PDA

View Full Version : valve guide replacment

deneil_gsi2000
31-05-13, 08:09 PM
Anyone know were I can purchase valve guides forna c16xe and also how hard are they to remove.
I no there gonna be a tight fit and that they only go in one way but I dont wanna start removing it and destroy the head
Thanks

Adam
31-05-13, 08:15 PM
Job for a pro tbh. They have to be pressed out.

MK999
31-05-13, 08:42 PM
They're not really press fitted, maybe at large scale production, normally it's a big hammer or an air chisel!

http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/handdrivers.html - need a tool like that, C16XE are 6mm ID

Or if you can find similar in the uk/lathe one up to suit, great. Ideally you want a dial guage set into a hollow cylinder to measure height and set them all the same, can't remember off top of my head if the 16xe ones are stepped or level to the head which makes it easier, but I don't believe they are, stick the head on a portable electric stove, cook at gas mark hellishly hot for 30 mins and knock them out from the port side. Only really worth it if you want to do it again though, it will most likely be cheaper to pay someone with the kit to do it, and it is difficult to get right first time, I knackered a couple of heads before I could do it reliably. In fact I lined up 4-5 scrap heads and knocked all the valves out of them, some 70 odd as practice lol

deneil_gsi2000
31-05-13, 10:04 PM
Cheers lads I think im gonna see if philip can get it done as hes pretty local to me