PDA

View Full Version : rear chassis rail rusty

novalew
19-05-13, 01:03 PM
Obviously some of you lot have suffered this to. Shall I get a piece cut out of another car or make it. Anyone else made it themselves or any tips?
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h381/novalew/20130518_131146_zps1ff183ad.jpg

jimbob-mcgrew
19-05-13, 02:02 PM
do you have access to a welder ?

depends how mad you wanna go with the restoration. if you wanna do a full-on proper job youll need to get rid of all the rust on the inside too, which would involve chopping sections out to gain access.

if it was me, id do a half way job probably, and clean the entire surrounding area back to bare steel and treat it with some rust killer. then anywhere where the metal is missing, or excessively thin / weak, id cut out and replace with new steel.

then give it a going over with some decent quality anti-rust primer, and stone chip inside and out to protect it

novalew
19-05-13, 04:03 PM
Yeah im currently improving my welding. I have some 1.2mm sheet would this be ok or go thicker? Also should I put holes in it or box it?

Benn
19-05-13, 06:22 PM
I'd get some bent up at an engineering place(infact i did), the cut the on ones back till you hit clean metal then weld the new ones in.