PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded towing test!!!!!!!!!!

reevie1987
26-05-13, 11:50 AM
ok so been a long process so far obviusly got my nova to race, bought my van, got my car transport trailer, now im doing my towing test booked my first lesson, who has done this and is it an easy test to pass or is it pritty hard little nervous!:confused:

oVerboost
26-05-13, 12:14 PM
You need a test to tow? I've never bothered in the past! Whoops lol

dc1984
26-05-13, 01:49 PM
From what ive heard they take you out to see how your driving is before you even get the trailer on. I know 2 folk in the last few weeks that havent past that bit. They send you away:@
Hope yours goes well mate tho.

David

P.s why not sell the van and buy an old recovery truck? Only need a car license for that;)

phunkynova
26-05-13, 05:04 PM
Just to make your blood boil all them old sods out there towing caravans driving you mad on narrow lanes have NEVER had to take a towing test.

Rage
26-05-13, 11:10 PM
i tow a little 3x4 foot trailer behind my cav about once a month and just recently i have borrowed a mates lwb frontera to tow a twin wheel car trailer with a 1986 skoda rapid on it and i have never taken a test to tow and i passed my driving test dec 2005

conad
26-05-13, 11:24 PM
i tow a little 3x4 foot trailer behind my cav about once a month and just recently i have borrowed a mates lwb frontera to tow a twin wheel car trailer with a 1986 skoda rapid on it and i have never taken a test to tow and i passed my driving test dec 2005

Well aren't you the clever 1. You'll get raped by vosa if they catch you.

Novasport
27-05-13, 12:07 AM
Your insurance company will tell you to do one as well if you bin it.

jam-77-nova
27-05-13, 01:02 AM
You need a test to tow? I've never bothered in the past! Whoops lol
only for people that past there tests aftera certain year i think so us old ****s are ok lol

8valve-craig
27-05-13, 07:31 AM
You don't need to take a towing test. Just stay below 3.5t MAM and you are within the allowances of a post 97 licence.

thespannerman
27-05-13, 08:31 AM
i think the rules have changed again, iirc its no morw than the kerb weight of the vehicle up to 4.5 tonne..clear as mud lol

Andy
27-05-13, 08:33 AM
You don't need to take a towing test. Just stay below 3.5t MAM and you are within the allowances of a post 97 licence.

finally a post that bears some truth.
Although novasport is right about insurance.
Im not taking a test to tow my autograss nova.il be towing it with a landrover freelander.so tge test isnt required

Rage
27-05-13, 11:26 AM
Well aren't you the clever 1. You'll get raped by vosa if they catch you.

i'm not trying to be clever just towing under my understanding of the 'under 3.5t MAM' law as far as i understand the legislation i am legal. i wouldn't know how/where to apply to do a trailer test and i have b+e on my paper licence it just doesn't state it on my card which i find strange

kent14sr
27-05-13, 12:19 PM
There are different rules for those passing their test since January 2013

For those passing between 1997 and 2013 the rules are complex, and in essence stop the towing of most car/trailer combinations.

1. Combined MAM (max authorised mass) cannot exceed 3.5T
2. MAM of trailer cannot exceed unladen weight of tow vehicle

Problem being that most car trailers - Williams, Brian James etc often have MAMs of 2000-3000kg which means they are all out of limits.

You can downplate a trailer - there is nothing illegal about doing that and that may make the combination legal if necessary.

However - remember if you are towing a trailer illegally (outside of the rules) then you are considered uninsured because you are driving a class of vehicle not covered by your licence and you will likely have your trailer seized at the side of the road. VOSA and the Police are quite hot on it down here, and often take trailers/caravans etc to weighbridges.

Another point VOSA are incredibly hot on is nose weight - usually a towbar will have a max load exerted on tow ball of 75-100KG and its very easy to exceed this without realising - especially if a car is too far forward on a trailer. Exceed it and they will prosecute for an overloaded trailer.

Problem with the towing test is its time consuming and costly!!

mowgli
27-05-13, 12:34 PM
mrs Mazz was telling me at the NATS weekend that she did the trailer test so she can legally tow horse trailers. it cost her about £500. which sounds a lot, but is definitely nowt compared to a prosecution, points, fine & increased insurance.

re the previous post about people failing their test on their driving without a trailer on...... it serves them right for not focussing on the job in hand.

reevie1987
27-05-13, 07:56 PM
cant believe people are towing cars on trailers with out a lisence! makes me laff ive bought a van, trailer, nova all costing alot of money and i havent even done a race yet! need to win the lottery! nah just my towing lessons and test to pass then the raceing begins will be all worth it in the end:thumb:

Andy
27-05-13, 08:57 PM
cant believe people are towing cars on trailers with out a lisence! makes me laff
Why? Its perfectly legal

mowgli
27-05-13, 09:02 PM
Why? Its perfectly legal

as long as it is within the legal limits. & it is purely down to the person driving the vehicle to ensure that they are legal....

we have had way too many threads on this topic....

and the correct answer has been given each & every time, yet people still get all upset over it.....

pay the money, get the licence...........end of thread

8valve-craig
27-05-13, 09:14 PM
pay the money, get the licence...........end of thread

Not atall. Just read the rules and use them if you are able to with your chosen vehicle / trailer combo. If you dont understand them then just take the
un-necessary and costly test, Simple.

mowgli
27-05-13, 09:22 PM
read the whole of my previous post..

either remain legal under the MAM of 3500kg, or take the test

8valve-craig
27-05-13, 10:07 PM
As long as it is within the legal limits. & it is purely down to the person driving the vehicle to ensure that they are legal....

Otherwise.....* pay the money, get the licence...........end of thread

cav_2.0_gli
29-05-13, 09:03 AM
a mate of mine was speaking to me about this, he's got a trailer with a MAM weight of 1600kg, unladen its 400kgs.
his towcar is a saab 9-5 estate, unladen weight is 1800kgs.
total weight for saab, trailer and nova on trailer, plus himself, tools etc is no more than 3300-3400kgs.
the saab weighs more than the trailers MAM, and the saab weighs more unladen than the load its towing, and the total weight combined doesnt exceed 3500kgs.
so as far as im aware, thats perfectly legal and no need to take towing test?
as the tow vehicle weighs more than the total weight of whats being towed, and the total weight combined doesnt exceed 3.5ton.

conad
29-05-13, 09:09 AM
a mate of mine was speaking to me about this, he's got a trailer with a MAM weight of 1600kg, unladen its 400kgs.
total weight for saab, trailer and nova on trailer, plus himself, tools etc is no more than 3300-3400kgs.
the saab weighs more than the trailers MAM, and the saab weighs more unladen than the load its towing, and the total weight combined doesnt exceed 3500kgs.
as the tow vehicle weighs more than the total weight of whats being towed, and the total weight combined doesnt exceed 3.5ton.

check what the max un-braked towing load for the saab is (assuming the trailer doesn't have independent brakes).... can usually be found the a quick google search. At a guess id say its a lot less than 1600kg though.

Hobbit
29-05-13, 09:17 AM
Anything over 750kg must have brakes.

conad
29-05-13, 09:33 AM
ah there we go, learn something new an all that shizzle!

kent14sr
29-05-13, 05:13 PM

Yes that sounds as if it would not require the driver to hold B+E