PDA

View Full Version : How much boost !?! Recommendations please

Scottishcarnut
22-05-13, 11:47 PM
Hi there,

White ring mod done with dimple removed. Fuel screw turned 1/4 turn. Safety valve welded up. Boost gauge plumbed in and manual boost controller fitted. Cone air filter induction fitted and exhaust straight through.

What do you recon would be a good setting for the boost to be set at? I was thinking of 1.2 bar!?!

Can't really find any good info other than how too guides.

Scottishcarnut
23-05-13, 09:17 AM
Should I add that it is a 1.5TD

thegingerwhinger
23-05-13, 09:38 AM
Theres a decent tuning guide on this forum mate and they do .7 std so id reckon on 1.2 being fine, i had mine running on 1.1 and it never gave me any hassle

Scottishcarnut
23-05-13, 09:47 AM
Thanks. I did read the tuning guide. I was simply wondering what was safe ie 1 bar, what was not too insane ie 1.4 bar and what was gonna be terminal ie 2.0 bar lol

It seems to me that these engines have been overlooked with regards to tuning potential and there is still a lot of guess work going on.

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube of a corsa b 1.5 td running 1.6 bar . Bloody fast accelerating going on there !!! Wonder what his spec was?

Think I will hit the 1.2 bar and see how she reacts :-)

thegingerwhinger
23-05-13, 10:39 AM
She'll be fine lol booooom

MK999
23-05-13, 12:38 PM
Only one I've ever actually heard of going bang was baxters at 42psi with 2 turbo's on it, and Hendrix blew a turbo on one at 32 PSI, most people go for ~25 and they run quite happily. Balley on here runs over 30 now I think? Burgo number 2 runs a fair amount through a 1.7td too, not sure what he's up to now lol

Basically they're pretty bombproof.

Scottishcarnut
27-05-13, 09:56 PM
I have mine now set at 1.4 bar or 20 psi and she is great. If I fit my charge cooler I have, will I be able to run more boost with effect?!?