible geometry setup

MK999
07-07-13, 08:20 PM
Anything that follows the standard rubber mounted design isn't worth it imo, but opinion is divided shall we say :p

There's a few discussions on the forums that normally get a bit heated and circular if you wanna search for them, but rather than dragging it out here feel free to PM if you want my opinion of the physical limitations of them.

I would say try it without, and then with the standard ARB, and well greased polybushes as that removes the worst trait of the standard design imo, friction and see what you personally prefer BUT bear in mind you can get a similar relationship, and better overall characteristics with stiffer springs and no (standard) ARB.

One of the things you can do is move as much weight to the rear as possible, as it's basically the imbalance of weight that's the source of the understeer which is what you're calling 'disappointing' handling and why you're wanting a quick rack... which won't solve the actual problem, what you really want is less steering input for the same result with the same rack, but it is a good idea if you find that with a well set up car you're crossing arms to get round tight bends.

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 08:38 PM
Well it's only got the 1.2 antiroll bar so it's abit tiny hahahah so might try that next time I am fettleing :p and there's not a lot I can move to the back other than the battery. Will be getting fibre glass bonnet and wings anyway cuz one of the wings is suffering from novaitus :p hahahahhaha

Stuart
07-07-13, 08:50 PM
Iirc all the Arbs were the same size.... And badly mounted, so pointless.

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 08:56 PM
So no roll bar and stiffer springs ?? I though arb helps load up the tyre during corners ?? And I was looking at gettin some Toyo 888,s I think there called ??

Stuart
07-07-13, 09:12 PM
A good Arb will do that yes..... Nova ones though, no.

888's are a waste on the road for nearly all cars Imho.
And they will mask terrible suspension

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 09:19 PM
So what tyres do you recommend because I like the semi slick grip ( in the dry lol ) and I am getting some gaz coil overs would they fit stiffer springs when I order them ??

MK999
07-07-13, 09:47 PM
Tell gaz the car specs and your requirements, they're very good at speccing a set to what you need.

Hobbit
07-07-13, 09:52 PM
Personally I wouldn't go for Gaz. I have Billy's on mine. Add to that 350lb springs, poly bushes and you'll have a decent set up for an xe imo

Stuart
07-07-13, 09:53 PM
Why do you feel the need for semi slick tyres on the road?
I've driven many silly powered cars on the road on 'normal' tyres with no ill effects

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 09:58 PM
I just though it would give me that extra bit of grip lol it's already got toyos on em and they do quite well :) I will have to give em a ring lol

I was going do rose joints but I've heard bad things bad bad things lol

Stuart
07-07-13, 10:00 PM
I imagine some driver training would be more of an improvement than semi slicks.

Toyo road tyres are dire though. Really liking the pzero neros on many cars I've used.

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 10:05 PM
Hahahaha cheeky and Pirelli's. ?? They were going be my next choice because I've only had the car on the road a few weeks and the tyres haven't lasted long hahahh

Big_Chap
07-07-13, 10:48 PM
I imagine some driver training would be more of an improvement than semi slicks.

Toyo road tyres are dire though. Really liking the pzero neros on many cars I've used.

i have used them the last 8 years or so, cracking tyre, mickey mouse sounding name though! haha

mowgli
07-07-13, 11:01 PM
Hahahaha cheeky and Pirelli's. ?? They were going be my next choice because I've only had the car on the road a few weeks and the tyres haven't lasted long hahahh

stu has made a fine point... some proper driver training, on a track will better equip you for faster driving. you might find that things you thought were wrong on your car, actually aren't

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 11:13 PM
So going to track days might help ??

mowgli
07-07-13, 11:20 PM
no, you'll only learn how crap some other drivers are. i mean hiring a driver coach

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 11:24 PM
Like an advanced driving course ??

mowgli
07-07-13, 11:28 PM
a bit, but you don't get some superior bloke with a beard & driving gloves telling you all sorts of irrelevant crap..... you get a bloke who teaches you how to drive fast, properly.

Hobbit
07-07-13, 11:32 PM
If you do a track day at Combe there are instructors on site that will go out with you and give you tips.

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 11:38 PM
What's the closest track in stoke on Trent ?? And I will have to have a see :) after some chassis tuning so I don't end up on my roof hahahahah

mowgli
07-07-13, 11:41 PM
donington or oulton as a guess

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 11:43 PM
I will have a look tomorrow always wanted do a track day anyway :) do you have to have a roll cage etc ??

Hobbit
07-07-13, 11:51 PM
Only if you run slicks. On road tires you don't need a cage

Marcusgeorge
07-07-13, 11:56 PM
Sweet :) all I can find at donington is what's called on the calendar is track day operators. Presumably this is just a day when you can turn up and drive ??

Stuart
08-07-13, 09:04 PM
Learning how to drive fast on crap tyres is Infinately more fun than driving slowly on good tyres lol

Marcusgeorge
08-07-13, 10:04 PM
Struggling to find those tyres Stuart :/ do they make them for cesaros ?? Checked loads of websites and local fast fit place don't have em either !??!?

Stuart
08-07-13, 10:07 PM
No idea what the smallest size is...
Try looking on the Pirelli site to check the sizes

Marcusgeorge
08-07-13, 10:11 PM
Will do dude :)

Marcusgeorge
09-07-13, 04:51 PM
Yea they don't sell those tyres in my size :(