PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Suspension

murph-gsi
16-06-13, 02:45 PM
Hi, I am just wondering. :confused:

What is the bilstein B4 suspension like? ( As I have a set rears here and was going to buy some fronts)

What springs would you put with them? (For just a small bit lower than standard eg: 30-35mm)

What is the ride quality like?

Any input or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thansks Chris

sport
16-06-13, 02:59 PM
B4 is that the black ones?

I had them on my GSI years ago with the springs that they supplied as a kit, had Speedlines on and they caught the front arches.

murph-gsi
16-06-13, 03:08 PM
Ya they are the black ones.
Im not planning on going low, I just want the +OEM look for the 3 spokes.

sport
16-06-13, 03:18 PM
I didn't go to low either 30 or 35mm max but should maybe be ok with 3 spokes.

Edd
16-06-13, 04:32 PM
IMO black Bilstein shocks are terrible, the worst I've had on any of my Nova's

Problems I had were shocks leaking oil after few 100miles, welds cracking on shock mountings, stuff you wouldn't expect from Bilstein

I had 3 sets on warranty then I just got a full refund

This was a few years ago so may have got better

nova_niek
18-06-13, 11:59 AM
IMO black Bilstein shocks are terrible, the worst I've had on any of my Nova's

Problems I had were shocks leaking oil after few 100miles, welds cracking on shock mountings, stuff you wouldn't expect from Bilstein

I had 3 sets on warranty then I just got a full refund

This was a few years ago so may have got better

I'm with Edd on this one.

Black Bilsteins are horrid. When the OEM dampers had died on my GSi, I had Bilstein B4 dampers fitted all round. Way too much compression damping, the car rattled over bumps like never before. Ride quality went out of the window. Uncomfortable as hell. Please don't bother with them. :mad:

Instead, save up a little and get Bilstein's B12 Sportline or B12 Pro-Kit. When I bought Vlietje's old China Blue Nova, it had Bilstein's B12 package fitted and handled like a dream. My E30 316i has a similar B12 setup fitted (complete with poly bushes all round) and it handles like a good 'un, whilst retaining ride comfort. And it doesn't look like it's insanely lowered. Now that's what you want. :thumb::d