PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning engine...

Pulsar_stu
30-06-13, 10:55 AM
Ok, so I bought a complete engine and gearbox setup for my sr.
It's not the dirtiest engine I've seen! But while its sat on the garage floor I thought I may aswell give it a wash?!?!?
What's best to use on the engine and gearbox without stripping it all down and sending it away to be chemically cleaned.

I just want to clean it and fit it in the engine bay without spending days on the cleaning lol

What products do you guys use?

turbojolt
30-06-13, 11:03 AM
I used a jet wash and some brake cleaner a neighbour gave me

also bought some stiff hand brushes from wilkos for a quid aswell to really scrub at it, takes ages I got very bored doing it tbh, so mine isn't crystal clean but I can pick it up with out getting messy now

Pulsar_stu
30-06-13, 11:05 AM
Yeah my main concern was getting bored of doing it..
I have some brake cleaner so will give that a go to start with.
Thanks for that.

turbojolt
30-06-13, 11:09 AM
honestly its the most dull task ever!!

MK999
30-06-13, 11:21 AM
Comma Hyperclean.

I like it so much I have a 25l drum sat in the garage for parts cleaning, engine bays, engine strip downs etc. It's oil based so it eats through the grime but it emulsifies with water so it jet washes off.

meritlover
30-06-13, 11:39 AM
Jizer and some stiff brushes, then power wash.

chrisd1986
30-06-13, 12:23 PM
I used auto glym engine and machine de greaser and for then wheel acid after that to shif most of the stains on the gearbox, then i got a wire wheel for my drill and cleaned the rest up with that and painted engine and box in cylender black paint

Pulsar_stu
30-06-13, 03:05 PM
Thanks all :)
I will grab some cleaner and just get on with it then.

Not sure if I should strip it right down then clen everything and then paint it all.
Or just clean it all and keep it honest and clean.

chrisd1986
30-06-13, 04:32 PM
Strip it all down and do a proper job, it will be more rewarding when youve got a new looking engine in a shiney bay

steviegsi
30-06-13, 05:47 PM
Petrol is probably the best thing I have used as per someone on here's advice a while back. I hear oven cleaner works too but I have never tried it.

Pulsar_stu
30-06-13, 06:10 PM
I really need to put a weekend aside don't I lol
I was going to try oven cleaner but the stuff I have says not to use it on ally and I was t sure if the sr engine has an ally head or not so didn't bother :)
Guess I need to take the bull by its horns :)

Thanks again all.