PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about alternter and rad pipe ?? help

jonnyd61
14-05-13, 07:38 PM
iv done a xe conversion in a nova. the alternator seem to be to far to the right so the belt will not run straight at all ....why is this ?????

also what pipe do I need that goes from the thermo stat to the top of the rad ?? (see pic)

jonnyd61
14-05-13, 07:40 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/babyjayjay2/IMG00922-20130514-1913_zpsaa899967.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/babyjayjay2/media/IMG00922-20130514-1913_zpsaa899967.jpg.html)

jimbob-mcgrew
14-05-13, 11:36 PM
I cut and pasted this out of the 20xe guide. might help ?

" The alternator pulley hits the chassis leg of the nova right by the drivers side suspension turret. This means you need to alter the chassis leg to avoid the alternator pulley. This mod needs to take the chassis leg in so that it's inline with the suspension turret to miss the alternator. You also need to alter the crank pulley. You must run the single-V alternator pulley, and not the poly-V one that came on later engines. You need to take off the outer V on the crank pulley, which is used for the PAS + Aircon pump belt on cavs, etc. You can machine it off, or grind it down with an angle grinder or similar. Make sure you try and keep it fairly balanced though, as it sits right on the crank. "

the rad hose, you could knock up something temporary with 2 sections of hose cut to size, joined by a metal pipe (90 degrees or straight, depending on the shape of the hoses) and lock it down with some jubilee clips ?

jonnyd61
15-05-13, 10:59 AM
thanks mate I dnt have a prob with it hitting the leg its as if its sat to far the other way eg the alternator pully is in line with the belt cover.
mates have send it could be the wrong alternator has I took this one off an 8v mite have even come off an old 1.6 engine I used to have cnt remember ???

jimbob-mcgrew
15-05-13, 12:57 PM
yeah possibly mate, you might need a 16v item to suit it ? would make sense
sorry, im not clued up enough to say, will have to wait for someone else to comment.

if your knocking up a custom rad hose for temporary, Id make sure its got enough slack in it to flex, as the engine can lunge back and forth quite a ways, when under load. wouldn't wanna make it too tight and risk it damaging the radiator or weakening its seal.

jonnyd61
15-05-13, 02:44 PM
cheers mate