PDA

View Full Version : Rev counter stopped

sean sport
26-05-13, 01:11 PM
The rev counter in my nova sport has stopped working.. Just went off today as I was driving along.. Any ideas people?

toymex
26-05-13, 01:52 PM
Years ago on my old sport i had that just before it broke down it was the ign amp in the distributor iirc

oVerboost
26-05-13, 03:43 PM
As toymex said, could be a distributor fault, also check the earth cable running to the back of the clocks going into the rev counter side.

sean sport
26-05-13, 04:33 PM
Right a little update.. It has come back on when I let it rest for a bit.. So start it up n it's on, pull away in 1st n it works but then change into 2nd and the needle jumps upto the 7k mark then back to rest at 0k mark ? And then it doesn't work after that until I switch it off n let it rest again for some time

oVerboost
26-05-13, 04:50 PM
Loose earth, failing distributor or a bad rev counter itself (unlikely).

sean sport
26-05-13, 05:04 PM
Ok thanks for that

oVerboost
26-05-13, 05:06 PM
Is the car charging correctly? Loosing voltage as it drives? Slower to start? It may be an electrical issue too, although again strange to just suddenly knock out the rev counter.

sean sport
26-05-13, 05:17 PM
No, everything else is fine.. Just done about 40 mile and it is as sharp and fit as always.. Starts just the same. Literally only thing is the rev counter acting up .

toymex
26-05-13, 05:51 PM
When my one played up the rev counter started flicking up and down ,but it packed up shortly after and i had to get it towed home

marc69
26-05-13, 08:25 PM
best way to test is to put another rev counter in and go for a drive, I think any nova model rev counter will fit, a mk2 will need to get the rev counter wire onto the correct pin but should be easy to work out comapring the two?

And obviously there is the possibility the 30 year old wire might have a wee break somewhere.