PDA

View Full Version : Weekend plans?

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 08:08 AM
Hi All,

Currently stuck out in the Iraq desert working on rotation dreaming of a weekend off.

What do you all have planned, Anything exciting?

Kev

burgo
28-06-13, 08:17 AM
Im at Silverstone all weekend ;)

turbojolt
28-06-13, 08:27 AM
Im at Silverstone all weekend ;)

my birds old man has been there since yesterday!

im working lol

Jedro
28-06-13, 08:39 AM
i got 1 more shift tonight and im off for over a week... seeing some family at bridlington this weekend and hoping to take the corsa away racing the next weekend... going to sit on my **** and drink beer all week

bazzap8389
28-06-13, 08:45 AM
Hi All,

Currently stuck out in the Iraq desert working on rotation dreaming of a weekend off.

What do you all have planned, Anything exciting?

Kev

What do you work as?

I'll be out in town tonight then probably suffer tomorrow and just chill with the bird that's about it.

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 09:00 AM
Currently working as a Technical Project manager working on a large telecoms project in the oil field, on my last 3 weeks of this job so daring to dream of a weekend off soon :)

leggattr
28-06-13, 09:25 AM
Getting married Sunday... So nothing much!

Iain
28-06-13, 09:37 AM
leggattr wins lol

I'm hopefully painting my Nova bumpers and making a gate for my house. Weather dependent!

skud52
28-06-13, 10:01 AM
Killing my nova on the rolling road all weekend in the hope of getting it run in for vw show next weekend!

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 10:32 AM

Congratulations - Hope the weather is kind!

leggattr
28-06-13, 10:39 AM
Cheers could do with some of that desert sun this way!!

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 11:16 AM
Cheers could do with some of that desert sun this way!!

Its stupidly hot right now - Wouldn't make a very good wedding temperature! Have a great day.

turbojolt
28-06-13, 11:37 AM
whats it like working out there? my brother might be off to qutar soon, the money he is talking about is crazy!

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 11:43 AM
whats it like working out there? my brother might be off to qutar soon, the money he is talking about is crazy!

Its ok - Experience and career wise its priceless, money wise yeah of course it lines the pockets or we wouldn't be here. Work wise its tough and demanding but that's why we are here.
Middle East in general is a hotbed of opportunities right now if your willing to work your socks off and move from the UK comfort zone.

Downside is I am completely removed from my hobbies and living them through forums but its not forever. As they say no pain no gain.

turbojolt
28-06-13, 01:01 PM
Its ok - Experience and career wise its priceless, money wise yeah of course it lines the pockets or we wouldn't be here. Work wise its tough and demanding but that's why we are here.
Middle East in general is a hotbed of opportunities right now if your willing to work your socks off and move from the UK comfort zone.

Downside is I am completely removed from my hobbies and living them through forums but its not forever. As they say no pain no gain.

you out there April to April then?

Jack
28-06-13, 01:06 PM
A lot of IT work going on in Saudi at the mo as well if you have the right experience. Some of our (Boeing) guys here have been approached with pretty lucrative pay deals!

This weekend though I shall be mostly putting my bike back together, so guaranteed rain lol Then getting tyres and A/C sorted out on the Avensis on Sunday.

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 01:15 PM
you out there April to April then?

Month on month off at the moment - Month off in Dubai or some where hot usually.

This is my final rotation as I will be based in Dubai full time after this on a similar deal so will get my life back :) What line of work are you in?

turbojolt
28-06-13, 01:20 PM
I run my own landscaping company, but my brother is a pipefitter so he will be working in the oil fields

do you still get the tax breaks if your one month on one moth off then?

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 01:58 PM
I run my own landscaping company, but my brother is a pipefitter so he will be working in the oil fields

do you still get the tax breaks if your one month on one moth off then?

I am Dubai resident and don't spend anytime in the UK. The rules is less than 90 days and your tax free.

philip
28-06-13, 01:58 PM
Grabbing 6-12 in the morning, cv boots to change on corsa gsi before mot monday, strip peterGsi's 8v head ready to port, build a 20xe head up, finish stripping a 20xe bottom end, take transfer box and gearbox out my evo if itsnt raining, bike carb x14xe inlet to clean up where they've welded runners onto original flange. All fun.

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 02:04 PM
Grabbing 6-12 in the morning, cv boots to change on corsa gsi before mot monday, strip peterGsi's 8v head ready to port, build a 20xe head up, finish stripping a 20xe bottom end, take transfer box and gearbox out my evo if itsnt raining, bike carb x14xe inlet to clean up where they've welded runners onto original flange. All fun.

Rep +1 for your sheer commitment :)

philip
28-06-13, 02:06 PM
Kev - what do you do in dubai? I'm time served as a mech eng, in aerospace at moment but been thinking about contracting, just not sure where.

Mike
28-06-13, 02:12 PM
Going to a friends wedding tonight/tomorrow, then jaunting back across the country to Silverstone early doors Sunday.

Novasport
28-06-13, 02:19 PM

Good day to get married, it is my wedding anniversary. 6 years on Sunday, hope the weather is better than ours was. Mind it did not spoil what was an awesome day.

This weekend I am at work in the morning then need to fit my new Magnex to the Spider and replace the coolant temp sensor plus loads of other jobs.
Sunday I will take the missus out for a meal on our anniversary. Getting married is expensive, you never stop paying for it!

bazil
28-06-13, 02:25 PM
Gutted, have to work on Sunday,

My first weekend shift ( outside of gritting ) in 5 years :(

Kev Turbo
28-06-13, 02:26 PM
Kev - what do you do in dubai? I'm time served as a mech eng, in aerospace at moment but been thinking about contracting, just not sure where.

Honestly I couldn't help you with this. All I would say is get into the oil and gas industry, So much work right now in all areas. Pays pretty well!

Novaload_Nick
28-06-13, 02:31 PM

Airbus??

novadave24
28-06-13, 03:04 PM
work on the Saturday afternoon going to do some holiday shopping with my girlfriend and sunday I going to look at a Vauxhall corsa for sale need something cheaper to run and save my money for getting my nova fixed lol

philip
28-06-13, 03:46 PM
Nick - yeah airbus but time served at kelloggs, there 9 years before airbus.

Andy
28-06-13, 03:47 PM
Playing golf on sunday.

bazzap8389
28-06-13, 04:02 PM
Nick - yeah airbus but time served at kelloggs, there 9 years before airbus.

Plenty of oil related work up here mate, the paper is always full of oil company's advertising jobs

deneil_gsi2000
28-06-13, 04:48 PM
Was meant to be at glastonbury, but the misses is due anytime now so it was a polite f#×$ off when I said "shall I still go then" lol

brainsnova
28-06-13, 07:54 PM
Fitting a clutch,csc and pads on my van and driving it on Sunday lol

turbojolt
28-06-13, 07:57 PM
Fitting a clutch,csc and pads on my van and driving it on Sunday lol

is that a tranny your fitting the clutch to?

my clutch is riding higher then I like and was wondering how hard the swap is (I have a 2.5 smiley)

mowgli
28-06-13, 08:07 PM
/\ box out. its not too bad as there is plenty of room to do it.

my weekend involves setting on 3 brickies at a house refurb we are doing, then harry potter experience in afternoon for daughters birthday, then sunday is set aside for building my 2013 wheelie bin racer for the hinckley soapbox race

chris gsi
28-06-13, 09:18 PM
I'm off to castle combe action day on Saturday and the I will be turning one of our spare rooms in to a nursery on Sunday

dave2beetle
28-06-13, 09:49 PM
Killing my nova on the rolling road all weekend in the hope of getting it run in for vw show next weekend!

Aint Bug Jam another couple of weeks yet fella?

dave2beetle
28-06-13, 09:50 PM
I'm off to castle combe action day on Saturday and the I will be turning one of our spare rooms in to a nursery on Sunday

Congrats...:)