PDA

View Full Version : Modernising novas

karisma
24-05-13, 07:52 PM
What have you done to modernise your nova but keep it hidden.

Central locking, hidden headunit etc.

peester
24-05-13, 09:05 PM
Many people have removed door locks and use remote locking (many aftermarket kits available)
Headunits have been hidden into gloveboxes for years too.
Are you looking for more ideas/suggestions?
Sounds more like a security improving than 'modernising'..?

Southie
24-05-13, 09:07 PM
Try and hide the outside lol sorry for being silly :(

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/community/museum/museum_exhibition_devine.jpg

marc69
24-05-13, 09:07 PM
You could make it slow and boring looking to make it more modern?

Seriously though, is it just electronic Gizmos that you are looking at?

marc69
24-05-13, 09:08 PM
Try and hide the outside lol sorry for being silly :(

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/community/museum/museum_exhibition_devine.jpg

Modern architecture there

karisma
24-05-13, 09:29 PM
Yeah I noticed my suggestions were more security based. Just wanted to know what stuff people have done to to modernise them without it being obvious.

marc69
24-05-13, 09:34 PM
Alarm and immobiliser, whether modernised or not.

NitrousVaux
24-05-13, 09:36 PM
left mine in the garage!

No seriously, I want to build my nova into something different. Epas steering from corsa, good suspension, nice exhaust, all electric etc. make it a bit more modern rather than the 80's car it is.

marc69
24-05-13, 09:40 PM
you could always get a corsa?

karisma
24-05-13, 09:55 PM
Epas from a corsa would be a nice touch.

mk1nova_rich
24-05-13, 10:09 PM
I think most of the possible mods have been mentioned above but in my eyes a Nova is a Nova. If you want loads of gizmos and creature comforts it takes away the essence of what a Nova is about :)

Novaload_Nick
25-05-13, 09:27 AM
I like the nova how it is, I like hoping out my daily and jumping in a bog standard car, less gizmos it has the less that's to go wrong :)

BRoadGhost
25-05-13, 01:17 PM
Nothing wrong with using composites & light weight metals; imo that's "modernising" in it's most practical technological form.

Rich
25-05-13, 01:40 PM
If you want a modern car buy a modern car, even if they remade the nova now it wouldn't be a nova we all love (or loved for some :))

A nova doesn't even feel right if the clutch doesn't squeak

Benn
25-05-13, 05:16 PM
Remote central locking,
Remote boot pop,
Alarm and immob,
Cruize control.
Did have a omega "one touch" elec sunroof.

oVerboost
25-05-13, 06:01 PM

So true! lol

MK999
25-05-13, 06:33 PM
Someone had greased up my Nova TD when I got it, took weeks for it to come back, was so happy when it did lol

Not really into 'modernisation' as such but a decent interior makes it a lot nicer to be in, I like the GSi Interior I had for a bit and the Manta Recaros I got for a bargain price recovered in leather. I also had a Toad Alarm which are good for security, reasonable money, easy enough to fit and can trigger a few extra features like boot pop, full closure, i.e windows closing (although the wiring is a bit tricky, I tried it and ended up with 3 or 4 relays after getting some advice from someone on here.) A lot of people also fit some nicer sounding audio components and that can certainly make a difference although going too far is silly in something that lacks sound deadening etc.

I liked the remote locking/boot pop on mine, I remember coming out of work once and a guy with a 3-4 year old Audi stuck his key in his boot, loaded up his briefcase etc and then watched as my tailgate clicked and swung open (Extra smugness as it only did that half the time lol) and he looked down at his keys/boot, at the car, back at me, at the car again then set on his way lol

Really though I'm much happier in a Nova without carpets, door panels etc and with added cage personally!

EwanG
25-05-13, 06:41 PM
I have hidden a cd player in the glovebox but do have 6x9's in a rear shelf I picked up (still have the original shelf to replace when need be) and my tunes are pumping with the original head unit on display.

marc69
25-05-13, 07:41 PM
If you want a modern car buy a modern car, even if they remade the nova now it wouldn't be a nova we all love (or loved for some :))

It's not just me then, almost everyone I have owned has that squeak

Timmy
26-05-13, 11:16 AM
Epas on a quick rack Heated front screen. Full central locking. Remote start. Gas lifters on bonnet . Digi dash not really a moden one but I think it look kinda new. Not ones I'd have but full disc brakes. Thinking of running trashion control . Some one on here did heater seats in the front.

raf24
26-05-13, 11:48 AM
Remote locking off my cobra alarm,hidden cd player which seemed like a good idea at the time but is actually a pain in the ass having to open the glovebox everytime you need to adjust the volume etc...so i'm wiring up the original tape player as i only really listen to the radio anyway & i have the squeaky clutch & accelerator pedal lol

brainsnova
26-05-13, 12:28 PM
Dab aerial lol

jam-77-nova
27-05-13, 01:19 AM
heated leather seats, electric sunroof would be good and has anyone put a calibra or cav turbo etc trip computers in a nova?

Benn
27-05-13, 09:51 AM
Nova's have none of the parts to make it work^

mk1nova_rich
27-05-13, 10:13 AM
Nova's have none of the parts to make it work^

I suppose anything is possible if you put the thought and effort into it, just not worth it IMO. If you want a car with the above then why the hell would you want a Nova lol

Benn
27-05-13, 10:16 AM
MPG is easy to work out tank by tank, what else are they good for? lol

MK999
27-05-13, 10:25 AM
kissy dave put one in his I seem to recall, not sure how much of it was functional though

scott.parker
27-05-13, 10:49 AM
The way I see it is if you want modern thing don't own a nova.

MK999
27-05-13, 11:07 AM
Novas are cheap cars that you can turn into whatever you want due to their simplicity though.

You could also say, if you wanted a 2.0l track car on decent springs/dampers you shouldn't have got a Nova?

The nice thing about the club generally is we don't end up with a stand of queue'd up arden blue (sorry Benn lol) lookalikes.

mk1nova_rich
27-05-13, 11:21 AM
You could also say, if you wanted a 2.0l track car on decent springs/dampers you shouldn't have got a Nova?

Not really...makes far more sense than fitting trip computer, heated seats and electric this that and the other

MK999
27-05-13, 11:26 AM
Who are you or I to tell someone else what to do to their car, or what makes sense? Did we turn into a fascist state when I wasn't looking lol Personally I'd much rather build a Nova for performance reasons, and am (slowly!) But if someone wants to put half a fibreglass shark on their roof and paint "Cafe" down the side of it, so be it.

Seems to have turned into a bit of a witch hunt from someone asking for ideas imo.

mk1nova_rich
27-05-13, 11:30 AM
Not telling anyone what to do or not to do, just pointing out the fact its pointless :wtf:

turbojolt
27-05-13, 11:59 AM
electric windows, central locking, electric wing mirrors

loads of soundeadening'ing......(floors,doors,roof,bonnet, tailgate etc...)

hidden cd player with remote (you can get removes that strap to you steering wheel)
heated seats

loads you can do really

turbojolt
27-05-13, 12:06 PM
Not telling anyone what to do or not to do, just pointing out the fact its pointless :wtf:

its not 'fact' its opinion! and its wrong :p

mk1nova_rich
27-05-13, 04:28 PM
It is fact, its just your opinion that its wrong :p

brainsnova
27-05-13, 04:55 PM
The trip computer readings won't be pleasant reading after tuning an xe or let lol mpg is irrelevant

Benn
27-05-13, 05:08 PM
My let gives me the best mpg i've ever had! I can get 40 long run....

mowgli
27-05-13, 05:15 PM
My let gives me the best mpg i've ever had! I can get 40 long run....

you do know that riding home on the back of an aa wagon doesn't count lol lol

jam-77-nova
29-05-13, 01:41 AM
MPG is easy to work out tank by tank, what else are they good for? lol all there other functions lol dont know why but love a temp gauge in my cars poss because i go fishing though

Vlietje
29-05-13, 05:14 AM
Why not make a hybrid Nova?! That's modern nowadays...:wtf::wtf:

conad
02-06-13, 11:14 PM
Cruize control.

I was thinking about this the other day... How, how and HOW?

L14MNP
02-06-13, 11:30 PM

There's some proper sketchy ways... lol

conad
02-06-13, 11:39 PM
There's some proper sketchy ways... lol

I'm good at sketchy lol I read somewhere that I would need a solenoid on the throttle if wasn't drive by wire.

L14MNP
02-06-13, 11:43 PM
I'm good at sketchy lol I read somewhere that I would need a solenoid on the throttle if wasn't drive by wire.

Why no man! Stop being posh! lol

http://geometroforum.com/topic/3604064/1/

conad
02-06-13, 11:48 PM
Stop being posh! lol

Not posh.... Lazy lol

Southie
03-06-13, 12:48 PM
http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/2010/10/14/i-think-ive-broken-the-website/95cruisecontrol/

Hobbit
03-06-13, 12:53 PM
V6, auto, cruise control, leccy windows, lots of sound deadening and big comfy seats. Well that's what I would do if I wanted a modern feeling nova.

Benn
04-06-13, 08:26 AM

Easy, Cav/Vectra box and cable and stalk, small bit of wiring. Brake switch to turn it off.. Easy tbh.

No no, who do you think Astra/Cav/Callys and Vectra and stuff have it? It's all done by cable.. Screw flyby wire bullsh*t.

conad
04-06-13, 08:59 AM
Easy, Cav/Vectra box and cable and stalk, small bit of wiring. Brake switch to turn it off.. Easy tbh.

No no, who do you think Astra/Cav/Callys and Vectra and stuff have it? It's all done by cable.. Screw flyby wire bullsh*t.

Isn't the regulator box just a glorified solenoid anyway? Cheers though, I'm definitely going to get this on the nova

Benn
04-06-13, 12:42 PM
Kinda yeah, motor in a box that holds the wire.

just vaux trev
12-06-13, 08:57 PM
Who are you or I to tell someone else what to do to their car, or what makes sense? Did we turn into a fascist state when I wasn't looking lol Personally I'd much rather build a Nova for performance reasons, and am (slowly!) But if someone wants to put half a fibreglass shark on their roof and paint "Cafe" down the side of it, so be it.

Seems to have turned into a bit of a witch hunt from someone asking for ideas imo.

+rep, hate that everyone is now standard looking or on speedlines with gsi bumpers, i own both a gsi rep and wide arched novadose kitted big spoilered nova with a ridiculous drop on 17's, and currently building a rwd chopped bulkhead think that may not ever reach a road but like a bit of personality not what is "in"

Southie
12-06-13, 09:15 PM
+rep, hate that everyone is now standard looking or on speedlines with gsi bumpers, i own both a gsi rep and wide arched novadose kitted big spoilered nova with a ridiculous drop on 17's, and currently building a rwd chopped bulkhead think that may not ever reach a road but like a bit of personality not what is "in"

+rep as Rich hates MK2's, speedlines and doesn't condone to that culture lol

Benn
12-06-13, 09:54 PM

Gonna push the limits and lines and think outside the box.

Southie
12-06-13, 10:03 PM
Gonna push the limits and lines and think outside the box.

Ah that's why you changed the roof on yours, you didn't want the distinctive dimple in the roof then lol

Benn
12-06-13, 10:44 PM
That's why i went with different wheels and don' really like the "normal" ones that are common.

ben doodar
12-06-13, 11:08 PM
One thing I would like is an arm rest. Going have a look at knocking 1 up for mine one day.

Benn
12-06-13, 11:10 PM
I tried the mk4 astra one. Would need to be twice the height to work.... Maybe on a big bracket or stand, but that think would look poo...

MK999
13-06-13, 11:51 AM
Always the possibility of finding an interior with them on?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9UDz8Dgv1pg/Svs0V-6ZDbI/AAAAAAAAHM0/sPLynCHkpy8/s400/E30-M5-cabrio+(8).jpg

Best pic I can find, looks like they've been grafted onto sport seats which looks a bit uncomfortable... but that's what my E34 interior was like. They fold up out of the way too.

Benn
13-06-13, 05:58 PM
Now they would be very cool.

Hobbit
13-06-13, 06:22 PM
Something like this could possibly be modified to fit?

http://www.kdrseating.com/products/view.php?id=49&c=14&p=3

andy_mk3
13-06-13, 07:14 PM
Some of the things things to my astra:

Omega one-touch sunroof
Auto-close windows
Cruise control
Vectra steering wheel with radio controls
BMW auto-dim rear view mirror

Jack
13-06-13, 07:27 PM
http://www.carbag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/new-used-vauxhall-corsa-350x239.jpg

lol

pie
13-06-13, 07:29 PM
lol jack