PDA

View Full Version : My Jam Yellow SR

DAFTJOHN
15-06-13, 10:13 AM
The bodyshop is still chipping away at the car. Was looking to return to original but cannot get a full set of vinyl :( so, not really sure what to do.

1.3 engine back in
1.6 8v
1.6 1.6v
Xe
Let
Zlet

Will be standard inside and outside, prob a set of rfx revo's.

Throw ideas over. Car shell will be mint, solid and paint will be top job but not sure what to do with the parts where the vinyl is, the copy replacement stuff is not a good match. Ideally want side strips, bumpers and vinyl areas to colour match.

7ova
15-06-13, 10:37 AM
Stay with the 1.3 engine. Give it a full rebuild and clean/paint the block etc
As for the vinyls have you thought about painting the lower part of the side and the door
Posts the boot you would have to find the correct part or a good copy

chrisd1986
15-06-13, 10:51 AM
My father inlaw worked at vauxhall as a painter years ago when mk2 cavs were new and he said that the lower part of the cav sri was painted in anthracite

DAFTJOHN
15-06-13, 10:54 AM
Stay with the 1.3 engine. Give it a full rebuild and clean/paint the block etc
As for the vinyls have you thought about painting the lower part of the side and the door
Posts the boot you would have to find the correct part or a good copy

Yeah Allan suggested a textured paint - I do have one original piece of vinyl they could copy the colour. Have a copy boot vinyl but think there are original opal corsa gt ones still on the go.

DAFTJOHN
15-06-13, 10:55 AM
My father inlaw worked at vauxhall as a painter years ago when mk2 cavs were new and he said that the lower part of the cav sri was painted in anthracite

interesting! so if i paint mine it'll be semi original lol

marc69
15-06-13, 11:29 AM
I made a Fake SR years ago by using anthracite paint for the lower half, door pillars and the bit on the boot. I then got red (you'll obviously need yellow) vinyl letters , the right size and as close a font as I could find and no-one ever looked close enough to notice it was done the worng way.

Personally, if you are trying to stick as original as possible, stick with the 1.3, if you are wanting a little more speed, for looks and originally I wouldn't go farther then the 1.6 8v and I would carb it etc to make it look as close to original as possible. Easy to say when I do n't have too do the work. lol

marc69
15-06-13, 11:30 AM
Also, I had to touch up a bit on my genuine sr a few years ago, I din't have anthracite but I used "volvo dark grey" original name but a perfect match.

Andy
15-06-13, 11:37 AM
1.3 turbo John;)

chrisd1986
15-06-13, 11:46 AM
interesting! so if i paint mine it'll be semi original lol

Basicly yes,strange how the cav got paint and the nova got vinal.

Novasport
15-06-13, 01:22 PM
What is the car registered as, is it still a 1.3 on the V5? I think it would be worth more as a 1.3 plus road fund licence is cheaper ;)
You missed out an engine, what about an X14XE on carb or TB's? Nice output but still cheap road tax etc.
I am debating what to put in the Swing but it will be a while before I get round to it.
Another good engine is an X18XE1 or a Z18XE, near C20XE power with the right induction with small block weight/handling.

salter
15-06-13, 01:25 PM
It would be nice to keep it original with the 1.3...

mikey093
15-06-13, 01:30 PM
Id stick to the original engine for an SR, worth more in the long run and for power just put bigger carbs on etc.?

DAFTJOHN
15-06-13, 01:43 PM
It's had nothing in the bay now. Did have an xe when I got it and all the paperwork is there to let the Dvla know.

Maybe hunt a 1.3 down with nice carbs

Pulsar_stu
15-06-13, 01:53 PM
It's had nothing in the bay now. Did have an xe when I got it and all the paperwork is there to let the Dvla know.

Maybe hunt a 1.3 down with nice carbs

I was in the same boat as you, mine was engine less when I bought it. It hadn't had a conversion done ever tho.
I wasn't sure what to do.
But chose to go down the standard engine route.
The prices of standard engines are going up in price, a lot of the grass track guys are snapping them up.
But you can still find a bargin tho!
Just yesterday I picked up my complete engine and gearbox for £150 :)
If you look at the prices of sr's at the moment, they are rapidly rising :)
Stay standard and you should see a nice return if you ever sell it.

So yeah, standard 1.3sr engine with bike carbs or twin 40s :)

EwanG
15-06-13, 05:48 PM
Fit the 1.3 engine. Its not all about speed. It will take the car back to an original state. I know it has been seam welded but forget about that. If you get the car looking standard and mint it will be worth so much more than modified (I hope you dont sell and keep forever). You will get more respect and how many jam yellow cars are out there on the road?? I dont know any other than yours! Oh and get a set of three spokes to make it complete. Yellowsnova was selling a full set of GM vinyl for £300 or get a replica kit. TBH I have seen a painted lower half and it looked the same. All the best with getting the sr back on the road and cant wait to see it :thumb:

bazil
15-06-13, 06:14 PM
1.6 8v on carbs or bodies with a OHC cam cover, more than enough power if tuned right and will look near standard under the bonnet,

Alex J
15-06-13, 08:44 PM
BIG BLOCK! the others are just lame.

kent14sr
15-06-13, 09:07 PM
1.3 on twin 40s and an AST2 cam in my opinion.

Southie
15-06-13, 09:44 PM
1.3 on twin 40s and an AST2 cam in my opinion.

This if your wanting to keep the value of the car IMO, other wise it's just a Nova with a modded engine which won't be as good.

Saying that, what the max price a Nova SR will ever reach really... Maybe the original price when new in another 10 years.