PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder capacity change HELP please

NoVaBoOt26
03-07-13, 03:22 PM
Can anybody help me with this, I recieved this letter today

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/Chris_Hall26/b8cb944a2afd35113b7cafbc13988e4b.jpg

Cheers
Chris

skud52
03-07-13, 03:29 PM
Can you not just send them the new engine number abd their records should confirm. Unless youve not changed the engine then send a cover note with recipt from engine builder. Failing that find a friendly mot place to sign a letter saying the engine has been changed in a safe manner, or just sign it with any old name i doubt they will check

NoVaBoOt26
03-07-13, 03:49 PM
Can you not just send them the new engine number abd their records should confirm. Unless youve not changed the engine then send a cover note with recipt from engine builder. Failing that find a friendly mot place to sign a letter saying the engine has been changed in a safe manner, or just sign it with any old name i doubt they will check

I sent them the engine number to the already. I dnt know any mot people

Jack
03-07-13, 06:57 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?121295-*HOW-TO*-Log-engine-change-with-DVLA

Step 2. Get Evidence
Once the engine change has been completed and tested, you'll need to get evidence of the work carried out. This can be in one of a number of formats, but at minimum MUST contain the engine number and capacity (cc). Ideally, for extra DVLA kudos, the evidence should also state that the work has been undertaken to a level that satisfies vehicle safety standards.

The forms of evidence that the DVLA will accept are:

a) Receipt for the replacement engine.
This would come from the garage or parts shop that supplied and fitted the engine.

b) Written evidence from the manufacturer.
This would be a letter from Vauxhall stating they have inspected the car and can confirm the change.

c) An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.
This would be an independent physical vehicle check undertaken by a recogniesd motoring body (e.g. AA or RAC vehicle check).

d) Written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle.
This also covers the DIY jobs; a local garage will confirm the engine swap has been undertaken and is of a safe standard. You may also like to bundle this in with an MOT, if its due, as a pass will prove the car is roadworthy.

They need proof of the engine change (I'm assuming you're going across the 1.5 car tax threshold), that above is what they'll accept.

NoVaBoOt26
03-07-13, 07:43 PM
No, it's changing from 1.2 to 1.3 jack... I can't understand and don't know what to send them :confused:

MK999
03-07-13, 07:57 PM
I typed something out myself with address etc on and just got someone from a garage to sign it, just worded it as basically "this document confirms engine number XYZ, capacity x cc is fitted to registration y in a safe manner"

Jack
03-07-13, 08:09 PM
Ahh, seems they want evidence for all engine size changes now :(

John
03-07-13, 09:38 PM
Ahh, seems they want evidence for all engine size changes now :(

they requested this when i did my green xe, what 5 years ago? some jobsworth **** at the dvla probably sent it out. Its very contadictary, ie if you physically take the log book to the office ive heard of people getting their cc hanged there and then. Just Knock summat up on your computer dude :thumb:

Spudly
03-07-13, 10:30 PM
I think this is bloody ridiculous, the amount of people i know that have tried to get their engine conversions registered and their v5's just kept coming back unchanged/they wanted them to jump through more hoops, so theyve simply not bothered!

And the amount of crap they want now, its understandable why 90% of xe's arent registered!

MK999
03-07-13, 11:09 PM
Took me 2 minutes to write up a document for them, and got it signed at the MOT? If that's a lot of work then I pity people tbh.

scott.parker
03-07-13, 11:09 PM
It's really simple, get a garage to '' inspect'' the conversion, eg go to your local friendly mechanis garage and explain the situation, and let them know that all your after is headed paper relating to there garage to explain,/prove that the conversion has been chrcked/or done by them, all chassis / engine numbers match up.. Done.

Asa-James
03-07-13, 11:56 PM
with it stating "evidence from a ... vehicle enthusiasts club" could it not be done via PNG? after all, its a nova engine into a nova, and we are a club about nova's, what more could they ask for?

Pistol Pete
04-07-13, 12:57 AM
Took me 2 minutes to write up a document for them, and got it signed at the MOT? If that's a lot of work then I pity people tbh.

This. Rocket science it is not. And no hoops need to be jumped through either. The only non registered engine changes IMO are the lazy ones!

Iain
04-07-13, 08:28 AM
Although Jack's note (assuming it's from an official source) says that letter headed paper is only valid if the swap occurred before you got the vehicle, it works fine for me too. Just got someone to sign it

Jack
04-07-13, 12:44 PM
Asa, not sure if they'd recognise us. We did look into something similiar a while back for insurance valuations. There were just too many variables though - you'd need a nominated local person to inspect it (its bad enough sorting out RCs lol) who was suitably qualified, and a standard measure of quality that they'd have to check against. Not saying that you couldn't just wang the PNG logo onto a piece of paper and pretend to be us, just to satisfy the DVLA though... lol

Although Jack's note (assuming it's from an official source) says that letter headed paper is only valid if the swap occurred before you got the vehicle, it works fine for me too. Just got someone to sign it
That was taken from the old directgov website, not the built-for-retards gov.uk one they have now. Which has no useful information on it at all!

But yeah, that would work. Although got to be careful as if you've owned the car for, say, 5 years and all of a sudden the engine change was undertaken by a previous owner, they might ask why didn't you tell them 5 years ago lol

TBH though most DVLA wombles won't know what evidence is good or bad, if you take it to the counter at your local office and put an official-looking receipt/note/letter in front of their faces they'll accept it, then send off the V5 internally.

John
04-07-13, 05:22 PM
It's really simple, get a garage to '' inspect'' the conversion, eg go to your local friendly mechanis garage and explain the situation, and let them know that all your after is headed paper relating to there garage to explain,/prove that the conversion has been chrcked/or done by them, all chassis / engine numbers match up.. Done.

Not always easy when your car is declared sorn, and in a million pieces in your garage. This was my dilemma when i did mine, car was sorn and mid conversion when i sent the log book off. How come when you physically take the log book in to a dvla centre, they don't even look at the car?

MK999
04-07-13, 06:04 PM
If it's mid conversion in a million pieces it's unlikely you need to tax it in the correct class... take it for MOT when it's complete, get the garage to sign the paperwork, drive it back home as you are legally entitled to then either send it off and wait, or if you need the tax right away take it to a DVLA office (obviously by other transport means).

Mine actually took an age to get changed correctly by post and I was told by the DVLA in this situation to just tax the car in the lower band if I needed to use it as I'd done everything in my power to get it changed and it was just a matter of time.

I'd say it's actually harder if it's currently taxed, you're relying on it for transport and need to change the tax class immediately, as you can't book an MOT to get it to a garage untaxed (I think it's only a month before renewal you can do that?) and at that point you'd technically be running on invalid tax.

Iain
04-07-13, 06:06 PM
Mot emissions are possibly based on engine capacity on logbook/system though?

Asa-James
04-07-13, 07:30 PM
Mot emissions are possibly based on engine capacity on logbook/system though?

age of the car, or age of the engine IF older AND can be proven