PDA

View Full Version : 13sb camshafts

thespannerman
10-06-13, 09:40 PM
Anybody know what a standard cam should have stamped on it at the distributor end?????

Mine just has a "1." Stamped on it.

Probably just standard but it seems to go like a stabbed rat at 4500 rpm. Years scince ive had a nova but dont seem to remember a 1.3 been like this one. Unless its about to **** itself.

Ta!

Royston
10-06-13, 09:42 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought the cam was stamped "B" for a SR cam (early 1.3)

thespannerman
10-06-13, 10:07 PM
The engine is from my mates g reg sr with 60k on it. Maybe high hopes. Doesnt tickover smooth but cant really see a 60k standard sr having a high lift cam. Original headbolts too

jimbob-mcgrew
11-06-13, 12:02 AM
shouldn't be too bad for 60k, unless its had a hard, neglected life.

check the usuals like fuel filter, air filter, oil, spark plugs, spark leads, dizzy and rotor arm, timing. carb could need a clean too.

Steve
11-06-13, 12:47 AM
its a twin choke carb then being a later engine, mine really picks up about 4k

thespannerman
11-06-13, 06:46 AM
Its had all of the above! New dizzy cap and arm, new leads and plugs, carbs been cleaned brand new k and n filter, new oil!

Would just like to know if its standard or not !!probably just going to be one of those mysterys

jimbob-mcgrew
11-06-13, 02:31 PM
the secondary throttle might not be cutting in.
check the vacuum hoses on the carb aren't perished. they need to be a reasonably tight fit on the pipes too, replace them if there loose-ish.
check the actual vacuum pickup pipes aren't blocked also, they gunk up over time. a can of carb cleaner with a long nozzle insered into the pickup pipe and blasted thru is the best way.
also test the diaphragm (the big black actuator thingy that receives the carbs vacuum and pulls on the throttle, you can test it by holding the throttle open, and then sucking on its vacuum hose to see if it pulls inwards

thespannerman
11-06-13, 06:44 PM
All that seems fine. Had a blocked jet so have cleaned the carb out and a new dizzy with a working vac advance!!

jimbob-mcgrew
12-06-13, 04:52 PM
good now or still pants ?

I was gonna say, what colour are the plugs, it might be running over-rich ?
and whats the timing set to ?

thespannerman
12-06-13, 06:14 PM
Seems ok but bit lumpy on tickover. Ignition timing set to 10deg btdc. Plugs were new. When we motd it the emissions were very clean so cant see it been rich!

Think it was a bad plug. Melted the electrode!!