PDA

View Full Version : Help with tow straps

edkillick
15-05-13, 06:11 PM
I'm looking at getting a tow strap because race car and was wondering how you actually put them on? Do you just bolt them to the existing tow hook or is there some
Hacking at the bumper involved? Got a mk2 front bumper if that's any help.
Cheers

Calamity Josh
15-05-13, 08:54 PM
I'm looking at getting a tow strap because race car

ermmmm... lol

pottersrebel
15-05-13, 09:43 PM
if your towing eye sticks out of the front bumper then you shouldnt need a towing strap, in the btcc the towing ring is painted yellow so it stands out. surely if its a requirement in your formulas rules then it should stated as to how it should be fitted? If its not in your rule book then dont bother wasting your cash

edkillick
15-05-13, 11:29 PM
if your towing eye sticks out of the front bumper then you shouldnt need a towing strap, in the btcc the towing ring is painted yellow so it stands out. surely if its a requirement in your formulas rules then it should stated as to how it should be fitted? If its not in your rule book then dont bother wasting your cash
I've got the towing ring on my bumper obviously just a lot of the towing straps you can get I'm not sure if you bolt them to the existing ring or not. It's not that I require one I just think they look quite sporty, as I'm trying to get a more sporty look with my car instead of this euro trash haha. They're only about £20 anyway, they look like they have a female end on them with a hole to put a bolt though so they stay on. Really hard to explain but look up luke tow straps and the chunk of metal on the end is what I'm talking about just can't find any decent fitting guides for them

edkillick
15-05-13, 11:30 PM
What! Nothing wrong with thinking your 1.2 is a race car! Lol

Calamity Josh
16-05-13, 07:35 AM
What! Nothing wrong with thinking your 1.2 is a race car! Lol

it is when it's a mk2 more door :P

edkillick
16-05-13, 08:00 AM
it is when it's a mk2 more door :P
I was joking but what ever

dc1984
16-05-13, 08:08 AM
Just use a shackle to attach it to the original hook. Just Make surr its strong enough tho.

David

scott.parker
16-05-13, 08:23 AM
Imo don't bother, they should be left to the saxo 106 chavs who put smirffs etc on he towe eyes.

edkillick
16-05-13, 09:22 AM
Just use a shackle to attach it to the original hook. Just Make surr its strong enough tho.

David
Thanks mate will give that a try.
Going to look at putting either c20let in over Xmas this year and track use only, or put a 1.6 8v over this summer for a daily haha decisions!

Hobbit
16-05-13, 10:46 AM
Mine

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/20130116_160535.jpg

Just bolted to the original tow hook.

edkillick
16-05-13, 11:23 AM
Mine

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/20130116_160535.jpg

Just bolted to the original tow hook.
Ah cool thanks mate that's what I was after

Iain
16-05-13, 05:10 PM
Don't listen to Scott as he's only angry he doesn't have a tow strap

You can bolt it to the original tow hook with some large bolts and washers.

I had to hack a hole out of my mk2 bumper so I could get it off without removing the strap.

Hobbit
16-05-13, 05:23 PM
Don't listen to Scott as he's only angry he doesn't have a track day nova

Edited for the truth...

scott.parker
16-05-13, 06:15 PM
Edited for the truth...

Lol if I did I wouldn't fit a chav strap, all the chavs round here fit them.

edkillick
16-05-13, 06:57 PM
Don't listen to Scott as he's only angry he doesn't have a tow strap

You can bolt it to the original tow hook with some large bolts and washers.

I had to hack a hole out of my mk2 bumper so I could get it off without removing the strap.
Haha angry is he!! Cheers for that makes it a bit clearer on it, lucky I work at screw fix, even cheaper bolts!

Iain
16-05-13, 08:32 PM
Edited for the truth...

Was gonna say that but wasn't sure if it would hit a nerve lol

I think I used an M12 bolt from the top, through the tow strap, through the tow hook, then used a massive washer off the tiebar (the one either side of the bush on the crossmember), then a nylock nut. Seems sturdy and I instantly gained 10% more respect and 55 scene points.

Hobbit
16-05-13, 09:05 PM
Same as mine.

Do you have a transformer sticker? If not then you're falling behind on scene points.

edkillick
16-05-13, 09:35 PM
Right nice one ill grab some from work tomorrow then. Don't forget to hang something from your rear tow ring for extra scene points

Hobbit
16-05-13, 09:43 PM
I'm not a total c**t! lol

marc69
16-05-13, 10:58 PM
my 1.4 track car had this on the rear, previous owner had cut the tow eye off, drilled two holes in the chasis leg and bolted the starp in there. I left the strap behind the bumper so you couldn't see it.

They allso cut the tow eye at the front but fitted nothing, typically just after i got it on the road the ignition system packed up and I had to get it towed home, with no tow eye......i'm sure this will send lots of people mad but, I just hooked it onto the anti roll bar!

L14MNP
17-05-13, 02:54 AM
Subway ring > Happy Meal Smurf.