PDA

View Full Version : 13S struggling to start when engine warm

jimbob-mcgrew
14-06-13, 01:41 AM
always snaps into life when its coldstarted, but requires excessive cranking to get it going once its warmed up... any idea's ? could the wrong sparkplugs cause this ? running bosch super 4's

mowgli
14-06-13, 07:03 AM
coil?

jimbob-mcgrew
15-06-13, 10:06 AM
the unit doesn't get hot, like ive heard they sometimes do when there on their way out, altho I think i'll change it mowgli, as everything else has been done.

bloody car stuttered and conked out on the m25 yesterday... sh1t me up a bit as I was in the far outside lane and i thought "oh god, im gonna cause a ten thousand car tailback here" .. but luckily she fired back up and with the revs kept high she stayed alive for the rest of the journey. engine temp was kinda highish at that point, put the blowers on max to keep it cool, seemed to run more happy. confused

mowgli
15-06-13, 11:45 AM
is it getting hot then?

jimbob-mcgrew
16-06-13, 07:16 PM
yeah, the engine has always ran hot for some unknown reason. everything seems to be set up fine. im looking into changing the stat and waterpump. maybe the stats worn out and the fins on the pump have corroded a bit ?

I have a rad fan switch from a 1.2 aswel, would fitting that to the radiator make the fan cut in earlier ? as it doesn't spin up utill its 3 quarters temp on the 1.3.

mowgli
16-06-13, 07:20 PM
the 1.2 switch is the same as the 1.3 switch anyway.

coils are notorious on the 1.2 & 1.3. also the ht leads & plugs need changing regularly

marc69
16-06-13, 08:33 PM
is the ignition timing retadarded, this can cause plugs to overheat after 50 miles or so, starting problems and sometimes breakdowns, they are fine again after sitting for a few minutes but it is just a tad inconvenient.

mowgli
16-06-13, 09:33 PM
it could be the good old dizzy advance/retard again... maybe someone has messed with the timing to get it to run reasonably well, but it isn't altering.

jimbob-mcgrew
16-06-13, 11:40 PM
is the ignition timing retadarded, this can cause plugs to overheat after 50 miles or so, starting problems and sometimes breakdowns, they are fine again after sitting for a few minutes but it is just a tad inconvenient.

ive got it advanced a bit marc, to about 3 degrees.
I wanted to set it to the Haynes recommended 7 for modern unleaded, but it doesn't seem happy anywhere else.

it could be the good old dizzy advance/retard again... maybe someone has messed with the timing to get it to run reasonably well, but it isn't altering.

I did have previous issues with a dead vacuum unit on it mo, so replaced the dizzy for one that worked, altho when I fitted it, the unit casing was rusty in appearance and didn't look like it would last forever, so might have gone on me again, I need to check that out.
can the units be bought seperatly anywhere ?

mowgli
16-06-13, 11:42 PM
i chased the part no once & found it fits a hummer!!!!!!!

marc69
17-06-13, 04:26 PM
set the ignition timing with a strobe light with the car hot, idling at about 900 rpm so that the markers meet. If this problem only started when you changed dizzy then there is your fault, if it is still playing up set correctly then the dizzy could be shot, I had an issue with my 1.0 when hot it would play up, eventually I fitted a new dizzy and never had the issue again.

Stuart
17-06-13, 05:00 PM
throw the 'super 4s' in the bin... worst spark plug EVER!!

marc69
17-06-13, 09:55 PM
throw the 'super 4s' in the bin... worst spark plug EVER!!

Agreed, I ran bosch plugs for a few months years ago, cold starting problems, binned them and then went for champion plugs. The gap has to be accurate if you want good starting cold and hot.

I also once put bosch points in a 1.0, after 3 days they actually broke on the dual carraigeway, never had problems with inter motor points.

mowgli
17-06-13, 10:02 PM
that surprises me as inter stuff is a tad on the shonky side, whereas bosch is more like oe

marc69
17-06-13, 10:20 PM
Maybe for more modern stuff but I found the plugs/points failed and I also hate the bosch dizzys. I had a delco remmy dizzy on my first 1.0, I used to change the points every 12K miles approx, and the only issue ever was twice I had dampness needing WD40, that was in 5 years running with the engine originally at 120K. I have run 2 bosch dizzys in my current 1.0, the original packed up. I also had a silver bosch battery, it lasted two years and a month, was't impressed. I also had the bosch ignition system on my 1.4, it lasted a few weeks, I fitted the older fashioned delco remmy system and again.........all working so far. I don't think they are great when old and high mileage! I didn't realise how much of a list that was until i started lol

Perhaps they are a good with modern electronic stuff but for the older and perhaps physically more demanding stuff, I have not much good to say (unless I have been really really unlucky)

jimbob-mcgrew
18-06-13, 12:50 AM
ill change the plugs for some single electrode jobbies, see what happens. any reccomendations ?

if no different, ill get a new coil. (could probably use a new one anyhow)

the bloody downpipe has corroded now, and split apart completely at the cup and ball joint end, which is making her run sweet as a nut :(
ive got an 80 mile drive across hilly A-roads in the morning too... that'll be interesting !! lol

marc69
18-06-13, 05:53 PM
I just use the champion plugs as recommeneded in haynes for all my carb novas and minis, no spark plug issues.

jimbob-mcgrew
29-06-13, 11:04 AM
my Haynes manuals in france, doh.

which ones are they ?

Champin RN9YC with a copper electrode, 1mm gap ?

marc69
29-06-13, 11:59 AM
yeah, champion rn9ycc or rn9yc with a gap of 9ycc= 0.8mm or 9yc=0.7mm

jimbob-mcgrew
29-06-13, 12:28 PM
cheers for the quick reply marc :thumb:, just on my way out to grab em now. collect my downpipe too, so I don't conk out on the m25 for the third time, lol

marc69
29-06-13, 05:46 PM
Best of luck!