PDA

View Full Version : Brake Failure

kbf71
30-06-13, 09:43 PM
I was really proud of being invited to race a 220bhp Triumph TR6 at Cadwell Park on Saturday. But then the brake pedal went to the floor on the 4th lap of practice :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lR3pc5oWQY

Investigation starts on Monday as no obvious signs on problems apart from still being able to push the pedal to the floor :/ No fluid leaks, etc. The car runs a full AP Racing twin-cylinder system with a balance bar and AP Callipers at the front, so going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

The "clicking" sound you hear before the crash is me frantically trying to pump the pedal to see if it would come back. The click is the sound of the pedal hitting the bulkhead...

chrisd1986
30-06-13, 09:55 PM
Prob a master cylender failure

mowgli
30-06-13, 09:58 PM
are you ok?

any pics of the front of it, as it looked a fairly hard impact

Stuart
30-06-13, 10:05 PM
Boiled fluid most likely...

kbf71
30-06-13, 10:29 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/kennybrackfan/IMG-20130629-00240_zpsc12522f1.jpg

It's running Wilwood 5.1 brake fluid so I'll have to see. The cylinders are new, fitted after I drove it Oulton Park last year when one of the seals popped and left em without front brakes (fortunately at the knickerbrook chicane where I managed not to hit anything). Doesn't seem to be any fluid leaks, but the pedal uses a balance bar to apportion load. The bar cocks over at a certain point of travel, could reduce load on the fronts if something rattled loose or the rods weren't adjusted correctly? Just a theory at the moment.

If it was cylinders, then AP are going to be in some trouble!

It's twisted the chassis a little but not torn any of the metal so should bend back ok. Body damage looks bad, but most panels are fibreglass bolt-on parts.

P.S. I'm ok, neck is pretty sore (standard) but I've been taking it easy today and it's not going to keep me out of work :p

Kev Turbo
01-07-13, 03:25 PM
Jesus - Lucky escape!

Spudly
01-07-13, 06:28 PM
Shiiiiiiit, not good!!

Good job you didnt clip anyone else though as that couldve been worse, glad to hear youre alright though, and damage looks to be minimal tbf:thumb:

Benn
01-07-13, 09:43 PM
Nice driving up till then tho.