PDA

View Full Version : Temperature guage

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 10:07 PM
right lads i have a really big question.. Before the headgasket change i had occured a problem. Everytime the car got hot on tick over the temp guage would reach over to the red as to then i'd switch the engine off, so me thinking defo head skim and headgasket change or new thermostat replacement was in order i got the both, after replacing both headgasket and thermostat ive started her up today and she's still doing the same :/ what could this be as im fuzzed as to why its doing it... Could it be a dodgey temp guage or what else could it be?? Ive even bought a new temp sensor but still done nothing and its starting to tick me off as i just want to get her in for an mot and start driving her, this is the only fault which is holding me back from taking it for an m.o.t :confused: :cry:

Adam
05-06-13, 10:18 PM
Water pump ? Rad ?

Southie
05-06-13, 10:20 PM
As above but also what engine is it?

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 10:20 PM
Water pump ? Rad ?

Water pump isn't making a noise which i presume if the water pump was on its way out shouldn't it be making a noise? The rad looks fairly new however it could have a block in there, if it does how do i flush it through as ive already put hose through hose and let it go through the whole system yet still no unblocking :(

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 10:21 PM
Its a 1.3 Sr engine Southie

Southie
05-06-13, 10:22 PM
I'd try a new radiator tbh, or take it off and try flushing it.

Are your pipes going rock hard, has the water bottle expanded?

It maybe your header bottle cap or your heater matrix.

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 10:23 PM

What would you suggest by flushing it mate? Already used back garden hose and tryed flushing it but still no change :(

Southie
05-06-13, 10:27 PM
Sorry I've edited my post with extra ;)

I once had a heater matrix that was sooooo blocked that it made the header bottle expand... Eventually one day my heater matrix exploded on me when overtaking in the outside lane of a motorway at 70ish... scary shît tbh :eek:

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 10:31 PM
Sorry I've edited my post with extra ;)

I once had a heater matrix that was sooooo blocked that it made the header bottle expand... Eventually one day my heater matrix exploded on me when overtaking in the outside lane of a motorway at 70ish... scary shît tbh :eek:

**** mate thats not good, i just don't get it! I must of flushed the system like a 1000 times and its still the same but 1 of my mates said the older nova guages are shockingly ****e and always play up, i don't really wanna take his word just incase, just wish i could sort the dam thing as ive not driven her once since i bought the car :(

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 10:33 PM

Are your pipes going rock hard, has the water bottle expanded?

It maybe your header bottle cap or your heater matrix.

the water pipes are quite soft as they should be shouldn't they? My bottle is expanded a little bit but not by me, was like it when i done the car, i don't really know much about it to be honest as i bought it from a guy local to me so litteraly payed the man his money, signed the logbook and drove home, what header bottle cap do you recommend mate? Do you have any links to either?? :)

Southie
05-06-13, 10:45 PM
Corsa b radiator caps were the same iirc.

Have you done a compression test on the engine?

Is water circulating okay with the cap off, any bubbling noises?

With the cap on are there any bubbling noises in the footwell?

Have you had any engine mods done??

Sorry if it sounds like I'm not answering questions properly, just want to narrow things down a little.

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
05-06-13, 11:23 PM
Corsa b radiator caps were the same iirc.

Have you done a compression test on the engine?

Is water circulating okay with the cap off, any bubbling noises?

With the cap on are there any bubbling noises in the footwell?

Have you had any engine mods done??

Sorry if it sounds like I'm not answering questions properly, just want to narrow things down a little.

So should i get a corsa rad cap mate? Haven't done a compression test as don't think its nessesary as i hear the difference in the car already, the exhaust on my car was very quiet before i had the head gasket changed and now it sounds louder with alot of back compression, im not sure about the bubbling question as i didn't really seem to hear out for any of that, engine is standard apart from a k&n top mount carb filter and thats it, no other engine mods have been carried out, when the water comes out of the Thermostat housing it seems to drip out and not poor out as it should, could that be my problem or would that be ok? Im taking every water hose off possible tommorow and will be flushing all pipes making sure they're clear from dirt and rust build up and then will take rad out and give that a good flush and go from there, if not i have a replacement matrix which has only done 30k from new so still in good cond, water pump is fairly brand new and dosn't make any parculiar noises so thats fine, its just a fuzz as i wanna start driving her :(

blue_peg_16v
06-06-13, 06:37 AM
Take the thermostat out the housing and see if that's the problem should have more than a drip when up to temp

Try no thermostat to eliminate that as a problem to start

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
06-06-13, 11:52 AM
Take the thermostat out the housing and see if that's the problem should have more than a drip when up to temp

Try no thermostat to eliminate that as a problem to start

So run it without do you reckon bud? Thats what the local guy said in Karparts, he said just run it without Thermostat as wont do any harm to engine so might be worth doing that and see how she goes :)

blue_peg_16v
06-06-13, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't run without in the long run as will take longer to get up to temp especially in winter but will eliminate the stat from the problem so you know if its that or not

Vauxhall-Man-Ash
06-06-13, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't run without in the long run as will take longer to get up to temp especially in winter but will eliminate the stat from the problem so you know if its that or not

Thats fine, when it comes to winter time i'll just put it back in ;) but for now the thermostat's staying out and gonna see what happens from there on.. Fingers crossed it works, i only need it to work for 2 weeks (enough time for m.o.t) and then i'll just get everything done properly as people are saying it could be a warped head but im not confessed it is. :p