PDA

View Full Version : C20let cam options

skud52
18-05-13, 07:52 PM
Ive seen that people run the xe inlet cam, and that needs retarding by 7degrees i think? But my question is can i run xe high lift cams and what would be required? Ive a set of qed cams out of my old engine and wondering whether i can run these? And what would be required?

All help on this would be great cheers

Marcusgeorge
18-05-13, 08:52 PM
People use the xe cams becuse the duration is highest than that of the normal let ones and then retard it to reduce the valve overlap in the cc. It's only recommended on let's with big turbos though.

Will need to chip the ecu though I think to get full advantge of the cams

philip
19-05-13, 07:55 AM
What spec are the cams? If on standalone ecu, big turbo etc then may get away with it. Used to use mega high lift cam on the beetles when turbo'd to get the engines to rev but due to the over lap you'd hammer the fuel.

skud52
19-05-13, 08:57 AM
Not sure on actual apec of cam, all i know is there a qed set whixh an be used with hydraulic lifters on an xe to produce 200bhp. Ive ordered a set of verniers but im un sure whether a. Will the hit the pistons and b. any timing adjustments that need to be made?

At the moment it will be on standard ecu with evo 5 chips and standrt turbo but hopefully by end of tear will be gt28 on megasquirt. My hoping is that they will run fine with no problems then once i change spec i can dial the cans for full benefit

Cheers

philip
20-05-13, 07:32 AM
Have a look at dizzy side of cams I'm guessing will either be q42 or q38h in the end. 42 you should get away with but the 38h iirc would need pocketed pistons.

skud52
20-05-13, 12:33 PM
Cams are n42h so this hould be ok yea? Wht about cam timing? Run it at standard marks or will i need to retard the inlet like i would on a standrd cam?

Cheers for all the help

philip
20-05-13, 02:25 PM
Are you running both cams or let exhaust cam? Without dry building the motor to see what valve-piston clearence is like at 7deg retard on inlet I wouldn't want to say its ok really and it turns out it isn't. You can always time it up and turn engine over to see if will turn over ok without locking up. But that would be upto you if ran it like that.

skud52
20-05-13, 04:45 PM
I was going to use both cams. Pistons are pocketed wossner too. How would i go about checking clearance as heads not fitted yet so everything can be checked. Cheers

Benn
20-05-13, 07:16 PM
It's only recommended on let's with big turbos though.

Is it? I have it on mine(inlet), gave me more torque and a touch more horses

matthew172
20-05-13, 08:09 PM
you cant run the exhaust cam on std management but you will be ok to run with both cams when your on standalone, retard the inlet and advance the exhaust to reduce the overlap, I run stock xe inlet cam and stock let exhaust cam and mine is running at 402hp