PDA

View Full Version : is anything gonna be bent

Dave
26-08-03, 10:45 PM
the cambelt on my 14sr decided to lose some teeth tonight
is there gonna be any internal damage or am i gonna be lucky an be able to just replace the belt??!

Aragorn
26-08-03, 11:16 PM
is it still running?

if it died then prolly damaged summat :|

Dave
26-08-03, 11:19 PM
it stopped wjust as i pulled up to my house, popped the bonnet an the alt belt is turnin the bottom pulley but looks like the teeth have been ripped off at the bottom pulley so not spinnin the belt round

techie
27-08-03, 12:01 AM
If it is the cambelt that has stripped teeth not the alternator belt then yes it probably have done damage of some description.

Take off the cam cover and see if any of the followers are broken. If not then fit a new cambelt after timing the engine up correctly and turn it over by hand.

If all seems well then you have been lucky, start her up.

If not the the head will have to come off for inspection.

Dave
27-08-03, 09:08 AM
got a new belt comin today so will have to have a look tonight when i get back from work tonight :(

steve-o
27-08-03, 09:13 AM
i asked my bro, and apparantly the 1.4 is NOT a valve safe head :(

Dave
27-08-03, 09:17 AM
that's what i thought know the 1.2's an think the 1.3sr's are but wasn't sure about this one

Dave
27-08-03, 03:58 PM
went to get a new belt at lunch
'sorry we haven't got any of those in stock at the moment :o we can get one in for you tomorrow'

Gobby
29-08-03, 12:49 AM
The same thing happened to my GTE a few year back, the engine was fine when a new belt was fitted.

mowgli
29-08-03, 07:38 PM
think about this....

if the engine is damaged already, what have you got to lose??????

try the belt, if the engine has hydr. lifters, I reckon it should survive ok.

Dave
30-08-03, 12:01 AM
i'm off to buy a lottery ticket in the mornin!
all is ok an nowt is bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
took old belt off slapped new one on turned it over tried to fire sounded ok
did a bit of eye to eye adjustment of the timing top pulley 12 o clock bottom pulley 2 o'clock an jobs a gooden runs better than she did before! gonna go borrow a timng light to sort it propper monday night.
while she was sat up she lost water, found out rad had a small leak :( went next door to me mates (hes got one goin to the scrappy) was in good nick so gonna fit it on in the am! :D

mark_GSi
30-08-03, 01:20 PM
nice1 m8