PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Audi S3

paul080803
15-05-13, 11:09 PM
Anybody owned one? Looking at one tomorrow, anything apart from the usual to check for?

raf24
15-05-13, 11:15 PM
I think bazil would be your man to ask mate :)

w88rdy
15-05-13, 11:54 PM
Yes I had one but when they were brand new, lovely car at the time, known for being very tuneable , only problem I had with mine was coil packs , very common on these as they are individual on each plug but apart from that I had no problems at all. Ps Nogaro blue ftw

faker
16-05-13, 12:32 AM
I've one at the mo. lovely machine. Door locks and rear suspension bushes give up around now. Doors drop due to the sheer weight of them, easily jacked up again. Longitude and latitude sensors behind the dash gave up on mine putting on the abs light. Apart from that I love it. Two years of ownership without to many issues. Remap and it's running 267bhp. They do run out of puff around 5 to 5.5k revs, just give them another gear and off you go.

faker
16-05-13, 12:46 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/tyreface/Photo0392.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/tyreface/media/Photo0392.jpg.html)

bazil
16-05-13, 07:26 AM
RUST !! lol

Check along the roof rails , door bottom corners, arches etc, mine is imola yellow which is apparently one of the worst colours to rust :(

Coil packs you can't check they just fcuk up but only cost £25 from Audi
Service history is an advantage as higher milage cars can suffer clocked up oil pick up pipes causing a loss of oil pressure ( if you buy the parts it costs less than £100 to replace it and that includes the oil )
Make sure when the car is running there is no abs/traction control lights on

Check both cooling fans for any play,
Make sure it runs upto temperature ( thermostats are a comon failure )
Make sure the air con works with no noises from the pump ( in the region of £800 for a new pump from Audi )

Other common faults include the LCD display on the dash loosing some of the lines on it,
Wheel bearings and bushes ( bottom wish one and dog bone usually )

You can test the traction control works buy driving along and brake lightly with your left foot, the traction control should cut in and you should loose power,

Once you turn the engine off you should hear the water still moving in the engine, it's the after run pump doing its job, mine doesn't work anymore lol

I had to change the longitudinal sensor on mine, when it failed I lost ABS the 4wd system, traction control and the EDC it cost £140 for the sensor and I fitted myself, you can buy a cheap £20 code reader from eBay and that's a handy tool to have.

I've had mine since 2003 and done 100,000 miles, I love it so much that when I sold it I bought it back 4 months later lol
They are good cars and bloody cheap now,

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/sts%202010/P8210005.jpg

bazil
16-05-13, 07:26 AM
Oops.

paul080803
16-05-13, 09:26 AM
RUST !! lol

Check along the roof rails , door bottom corners, arches etc, mine is imola yellow which is apparently one of the worst colours to rust :(

Coil packs you can't check they just fcuk up but only cost £25 from Audi
Service history is an advantage as higher milage cars can suffer clocked up oil pick up pipes causing a loss of oil pressure ( if you buy the parts it costs less than £100 to replace it and that includes the oil )
Make sure when the car is running there is no abs/traction control lights on

Check both cooling fans for any play,
Make sure it runs upto temperature ( thermostats are a comon failure )
Make sure the air con works with no noises from the pump ( in the region of £800 for a new pump from Audi )

Other common faults include the LCD display on the dash loosing some of the lines on it,
Wheel bearings and bushes ( bottom wish one and dog bone usually )

You can test the traction control works buy driving along and brake lightly with your left foot, the traction control should cut in and you should loose power,

Once you turn the engine off you should hear the water still moving in the engine, it's the after run pump doing its job, mine doesn't work anymore lol

I had to change the longitudinal sensor on mine, when it failed I lost ABS the 4wd system, traction control and the EDC it cost £140 for the sensor and I fitted myself, you can buy a cheap £20 code reader from eBay and that's a handy tool to have.

I've had mine since 2003 and done 100,000 miles, I love it so much that when I sold it I bought it back 4 months later lol
They are good cars and bloody cheap now,

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/sts%202010/P8210005.jpg

Cheers for the detailed list!! Going to look lunchtime today, the M3 is going Saturday and I need something to tow the nova with and have some fun all at a sensible price and the S3 ticks those boxes. Had an itch to go back to turbo charged power for a while now too.

I would link to the black 2001 S3 at £3495 in Havant on a well known auction site, but aware they are a no no out of club area ;)

2001 facelift, 127k miles with full history, black electric leather, MOT Nov 2013 and TAX August 2013, both keys, book pack, HPI clear from a dealer. Seems a fair price subject to condition? Standard car.

I would add some more rep to you but

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bazil again.

bazil
16-05-13, 10:08 AM
No problem mate. The only other thing I'd say is make sure the haldex unit on the rear diff isn't making any clicking noises, infact no noises,

As faker said too, door locks lol, forgot about that, basically if you have to try and close the door 3 times you need to locks, I had my door open on me when driving on the motorway lol, had to hold it closed till I got off the motorway!

Here's a thread I stated a while ago,

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?171071-bazils-S3-*-caution-VAG-content-*

L33 LEG
16-05-13, 04:14 PM
Love these! Always wanted a yellow one. Not much help like lol

paul080803
16-05-13, 05:03 PM
Well I viewed it. It was nice, the interior was mint except the buttons had all worn off on the climate control. Outisde was good for a black 12 year old car with 127k miles. A good machine polish would have helped but the rear bumper needed paint. It had winter tyres on it and the alloys needed a refurb.

It is on the maybe list but going to look at a newer silver one (225) tomorrow with 99k miles on it. But £1500 more.

faker
16-05-13, 05:41 PM
Definitely a nice motor mate. Get one bought. I changed from an imprezza to the S3 and it was well justified. Don't get me wrong, imprezza turbo is a good car, ticks all the boxes and go like poo off a shovel! But they simply aren't as nice a place to be when compared to the S3. Plus the Audi is a bit more civilised.

bazil
16-05-13, 07:34 PM
Just don't make the mistake in thinking you can get the tail out and drift the S3 lol
They don't drive like that,

But this one does lol, so want to do this conversion if mine blows up lol

http://youtu.be/VOXADJaBA7I

John
16-05-13, 08:34 PM
/\ seen that a few times now, tis an awesome car (although it's now a turbo'd v6) I've been quite fancying an s3 recently too! Love your yelllow Bazil.

bazil
16-05-13, 08:42 PM
Cheers John :)

Yeah the turbo R32 engine would be awesome in it,

I can see me buying a cheap 2k S3 and stripping it right out for a track car, in road trim they are 1460kg which is bloody heavy and they are still quick with all that weight, I think a stripped one would be awesome,

brainsnova
16-05-13, 09:06 PM
Just get a TT and the good one 225bhp 6 gears

John
16-05-13, 09:10 PM

And look like a hairdresser? lol

faker
16-05-13, 09:14 PM
/\ seen that a few times now, tis an awesome car (although it's now a turbo'd v6) I've been quite fancying an s3 recently too! Love your yelllow Bazil.
That thing is mega, turbo'd r32 engine. God it's quick.

bazil
16-05-13, 11:10 PM

Eh all S3's have 6 speed box's and the 225 ain't the best engine,
Weak rods limit the power you can run on standard internals,

The APY ( 210 bhp ) is supposed to have the strongest internals
I've seen a good few BAM ( 225 bhp ) engines suffering cracked turbo manifolds due to overheating on bad remaps,

brainsnova
17-05-13, 12:03 AM
And look like a hairdresser? lol

Same with s3 lol 911 is my next recommendation

Liam
18-05-13, 11:18 PM
Paul, did you sell the M3 to a guy in Margate/Thanet as I saw it this evening at around 7pm. It was on standard M3 alloys with the reg LT53 WRC. I'm sure it is yours as I remember it from being behind you all the way to billing lol.

If it is yours/your old one its a bit of a coincidence as your the other side of the country to me so its not as if you sold it to someone local or something...

paul080803
19-05-13, 12:22 AM
Paul, did you sell the M3 to a guy in Margate/Thanet as I saw it this evening at around 7pm. It was on standard M3 alloys with the reg LT53 WRC. I'm sure it is yours as I remember it from being behind you all the way to billing lol.

If it is yours/your old one its a bit of a coincidence as your the other side of the country to me so its not as if you sold it to someone local or something...

Yes Liam, it went today and he lives that way. He is taking it to the ring at the weekend too.

Really nice guy so pleased in that way, just got to find a new car. Going to look at a Nogaro blue S3 this week

paul080803
22-05-13, 02:54 PM
Well picking up the S3 this evening, build thread to follow at some point.

2000 (X) Nogaro Blue
APY engine
99k miles
Full history (Audi and AMD)
Facelift headlights, rear lights and chrome wing mirrors
Stage 2 Jabbasport remap approx 275bhp
Black leather, heated seats not working though
Sunroof
Bose

Pretty much full spec and good condition for age and mileage, plus it popped up 7 miles from my house!

John
22-05-13, 06:34 PM
Sounds good! Nogaro blue is awesome colour.

faker
23-05-13, 11:32 PM
Nice one. You will be a happy man.

paul080803
24-05-13, 10:24 AM
Problems already!

ABS Light has come on, car will be read on vag-com this afternoon
Boot will not open, solenoid working so I presume it is a mechanism issue
Quattro not engaging, again will vag-com it this afternoon. I was going to change the haldex controller anyway so not too fussed if it is that.

But I am happy with it overall, fun car and drives fine. Price was right and it has a few other issues and nothing is phasing me as I went in eyes open so to speak.

faker
24-05-13, 12:43 PM
Problems already!

ABS Light has come on, car will be read on vag-com this afternoon
Boot will not open, solenoid working so I presume it is a mechanism issue
Quattro not engaging, again will vag-com it this afternoon. I was going to change the haldex controller anyway so not too fussed if it is that.

But I am happy with it overall, fun car and drives fine. Price was right and it has a few other issues and nothing is phasing me as I went in eyes open so to speak.
Most likely the sensors in the dash as mentioned before. Iirc the central locking is controlled by a pump. Could be a Vacuume hose at fault. Be a great motor when sorted.

bazil
24-05-13, 02:34 PM
lollol excellent

Any pics ???