PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded downpipe bolts

jimbob-mcgrew
20-05-13, 04:40 PM
you know the ones im talking about, that link the downpipe to the manifold (4 to 2 join)

those bugger bolts always snap when removed.

I need to change the pipe on my 1.3, but I have very limited tools at my disposal, basically just a ratchet and socket. I need to get the pipe off without the bolts breaking or im in trouble (my drill etc I don't have with me)

whats the best way of getting these out nicely ?
I was thinking possibly run the engine up to temp and try crack them out while its hot ? would that be wise ?

MK999
20-05-13, 04:53 PM
Sometimes you're just up against it on stuff like this, if it's stuck in there harder than the bolt is strong, you're not gonna get very far! I would soak them in WD40 for as long as you can, heat the manifold and you can also carefully apply water or something to the bolt, so the manifold expands and the bolt shrinks.

Chances are it snaps anyway though so your best bet is to be in a situation where it doesn't matter too much if it does!

chrisd1986
20-05-13, 04:54 PM
Ive done them on a mk4 astra when it was hot and it was fine but even when cold ive not had problems with bolts snapping gueass im lucky like that, if you dont have to use the car daily i would get a wire brush to them and over a couple of days spray with wd40 and go for it

jimbob-mcgrew
20-05-13, 08:00 PM
i don't have my wd40 or my wire brush either lol... bugger. I have the tap water available lol

im paranoid they'll go on mine, the steel is old, but in a reasonably ok heat treated condition.

ive had 3 outta 4 break on me in the past. the one that survived was tight all the way out.

the 1200's (4-1) pipe is fine, its just the (4-2) buggers found on the 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 that have a tendancy to give up once the rust gets hold.

they deffo respond better to shocking out, than easing the force on them.

ive slopped half a tin of gun-gum on as a temporary bodge in the meantime.

I think I feel a 7-10 day repeated soaking of wd40 coming along.

Andy
20-05-13, 08:20 PM
wd40 is fukkin useless.
wurth rost off or halfords own shock and unlock is far superior.
You need to wire brush them as best as you can,run the car up to temp and you have a fighting chance of them surviving.

mowgli
20-05-13, 08:25 PM
when they snap, just drill them out with progressively bigger drill bits until you end up right next to the thread, then jam a screwdriver in & twist them out

Rich
25-05-13, 01:58 PM
get a blow torch in there and heat the manifold until it glows orange, then undo it. Or snap it and buy a 4 branch, good excuse to upgrade