PDA

View Full Version : Space frame

bazzap8389
23-06-13, 05:17 PM
Would my nova still be road legal if I got it space framed? If it was would it have to go on a q plate or anything?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Barry

mowgli
23-06-13, 05:20 PM
it would definitely become a 'special', but if done properly, and then tested, it would be road legal. as for the q plate, you could do a reg transfer after its passed.

bazzap8389
23-06-13, 05:26 PM
I'm liking the idea of this then, deffinitely an option if my shell is passed fixing. Thanks mowgli :)

MK999
23-06-13, 07:19 PM
Last time I checked ~a year ago it was over a grand for a basic IVA test, but the rules keep changing.

kent14sr
23-06-13, 07:46 PM
My MOT tester was telling me yesterday that one off IVA tests are now near impossible to pass, with far more stringent/and enforced requirements coming in earlier this year - seemingly to discourage people seeking one off approval

You would definitely need to undertake an IVA, as it is a modification to the "monocoque shell/chassis"

Definitely a Q plate - especially if you have a non original engine/gearbox/brakes/steering

Interestingly enough, a turreted rear suspension conversion would also require an IVA and if VOSA quote that "a notched cutout in a structural part of the monocoque shell/chassis" would definitely require an IVA - reading into this it could mean all redtop conversions could fall into this.

philip
23-06-13, 08:46 PM
didn't think q plates were used anymore, thought more 'age related' plates.

marc69
23-06-13, 08:51 PM
Would it not be cheaper and easier to get a good shell if yours is past it...besides you might decide it is saveable

bazzap8389
24-06-13, 06:25 AM
My MOT tester was telling me yesterday that one off IVA tests are now near impossible to pass, with far more stringent/and enforced requirements coming in earlier this year - seemingly to discourage people seeking one off approval

You would definitely need to undertake an IVA, as it is a modification to the "monocoque shell/chassis"

Definitely a Q plate - especially if you have a non original engine/gearbox/brakes/steering

Interestingly enough, a turreted rear suspension conversion would also require an IVA and if VOSA quote that "a notched cutout in a structural part of the monocoque shell/chassis" would definitely require an IVA - reading into this it could mean all redtop conversions could fall into this.
Some good info there, are these tests done at a local garage? I wonder if I could pay the tester some money and he would pass it lol

didn't think q plates were used anymore, thought more 'age related' plates.
I have no idea tbh.

Would it not be cheaper and easier to get a good shell if yours is past it...besides you might decide it is saveable
Yeah I'm sure it would be much cheaper but in determined I'll be saving this car!

Last time I checked ~a year ago it was over a grand for a basic IVA test, but the rules keep changing.

Certainly not cheap for a one off test!

kent14sr
24-06-13, 07:39 AM
No IVAs are conducted at your local VOSA centre, local being a little illusive as most have/are closing so it likely means a long drive!

bazzap8389
24-06-13, 11:14 PM
There is a vosa test station 5 mins drive from my house, unsure whether it's for cars or just lorries etc though.

conad
24-06-13, 11:24 PM
I may be wrong but I think a vosa station is an all rounder.... Cars, lorries, vans, the lot! Might be worthggoing for a chat with them.

turbojolt
24-06-13, 11:24 PM
I don't know of any space framed nova's on the road? I know I've seen pictures of a fair few but they are all race cars!

dgbnova#1
25-06-13, 12:02 AM
All kit cars are space frame; use 60 % of original car and keep that I'd for your kit car. Not sure whats involved or how far you need to go with yours but some info must be out there regards this

marc69
25-06-13, 12:03 AM
I think if the chassis is changed/altered then it is registered as a different car thus needing inspection. There is a VOSA place in bridge of don, maybe pop in by and ask them in person?

Every Nova has chassis alterations from being jacked anyway lol

mowgli
25-06-13, 08:52 AM
you could find a hot rod forum & ask them.

turbojolt
25-06-13, 08:57 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224368_10151114752752118_463988675_n.jpg

this bloke still has this registered as a vw beetle and its tax exempt, it runs a n/a 2.2 Scooby engine apparently the mot tester/s don't really care

blue_peg_16v
25-06-13, 08:57 AM
I don't know of any space framed nova's on the road? I know I've seen pictures of a fair few but they are all race cars!

The rear wheel drive nova had a space framed front end and that was on the road

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/richardmee/null_zps707316fe.jpg

TeddyThom
25-06-13, 10:14 AM
The rear wheel drive nova had a space framed front end and that was on the road

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/richardmee/null_zps707316fe.jpg

Shame there isn't a build thread for that, would love to get pictures of how he done the flip front etc, I can't get my head round it lollol

And VOSA stations generally do do everything from lorries to one off builds. There is one near me. If it hasn't shut down already.

L14MNP
25-06-13, 11:39 AM

Hitting your inner arches or bulkhead with a lump hammer for clearance, falls into the same category.