PDA

View Full Version : Do any HONEST used parts sellers exist?!

b943weg
22-06-13, 11:22 AM
Hello, I've just been to collect my umpteenth used part from an online ad, and....surprise surprise...it's nothing like the excellent condition they described. It's rusty load of rubbish, and not even for the correct vehicle, heavily bodged, and fit for the bin. Fuel and time wasted!
Anyone else have this problem, or am I just unlucky!

marc69
22-06-13, 11:28 AM
Sometimes, swings in roundabouts, you can get really good sellers too.

When I was younger I rememeber a guy in massive house (clearly wealthy) told me he had this box load of early mini bits for a 1960 morris i had, went to the house gave him his money, trying to fit some of the bits was a nightmare. Over the years I have seen which random cars the bits all came off. That's how he has a big house, expoilting poorer people, he should have been a politician lol

Andy
22-06-13, 11:53 AM
Yep
Im as honest as I can be.Ive been told im too honest before by friends etc.
I live by a rule where I would only sell what I would be willing to buy myself.Iv been to view cars etc that are bent and ones that have been downright fukking dangerous.How these people sleep at night is beyond comprehension.

mowgli
22-06-13, 03:59 PM
Hello, I've just been to collect my umpteenth used part from an online ad, and....surprise surprise...it's nothing like the excellent condition they described. It's rusty load of rubbish, and not even for the correct vehicle, heavily bodged, and fit for the bin. Fuel and time wasted!
Anyone else have this problem, or am I just unlucky!

what were you looking for then?

b943weg
22-06-13, 06:04 PM
For my e16 gsi I bought a standard back box (rotten inside but useable), an Ashley backbox (well rusty all over,one bracket needed cutting off), a standard mid pipe (it is brand new...but for a Nova with a CAT (for sale if anyone wants it)), and a 'straight through' middle box. This turned out to be a) home made, terribly, and b) missing a mounting flange. I let the seller keep it as it was only Fit for the skip!
Previously I bought some 'standard' calipers..when they didn't fit in my standard rims, some investigation showed them to be from a Carlton diesel!
the list goes on!
when I sell something it is always honestly described

8valve-craig
22-06-13, 07:11 PM
There are good sellers out there. I consider myself one of them. Seling around 200 Used items a month and only very rarely experiencing unhappy customers, however even then they are dealt with proffesionally. Many of you will have dealt with me at some point, and as stated are very unlikely not to have been satisfied.

On the flip side though it seems like everything i buy online is other than as described. Really pisses me off, as when i sell something i preffer to undersell it than to describe it as *Mint*, unless it actually is.

Bought a Pace dry sump oil tank this week. Very expensive, and supposedly in "excellent" condition, but it arrives dented, stained, scratched & much bigger in size than the advertised size.

Adam
22-06-13, 07:35 PM
I hope I'm a honest seller. Id class myself as one anyway. Nothing pisses me off more than sellers blatantly lying (sometimes to your face !) about whatever. And it has happened plenty of times in the past.

scott.parker
22-06-13, 09:04 PM
Well maybe we should start a club members section for honest only sellers, who place loads of pictures and don't lie..
As I've also in the past few months been victim to these cutn sellers who clearly think we all want to bent over and **** raped..

I sell as Andy said, and I expect everyone else to do the same, but this is the problem, there's a lot of bastturds out there that love to laugh at you and take your money for scrap!

bazzap8389
23-06-13, 05:54 AM
Got to say im very happy, everything I've bought from a seller on Png (so far) has been as described.

8valve-craig
23-06-13, 08:52 AM
I find that although clearly explaining defects or special notes in red bold text might lose a few sales, the ones it does attract are mostly genuine,

Also there is a responsibility on the buyer to actually study the ad. A lot of buyers are using phones to purchase with, viewing tiny pictures and not reading the full advert, then complaining.

J398SUR
23-06-13, 09:07 AM
Its the Mint Body that gets me ... Iv visited many sellers over the years and been blown away by the way people class there cars.

Sorry rant over !

Mieran
23-06-13, 10:46 AM
Number one rule is don't buy anything from breakers on forums, they don't know anything about the cars that come in to break and describe everything as mint.

b943weg
23-06-13, 10:52 AM
The thing that p***see me off the most is the 3 hours of time you waste collecting the parts, and the expensive liquid you burn to get there!
I thing we've all driven a long distance to look at a car or parts that's not as described, then felt bad when you have to politely tell the owner that their stuff is scrap... When you actually want to give then a knuckle sandwich.
I won't be driving more than 30 miles again to look at bits, and I'll be asking to be emailed high res photos

Mieran
23-06-13, 11:03 AM
I've stopped travelling more than 50 miles for cars now, I've wasted far too much on petrol looking at shiitters described as very good condition.

kbnova
23-06-13, 11:06 AM
I buy and sell damaged cars here in n Ireland, and break a lot of the cars, used parts where the money is, but ive stopped selling on forums now due to the amountof time wasters, but this is prob only due to the amount of tossers selling parts,
ive went to look at alloys that where scrap and seller listed as mint with good tyres, makes me mad, cos im tared with the same brush as these clowns

dgbnova#1
23-06-13, 11:10 AM
I can see this thread running into many pages....
I have loads to sell here and would keep or bin parts that are not worth selling on. try to be as acurate as possible multiple photos etc but yes have fall fowl to the "mint" and other nonsence advertise of parts in the past that's the price you pay sometimes otherwise we would all buy new but that's not an option as ether discontinued or to expensive.

kbnova
23-06-13, 11:12 AM
ebay only place to sell, or gumtree

raf24
23-06-13, 11:19 AM
Ebay/paypal are greedy basstards with their fees etc & its getting worse with royal mail raping you for sending a parcel..i'm getting to the stage that i cant be fcuked with the hassle of selling on there now & that's not counting the amount of idiots that bid & dont pay.

b943weg
23-06-13, 12:11 PM
That's why you end up driving to fetch things...people have to charge a lot of money to post things. Cars parts are big and heavy, and it's expensive to post things. You'd be just as angry either way...if you pay £30 delivery or £30 fuel to collect.
all that's needed us some honesty. I don't mind buying something if it needs restoring, as long as I know it beforehand and the price reflects condition.
being honest doesn't cost anything!

mowgli
23-06-13, 12:24 PM
its buyer beware...

if someone is advertising some stuff & doesn't give enough photos to get a good enough guide to their quality, don't bid.

if you are interested & ask for more pics, if they don't send them, don't buy.

fuel costs way more than postage, i've before now, asked members on here who are local to the item to collect it & pack it for me to send a courier, then covered their costs for doing so, we are a community on here. if someone asked me to do it, i would happily do so.

whenever i've bought anything of the net, or here, i've never had any bother with the goods ever...

when i sell something, i only sell it if its any good. whats the point of upsetting people?

kbnova
23-06-13, 12:26 PM
your rite, imports are the worst

good community set up on here, few top class members on here been very helpful,

marc69
23-06-13, 12:28 PM
Living in aberdeen, if your going to buy a Nova you generally have to travel. When i went to buy my XE, it was a case of leaving at 7 in the morning and getting back at midnight. I travelled between three cars on the same day. The two that looked attcactive were bad runners and rusty as hell, the one I bought was the one that rom the pics and description I was least interested in.

I bought a car from the south coast a few years ago and in the pics it looked really good so, paid through paypal, got it delivered to find that mechanically perfect meant two front seized calipers and knackered rear bearing. Some discussion etc and got a little money refunded and luckily ofr me, the car is very close to mint, probably the best original unrestored example I have seen in real life. But I think I was lucky on this occasion. I have travelled far and wide looking at "mint" cars which the owner must have severe cateracts. I doubt I'll ever travel to look again. Incidently this is across all cars, not jsut Novas.

Anyway, as I said re sellers, some are disspointing and others are really good for parts. If your buying here, most folk are really good and knowledgeable so you shouldn't have many problems.

mowgli
23-06-13, 12:34 PM
early novas came from the factory with seized calipers and knackered wheel bearings, didn't they???? lol

turbojolt
23-06-13, 12:43 PM
screw using royal mail, im starting to use 'my Hermes' under half the price to send stuff and you don't have to wait around indoors like most companys, you can just drop it off at one of there many drop off shops (normally a local corner shop)

royal mail wanted £8.90 for one parcel, my Hermes only wanted £3.50 +vat

BENDOGGER
23-06-13, 01:07 PM
Myhermes are cheap but I tell people they are slow but you get what you pay for

brainsnova
23-06-13, 01:24 PM
Myhermes uses sub contractors so you get some right bangers turning up but one thing I like with couriers is it can be tracked

mowgli
23-06-13, 01:34 PM
royal mail is good for certain things, and i know of a postbox, where the postie collects at about 6:35pm, so i buy a print label off paypal, knock up the parcel & it gets there.

most of the cheap parcel companies are fine too

brainsnova
23-06-13, 02:26 PM
There are plenty honest sellers about and you get your fair share of time wasters and unfortunately dishonest sellers

marc69
23-06-13, 02:44 PM
early novas came from the factory with seized calipers and knackered wheel bearings, didn't they???? lol

and if you were lucky, no rust prevention was a freebie lol

Spudly
23-06-13, 02:56 PM
If you want a truly honest seller, buy something from David Fox, he is honest to a fault lol

I 'bought' his cav from him on behalf of Jack, and he had spent aaaages on the phone with Jack describing everything about the car, and when i went to collect it, the central locking had failed which he told me about, i got it home and swapped the c/l module off the SRi i was breaking/donoring for the nova at the time, and got it working again, repaired a few chaffed wires along the hinge in the boot which had probably caused the problem that morning, and when i told Dave, he offered to pay me for fixing it on behalf of Jack lol

Then i bought my combo from him a few months back, and again, more honest with it than he probably shouldve been, telling me all the niggles he had with it which he hadnt got round to (as he wasnt actually wanting to sell it when i showed up with the cash) but again, perfect seller!

If other sellers were only half as honest as him, all sales would be flawless:thumb:

8valve-craig
23-06-13, 03:07 PM
Number one rule is don't buy anything from breakers on forums, they don't know anything about the cars that come in to break and describe everything as mint.

Thats the stupidest comment I have read for ages.