PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 sr cambelt tensioner removal

treborfields
03-06-13, 01:10 PM
Question . . . .

I have a 1.4 nova sr rally car and had the cambelt skip a tooth recently, Ihad put a new cambelt on a year ago with a new tensioner pulley all setcorrectly etc.

To help stop this happening again I believe I can get rid of the rubbishauto tensioner and go to the set up off the 1.3sr?

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? It looks like I would have toremove the rear belt casing as it is just in the direct line from the crank pulleyto the water pump.

I don’t want to leave the covers off as the car gets used on gravel/mud etcso want to keep the belt clean if possible!

Thanks

Rob

therealnovaboy
03-06-13, 09:20 PM
It is possible. You will need a different cam belt cover from a nova without a tensioner. The belt is also shorter on the nova without the tensioner.

7ova
03-06-13, 09:46 PM
Not 100% sure but isn't the 1.3 got square teeth and 1.4 round teeth on the profile of the belt, water pump, crank and cam pulley like I said not sure but I would check before you buy any parts

treborfields
04-06-13, 08:48 PM
7ova

you are indeed correct, it would seem that the 1.3 has a square tooth belt, so i either swap to 1.3 crank and cam sprockets and use a 1.3 water pump or find a shorter round profile belt and carry on using the 1.4 kit

cheers

rob