PDA

View Full Version : Cars spluttering

Chay84
14-06-13, 04:12 PM
My nova with a c20xe runs great then all of a sudden splutters and stops going for like 3-5 secs so I have to freewheel then its ok again I think it's fuel starvation and the pump sound abit whiney

Edd_1.4sr
14-06-13, 11:42 PM
Im having a similar problem with my 1.4 sr. Its been like it for a few weeks and i dont know what it is. Im going to change the carb and see if that helps.

therealnovaboy
14-06-13, 11:48 PM
does the pump whine more before/during the engine cutting out?

what tank are you running? how much fuel is in it?

Chay84
14-06-13, 11:54 PM
It's only happening when I'm moving along so can't hear it tbh, had about 1/3 tank I then went and filled to brim with 99 octane stuff, it happened last yr it wasn't receiving fuel on the injector rail put fresh fuel in and it was ok, was gutted this has happened twice both time I was heading to knockhill and had to turn around :(

deneil_gsi2000
14-06-13, 11:59 PM
Does it do it just driving along or under hard cornering/braking or accelerating

marc69
14-06-13, 11:59 PM
Im having a similar problem with my 1.4 sr. Its been like it for a few weeks and i dont know what it is. Im going to change the carb and see if that helps.

I've had this on two Novas before. With a carb car I would hazard a guess as either incorrect ignition timing or carb accelerator pump jjet being blocked causing spark plugs to overheat after being pushed. No ideas on an injection car, sorry.

therealnovaboy
15-06-13, 02:20 AM
OP- It would be worth changing your fuel filter. Also check the connections to the fuel pump they may be corroded and upsetting the pump.

Chay84
15-06-13, 07:28 AM
It is happening in a straight line, its a gsi tank with external gsi pump, I'm gonna get a new relay to start with, all the connections seem ok, the regulator is a rusty looking thing tho I was thinking of just by passing that

Spudly
15-06-13, 11:22 AM
Has this only started to happen after youve filled it up, i put 98 ron in mine last year and it ran like a sack of ****e, a few tanks of normal fuel through it later and it runs fine again!

Chay84
15-06-13, 11:26 AM
na it was running poorly so I put that in hoping it would resolve the situation I'm gonna bypass the fuel regulator tonight and give it a run and will update on the progress

Chay84
15-06-13, 10:50 PM
Tonight I put another fuel pump relay in and took for a spin and its the same it only happens when going along at 70mph, the engine just goes dead for a few seconds and then comes back to life, never got a chance to bypass the regulator beside the fuel pump yet

I took my mate with me who has built a few xe novas and also a v6 and he is sure its fuel starvation also

Only thing he said was that its got a tank without the swirl pot below the rear seats when you take the grommet out would that make a difference?

It did this before i put car away for winter and I thought it was fuel pump so put his pump on and it still done it, it was low on fuel then and when I put a jerry cans worth in it cured it

Any info more info would be great cheers

Chay84
17-06-13, 09:25 PM
Today I tested the fuel pump and the power to the pump all was ok , I also checked for air leaks on the inlet manifold ok also,

Took or a spin and still spluttering then it died for about 10 seconds then came to life( was hoping it didn't so at least I could find fault to get it running)

Fuel Pump is whining and buzzing loud only sometimes had a closer look and when I squeeze the petrol pipe the pump makes the whining noise very loudly, I'm thinking restricted flow to the pump, all pipe is ok with no kinks

Should I have a swirl pot under the seat on a mpi tank?

deneil_gsi2000
17-06-13, 09:29 PM
Mpi tank has a swirl tank inside. If putting more fuel in cured it then I'd be looking in that area first.

Chay84
17-06-13, 09:40 PM
That was last year mate, it's got a fuel tank ATM and running bad

Why doesn't tank have the bit under the rear seats? My Sri nova had that?

Cheers for response :)

Chay84
19-06-13, 03:49 PM
My mate said to take the petrol cap off and drive it and it seems to be ok without it on

The breather that goes out the tank goes up to the engine bay and is located into a sensor is that ment to do that?