PDA

View Full Version : What tell the idle control valve to do c20xe

nova_saloon
04-07-13, 03:39 PM
Hi, ive got a dodgey idle and have done for a while. but ive replaced the idle control valve a few times for 2nd hand ones at least 5 times, and it still does exactly the same thing when idling, but i unplug it and it idles flat at 1,100rpm. what tells the ecu to do, to tell what the idle control valve to do?

Adam
04-07-13, 05:25 PM
With it unplugged the idle valve will just sit in one position, hence the nice flat idle.

The ecu adjusts the valve depending on coolant temperature etc to change the idle speed for cold/warm running

When you say dodgy idle, as in what? low? up and down?

nova_saloon
04-07-13, 05:43 PM
Search nova c20xe idle on YouTube and there a picture of my clocks, the account name is gpr50bpy or may come up as Philip atkins

scott.parker
04-07-13, 07:11 PM
Search nova c20xe idle on YouTube and there a picture of my clocks, the account name is gpr50bpy or may come up as Philip atkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdli6AS7P0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Humm.. Bit lumpy up and down, but not that bad..

nova_saloon
04-07-13, 10:50 PM
It usually gets worse, who's else does it?

bakerboy83
05-07-13, 04:58 AM
I'm about to change my idle valve because of the same thing so I'm no help but interested in anyone's answers

nova_saloon
05-07-13, 01:24 PM
cool let me know how it goes, if it is acting the same as mine then i must know, is yours coil pack or a distributor type engine. as i have replaced my ICV a few times and hasn't changed a thing!

Benn
05-07-13, 01:47 PM
When you've cleaned it. You did re-oil it as i've seen them stick open/closed

bakerboy83
06-07-13, 02:32 PM
Coil pack. Just changed icv it's still doing it :mad: so can anyone whats next to look at mine only does it when it warms up if that helps
Cheers

nova_saloon
06-07-13, 05:56 PM
I cleaned all 5 of the ones I've tried, by flushing them
With brake cleaner then oil in them! Yeah mines playing about more so when hot to and I have a coil pack one so we need to work together, where in Hampshire are you? As I'm south London, meet at benn's and annoy him for a bit with questions! Haven't seen him since the last meet I went to!

bakerboy83
06-07-13, 06:35 PM
Haha sounds like a plan!!! I don't really know anything about engines I was just chancing it today but I did clean then new one that I bought as it was seconded hand. I had a little look for air leaks but think I'm ok on that so really don't know what's next to look for. I'm near Guildford mate just down the A3

nova_saloon
06-07-13, 08:10 PM
Cool I used to go to a university in Farnham so I am very familiar with the area! But I'm going to try a few more things, but if its the same problem! It's annoying! I've done everything! Literally! So not sure where to go now!

bakerboy83
06-07-13, 08:17 PM
What have you tried so far matey and what are you going to try next if you don't mind me asking
I'm actually closer to Farnham then Guildford think I'm the only one around here with a nova don't see any

nova_saloon
07-07-13, 01:17 AM
Haha I used to go to Uni in Farnham and go up and down the a3 nearly everyday! But to be honest I've tried it all, the next thing I was going to try was a hammer it's getting that annoying! But I was going to wiring in a diagnostics plug and have a garage look at what the engine is doing as that seems to be the only way forward at the moment!

Benn
07-07-13, 09:17 AM
I cleaned all 5 of the ones I've tried, by flushing them
With brake cleaner then oil in them! Yeah mines playing about more so when hot to and I have a coil pack one so we need to work together, where in Hampshire are you? As I'm south London, meet at benn's and annoy him for a bit with questions! Haven't seen him since the last meet I went to!

Come on down dude, i have loads of spares you can try...lol

nova_saloon
10-07-13, 01:34 AM
What spares have you got that is worth a go, baring in mind its coil pack type? not sure i want to show it to you, it'll make you cry what a mess its gotten in to :(

What i really need is someone with a coil pack engine in there car that is working super fine, then slowly swap piece by piece the parts over until its suddenly stops only then will we know! as the sad thing is i have changed as far as i know everything!!! so not sure what more i can do!

skud52
10-07-13, 06:15 AM
I had the problem years ago, in the end i changed the wiring loom and everything to dizzy and it was fine. I think it was the ecu that was fubar!

Benn
10-07-13, 07:52 AM
What spares have you got that is worth a go, baring in mind its coil pack type? not sure i want to show it to you, it'll make you cry what a mess its gotten in to :(

What i really need is someone with a coil pack engine in there car that is working super fine, then slowly swap piece by piece the parts over until its suddenly stops only then will we know! as the sad thing is i have changed as far as i know everything!!! so not sure what more i can do!

I have an afm, ecu, coil pack a few icv.. Maybe even the short icv and knock sensor loom...

nova_saloon
10-07-13, 11:44 AM
see thats the last thing i haven't replaced is the knock sensor, and the small loom that attaches them up around the back. see a lot of people seem to have had this problem and nobody has solved it. wish it was simple, but replacing everything to distributor is just what I shouldnt have to do! but i ruled out ecu when i replaced it 4 times! but a good working 4 pin afm maybe a good thing to try as well! did you have a coil pack before hand Benn? and did it have a lumpy idle at all? cause that would mean all your bits would technically be aaaalllll gooooood!

Benn
10-07-13, 01:14 PM
I ran a late coil pac xe yes, before going turbo. Perfect idle, best xe engine i ever had.

nova_saloon
10-07-13, 05:01 PM
oooooo well get you! show off! everybody else's sucks!!! well i just failed my m.o.t so going to fix it up and then we can make a play date perhaps?

Benn
10-07-13, 05:20 PM
I was lucky to buy a bargine from someone i know looked after it very well. And yeah, let me find it all then you can try bits.

nova_saloon
11-07-13, 12:58 AM
Thanks benn thats really appreciated.