PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about spraying

Martin.p
15-06-13, 07:20 PM
To start with I'm not after a showroom shine or the best paint job seen by man. But I'd like it to be to a acceptable level.

I've never sprayed a car befor this one.

I'm using cellymix (holts stuff made at local car shop)

I've got one of these

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/A2E33742-9F85-4B9A-A2FB-2E368597DA47-358-00000029833E463E.jpg

The Finnish is a lot better than I had with a suction gun when doing primer.
But I don't know if I should flat this befor I lacquer????

Looks like this up close

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/162371DE-CD2C-4C68-B855-9C4182AED4DA-864-000000F73F8D0ED8.jpg

Some bits look like orange peel
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/F6142125-9C2C-4388-A549-DF11FB245CAC-864-000000F7240DA03C.jpg

Others have small 'bits' on it
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/906F82AC-D62F-44EA-818F-E5BCE745598B-864-000000F7373902B1.jpg

Or do I just tack rag it and flat lacquer then a second coat of lacquer???

Please advise me.
Thanks
Martin

staggy_gsi
15-06-13, 07:43 PM
Id flat that back first mate.

Martin.p
15-06-13, 07:48 PM
1200?
2000?

brainsnova
15-06-13, 08:02 PM
I would wait until Benn posts :thumb:

Marcusgeorge
15-06-13, 08:16 PM
2000 grade wet and dry is what I've always done :)

Martin.p
15-06-13, 08:18 PM

lol

:thumb:

Martin.p
15-06-13, 08:35 PM
After I've flatted it
Lacquered it
Should I flat that and lacquer again?

Did I do my spraying badly?
Am I going to have problems if same quality (lack of quality) is applied when I lacquer??
Or is lacquer more forgiving to use?

Marcusgeorge
15-06-13, 08:55 PM
I would flat it with 2000 till its smooth with no orange peel then lacquer it. Then I do 3 coats of lacquer and then flat again with 2000 then use a cutting pad and compound on a orbital polisher till it shines again....... Gives a mirror finish for me but I am only a amateur painter myself so don't quote me hahahaha

And spraying badly gives runs I wouldn't say you have done it badly did you flat the primer before colour ??

Martin.p
15-06-13, 09:01 PM
Thanks for advice.
Sounds like a plan. :thumb:

Yes I flatted the primer be for colour.

Marcusgeorge
15-06-13, 09:04 PM
That's how I've always done it and comes out good just takes bloody ages!! Last one I did was my zafira and my fingers were as smooth as the paint was hahahahahahaha

Martin.p
15-06-13, 10:16 PM
Will G3 compound be ok?
I'm using celly NOT 2k

How long should I leave between clear coats?

How long should I leave clear coat to fully harden be for polishing?

Marcusgeorge
15-06-13, 10:51 PM
Yea I use g3 and at I've left all the ones I've done for a few days before I cut it. Drying times can't help you with cuz I leave the things I do in the garage with two space heaters on haha

Martin.p
15-06-13, 10:59 PM
Thanks.
I'm working under a carport with a polycarbonate roof and sides. Bit like a conservatory. Bloody hot somedays. (Free heat :thumb: )

So if its touch dry would you go for next coat?
Normally aim to spray when temp in enclosure is 18.C +
Everything seems to dry quite quick,

Marcusgeorge
15-06-13, 11:04 PM
Yep looks like you've got it covered dude :)

Topmanbeny
16-06-13, 08:17 AM
If your struggling to guess coat timing the last coat you put on If you've masked anything up or there is paint somewhere it won't be seen say the front panel as its covered by grille and bumper touch it lightly and see if it's sticky if so then put your next coat on , also you will be there all day if you flat with 2000 to re lacquer , youse 1000 to 1200 . Leave 2000 for when your flatting it for polishing which celly will need , good luck

Martin.p
16-06-13, 08:25 AM
If your struggling to guess coat timing the last coat you put on If you've masked anything up or there is paint somewhere it won't be seen say the front panel as its covered grille and bumper touch it lightly and see if it's stick if so then put your next coat on , also you will be there all day if you flat with 2000 to re lacquer , youse 1000 to 1200 . Leave 2000 for when your flatting it for polishing which celly wool need , good luck

Nice one :thumb:

skud52
16-06-13, 08:42 AM
Normally when painting 2k if you cant smell the paint then its normally gone off. Not sure if ots the same for celly tho

Topmanbeny
16-06-13, 08:34 PM
No worrys nice colours btw

Martin.p
17-06-13, 10:23 PM
No worrys nice colours btw

Thanks.
Strangely the pics just don't do it justice. It looks dull in pics. The camara dose not seem to catch it right.

Thanks to everyone .
I gave the car 3 coats of laquer and started to flat that tonight and polish with 3G. And I'm well happy with how it's looking.

For my first time ever!!.. I'm really chuffed :) still could be better! But that's why professionals are professionals!!!
I honestly didnt think it would turn out as good as it is though!
It's cost me £500 ish to pay for all my paint, laquer,primer ,barcoat,fillers,sandpaper,compressor,DA,guns etc.
and a month and a half of my time. And it's been so much more rewarding than handing over £xxxx for someone else to do it!

Benn
17-06-13, 10:36 PM

Sorry, only just seen this.... ;)

You've got alot of paint on there! How many coats? Looks like to much paint on the bonnet hence the orange peel...
I've never painted with 1k, but the processes are the same really.

This is why you'd paint the insides, then tape up the shuts and do a full external. It keeps the dust down, which you've had probs with.

You shouldn't really flat base coat before lacquering as lacquer doesn't really cover sanding marks (will cover light grey scotch brite)

Normally you've flat with 1000 grit, then give it a few more light coats to cover that. Applying enough paint that it covers and starts to shine a little, then you lacquer for the full shine and finish.
Glad youve got it sorted tho.

Martin.p
17-06-13, 10:51 PM
How can you tell there's a lot of paint on there?
(Truly curious)

In the end I found a thread on another site where lots of people agreed that it was not a good idea to put laquer on paint over 24 hr old as it increased the chance of it not bonding. And may lift/peel later in life.

So I gave the car another coat of blue 3rd coat. Then cleaned up my gun. By which time the paint was tacky (I was gagging to get it done that day as well ) and went in for the kill with laquer!

Didnt have time to flat last coat of blue (as I was going by advice of applying times) and could not see me flating blue AND get 3 coats of laquer on!

So I added 3 coats of laquer. Which where drying blooming quick! As it was roasting under polly roof!
Then it's been left baking in sun all today and Sunday.

I've polished one wing and I'm well happy with it.

Marcusgeorge
17-06-13, 11:01 PM
Gooood :D you will have too put pics up of the finished paint !! :) I love "amateur" paint jobs :)

Balley
18-06-13, 09:46 AM
Flat it down with 1200 w&d, then 2000, then I would lacquer, you may need to practice first though as the colour doesn't look to have enough thinners in.

Martin.p
18-06-13, 11:12 AM
I mixed 1000ml of paint to 700ml of thinners ?!
It's what the shop told me to mix it at (after he rang paint suppliers)

Do you get that orange peel look if its not thin enough then??

Benn
18-06-13, 01:16 PM
How can you tell there's a lot of paint on there?
(Truly curious)

In the end I found a thread on another site where lots of people agreed that it was not a good idea to put laquer on paint over 24 hr old as it increased the chance of it not bonding. And may lift/peel later in life.

So I gave the car another coat of blue 3rd coat. Then cleaned up my gun. By which time the paint was tacky (I was gagging to get it done that day as well ) and went in for the kill with laquer!

Didnt have time to flat last coat of blue (as I was going by advice of applying times) and could not see me flating blue AND get 3 coats of laquer on!

So I added 3 coats of laquer. Which where drying blooming quick! As it was roasting under polly roof!
Then it's been left baking in sun all today and Sunday.

I've polished one wing and I'm well happy with it.

The way the paint is laying to me says there is tomuch on it.

Yes the paint loses addeison over time, 24hours is way to long to leave before coating. You'd wanna flat the paint off, recoat with paint. Then lacquer.
If you've base it then are going to lacquer you do not need to flat anything off!!

Flat it down with 1200 w&d, then 2000, then I would lacquer, you may need to practice first though as the colour doesn't look to have enough thinners in.

If you are re-basing 1200 and 2k are to little. They are finishing papers. As long as your re-basing you want 1000 grit.