PDA

View Full Version : 1600 Twin 40s... Distributor to Coil wiring loom... Fuel Pump.. H&A

elgan
13-05-13, 08:07 PM
trying to get my spider ready for PV2013

I bought a brand new distributor and a coil suitable for the 14NV or whatever it was (i cant remember)

I understand theres a loom between the coil and dizzy, i dont fancy my chances on finding one so therefore probably easier to make one.

Can anyone advise on the wires in the loom and where they go to?

Also, i bought a facet fuel pump and a regualtor beginning with S..
Wheres the best place for me to mount the pump? I dont really want it on show.

All help and advice appreciated. i have 1 month to get it OTR

elgan
13-05-13, 08:20 PM
also should there be gaskets between the carbs and the irmscher manifold, and gaskets between the carbs and the irmscher airbox?

MK999
13-05-13, 08:38 PM
I'd go for MISAB plates and cosworth washers on the lot, chances are that Irmscher box has a reasonably big amplitude at it's natural frequency that you'll want to isolate.

elgan
13-05-13, 08:45 PM
never heard of them. what are they?

MK999
13-05-13, 08:50 PM
http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/images/bbs/posts/97_2009101208421022311_30816250101086_1255559341.j pg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/A-PAIR-OF-COSWORTH-STYLE-WEBBER-AND-DELLORTO-CARBURETTOR-ANTI-FROTH-WASHERS-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJEQE-QjQTwvQBPtMs(HkoQ~~60_12.JPG

Stops fuel frothing, give: http://www.dellorto.co.uk/ a bell, local to me but they're spot on for carb bits.

elgan
20-05-13, 12:07 AM
Can anyone kindly draw a diagram of the harness for me to make one please?

therealnovaboy
20-05-13, 01:36 AM
"+" on dizzy is a black/yellow wire which runs to pin 5 on the ignition module
"-" on the dizzy is a blue/green wire which runs to pin 6 on the ignition module

pin 4 from igntion module is connected to live along with the black from the coil

pin 1 from module is connected to green along with negative from coil

pin 2 on module is connected to ground

elgan
13-06-13, 09:40 PM
the coil wiring was spot on. thanks real nova boy

i got misab plates and zachary washers. i originally had the carbs bolted on with these but lost a couple of bolts on way back from pv. since fitted studs but they are too short to accept the washers and thread down to the blue bit on the lock nuts. any suggestions on longer studs i could use without being too long?

the cars currently running with misab plates, studs and no washers. how much of a problem is it likely to cause with fuel frothing on an otherwise standard engine on a road car?

elgan
13-06-13, 09:43 PM
make that thackery washers lol

MK999
13-06-13, 10:55 PM
Never had a problem fitting misabs and cosworth washers, which appear thicker than thackeray washers, but it should just be a standard thread, find out what it is and cut down some threaded bar to the right lengths?

Alternatively try eurocarb again, they're not bad with random parts.

jimbob-mcgrew
14-06-13, 01:33 AM
"+" on dizzy is a black/yellow wire which runs to pin 5 on the ignition module
"-" on the dizzy is a blue/green wire which runs to pin 6 on the ignition module

pin 4 from igntion module is connected to live along with the black from the coil
pin 1 from module is connected to green along with negative from coil
pin 2 on module is connected to ground

^ check you out ... top man :)

how did you attach the wiring to the 7 pin module elgan ? tiny spade connectors or something

elgan
14-06-13, 02:21 PM
Tiny spade connectors at the moment. But I've got a 7 pin plug kit on back order with my local motor factors. His number is 01269591128. Speak to Chris the owner. I think he may have ordered a couple spare

elgan
19-06-13, 12:03 AM
Another question hopefully my last

The 14nv dizzy has a vacuum advance. When running twin 40s (dellorto in this case) do people plumb the vacuum advance up to the carbs? Is it important for setting up ignition timing etc? There's no vacuum take offs on the bodies but I guess I could fit some if I had to.