PDA

View Full Version : What oil in rally 1400 8V?

steg1970
28-05-13, 07:24 AM
I've been using Valvoline VR1 20/50 in my 1400 8V Nova rally car for years. A couple of weeks ago I got told I would have problems using this oil with hydraulic lifters. I haven't seen any problems but as a matter of interest I though I would ask here. What oil are the lads running rally cars using?

My motor is certainly not the most powerful, its probably got around 120 horses, its got standard pistons, rods and crank, lightened flywheel, revs to 7300. I change the oil and filter after every event.

I was looking at genuine GM Vauxhall Semi synthetic 10W40, its a good price and comes recommended.

Thoughts?

mowgli
28-05-13, 07:33 AM
it sounds like you are using the right oil in the 1st place.

MK999
28-05-13, 11:06 AM
They are probably referring to filling them with the thicker oil through the same size holes, which is reasonably logical, but actually the oil pressure will be higher because it's not leaking out through bearings etc as quickly and the oil pump is still doing it's thing. It's also gonna be closer to OE spec than the OE oil at the temperatures you put the thing through, I really wouldn't worry.

Only other issue I've ever seen with hydraulic lifters is them pumping up beyond the valve tolerance and opening all the valves, but you'd know it if that happened, it'll hit a flat spot and the engine note will change noticeably.

All based on general experience, but Tom Reid on here (believe that's his username too!) will probably have some better specific experience to running those engines on rally stages.

meritlover
28-05-13, 02:23 PM
the oil pressure in the bearings will be relatively unchanged, the PRV in the pump would lift a little more to maintain the same backpressure on the oil gallery circuit than it would with a 10-40 but thats about it.
the 20-50 is still technically thicker at the same temp so would perhaps have issues with getting the same amount of oil in a smaller hole. however, its likely to be negligable and being thicker (or the same thickness at a different temp however you want to look at it) it may well be more stable and less likely to froth up within the lifters and for that reason, may be better at higher RPM. But then, it might not. GM had a lot of issues with lifter frothing that couldnt really be solved with all sorts of different oil choices. Given that you have had no issues so far your oil choice is probably fine.

good quality 10-40 semi, on an engine which has a decent cooling system will be very unlikely to cause problems especially if you are changing it after every event.

phunkynova
28-05-13, 06:36 PM
I use
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 Part-Synthetic

In my 1.4 8v rally car never had a problem.

I have about 130BHP and rev it to 7500rpm.

toymex
28-05-13, 06:40 PM
I used to run Valvoline in my 1400 circuit car although that was on solids ,

Southie
28-05-13, 07:29 PM
I ran the same Valvoline in my old SR which had a full rebuild, oversized pistons, bikecarbs, a cam suited to twin 40's from piper... I used to give it plenty of stick and it was revving up to 8k plenty of times and also I never had an issue with my oil.

mk1nova_rich
28-05-13, 08:11 PM
Just issues with other things lol:p

Southie
28-05-13, 08:46 PM
Just issues with other things lol:p

Cambelt snapping had nothing to do with the oil you fudger :p