PDA

View Full Version : E16se AFM mod.

RyanGorman
27-05-13, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone. Iv heard there is 2 mods you can do to the AFM on the e16se but not sure what they are and how to do it. Can anyone help me with please? Thanks got reading

Ryan

mowgli
27-05-13, 05:07 PM
it is possible to muck about with the return spring tension, but that's pretty much it..

brucer
27-05-13, 05:16 PM
you can also alter the position of the potentiometer inside so it reads 100% fully open rather than something like 95% iirc.

i done this on my gte but in fairness messed it all up on idle, id stick with adjusting the spring tension a click or 2, dont over do it.

meritlover
27-05-13, 05:25 PM
you can also alter the position of the potentiometer inside so it reads 100% fully open rather than something like 95% iirc.

i done this on my gte but in fairness messed it all up on idle, id stick with adjusting the spring tension a click or 2, dont over do it.

why would you want to do that? the ECU is ranged to correspond with the AFM. even adjusting the spring tension will give a proportional offset of the fueling across the whole fuel map. i dont know why that would be desirable when tuning.

brucer
27-05-13, 05:37 PM
altering the spring tension is so the flap in the AFM opens easier, not neccessarily a gain.

yet again, its alleged that altering the position of the potetiometer to read that little more is also a little gain. in fairness even if you dyno'd before and after it wouldnt make any difference.

my advice was to leave the one alone from experience with my gte, it made a healthy 92WHP on a reputable dyno.

i would advise trying to make the AFM larger to aid flow through it as its got to be a restriction

meritlover
27-05-13, 05:56 PM
altering the spring tension is so the flap in the AFM opens easier, not neccessarily a gain.

yet again, its alleged that altering the position of the potetiometer to read that little more is also a little gain. in fairness even if you dyno'd before and after it wouldnt make any difference.

my advice was to leave the one alone from experience with my gte, it made a healthy 92WHP on a reputable dyno.

i would advise trying to make the AFM larger to aid flow through it as its got to be a restriction

you cant 'aid flow'. the whole point is that it is restrictive so that it can move proportionally with mass air flow. if you make it flap open easier then it wont meter the air correctly and hence affect the calibration.

leave well alone. if you are at 100% range of the meter due to increased air flow through the engine i would be very surprised and at that point your going to be looking for mods a lot more serious than a tweak on the AFM spring.

brucer
27-05-13, 06:08 PM
as i said the first time, adjust it 1 maybe 2 clicks, any more than this from what i remember makes it too slack. so would be in line with what you said, it needing to be restrictive to say how much air is flowing. too slack causes part throttle to read full throttle on the AFM, overfueling.

when i was talking about 'aiding flow' i wasnt talking about the 2 mods in this thread, in general the AFM holes are quite small.

brainsnova
27-05-13, 06:36 PM
Meritlover is on rag week

meritlover
27-05-13, 06:42 PM
Meritlover is on rag week

ye, oily rag maybe.

Edd
27-05-13, 06:44 PM
More like 52 weeks

mowgli
27-05-13, 08:37 PM
i have not had chance to test it, but i managed to buy a complete afm/ecu off a 1.8 carlton a while back.. it is basically the same jetronic version as the e16se, and has a larger opening, and the ecu will have higher fueling for the 1.8 cos it ran at 115hp iirc and i plan to use it on the bored & stroked 1800 bottom end i plan to make for the hell of it.

brucer
27-05-13, 08:44 PM
good lad^

craig green
28-05-13, 04:54 PM
It's all marginal gains. Playing with the spring tension will likely give an erratic idle, I've sorted encountered it myself.

i have not had chance to test it, but i managed to buy a complete afm/ecu off a 1.8 carlton a while back.. it is basically the same jetronic version as the e16se, and has a larger opening, and the ecu will have higher fueling for the 1.8 cos it ran at 115hp iirc and i plan to use it on the bored & stroked 1800 bottom end i plan to make for the hell of it.

Now you need the TB from a 2.2 CIH carlton for the 1.6 plenum. That's the official irmscher enlarged TB for an E16SE.

mowgli
28-05-13, 08:13 PM
Now you need the TB from a 2.2 CIH carlton for the 1.6 plenum. That's the official irmscher enlarged TB for an E16SE.

i'll look for one doctor.

the thing i get confused about is that the throttle body is way bigger than the afm already.

meritlover
28-05-13, 10:02 PM
it doesnt matter what size the TB is. its not doing the metering, the AFM is.

mowgli
30-05-13, 06:35 AM
it doesnt matter what size the TB is. its not doing the metering, the AFM is.

i know that...

the bit i'm confused about is that people say use a larger TB, when it is not the biggest restriction.. the x16xe tb is smaller & the engine produces more power than the e16se