PDA

View Full Version : NOVA SHELL, SODA BLAST OR DIPPED . whats your opinion

kbnova
12-05-13, 09:04 PM
Hello sorry if this has been covered many times, but every post everyone has their own reason for or against each process to strip rust and paint,

my shell is a solid mint shell, few bad parts I found while stripping it down ., this is a keeper, so want to do it rite first time,

if I get the car soda blasted , how and whats the best way to treat coat the inter sills and chassis legs,

best to coat the car with etch primer after the blasting or is there another rust coating that can be used aswell

all opinions welcome,

bazil
12-05-13, 09:24 PM
If it's that mint then you shouldn't need to strip it,

Soda blasting will only work on painted areas and will not remove sealer or rust,

Dipping, well I wouldn't.

philip
12-05-13, 09:25 PM
i think conads thread about blasting his bay some lads mentioned about soda blasting, which wouldnt get underseal off as isnt aggressive enough.

ive got an evo6 shell i had acid dipped +e-coated i know shell is solid and the few odds and sods that otherwise wouldnt of seen can now be repaired...........only thing is to do the 6 shell was £2400. £900 to dip and £1500 to e-coat from spl over midlands way. dipping is best way as it gets everything off, blasting will remove rust but wont remove all the underseal. so options are have shell blasted......most blasters should have different medias they can use or pay out for acid dipping/coating.

kbnova
12-05-13, 09:25 PM
meant the bad areas to blast,

Benn
12-05-13, 09:26 PM
Blasting wont get inside anything remember.. It only does the outer surfaces.

If you get it dipped, get it dipped in etch while its there. As it will fill the chassis legs and everything so protect it more.
Anything bare metal you wanna protect, Epoxy primers are one of the best to use. Pump a waxall like cavity wax in to all the legs and sills and such, then make sure the drain holes are free/clear.

bazil
12-05-13, 09:27 PM
meant the bad areas to blast,

You can forget soda blasting then,

kbnova
12-05-13, 09:30 PM
feck don't know what to do now, all the companies who dip are in England, but after reading a thread here about a nova sport being treated bits didn't turn out well

I rang a few local companies who sand blast, one guy said he will blast the underseal off with glass beads and soda blast the paint,

other said soda the lot, which I didn't think it would have done my job

bazil
12-05-13, 09:33 PM
Iirc there is only 1 company who offer acid dip and E coat dip and thats SPL

Edd
12-05-13, 09:36 PM
I have a shell that's been dipped, personally I would say don't bother

kbnova
12-05-13, 09:39 PM
it was your shell I read about edd in the thread, is it the roof that was the only bother

abznovasport
12-05-13, 09:41 PM
Mine has been dipped and came out ok, will let you know how the paint is in a few months :(

Nick J
12-05-13, 09:50 PM
I know a few on here have used surface processing down south who dip then e coat. I would say that is the best way in my opinion to go. However they haven't been without issues as others would tell you.

Nick.

Novasport
12-05-13, 10:27 PM
I wouldnt p!ss on SPL if they were on fire. One of the worse companies I have ever dealt with! Had to refrain from knocking the prick out that works there and I have to avoid them at NEC as they make my blood boil.
I would steer clear if I were you, I had major problems with them and so did Keith Robinson and they just dont give a crap. I don't think the process is all its made out to be.

kbnova
12-05-13, 10:32 PM
its a lot of money, so don't want that to happen to me,

conad
12-05-13, 10:33 PM
I wouldnt p!ss on SPL if they were on fire. One of the worse companies I have ever dealt with! Had to refrain from knocking the prick out that works there and I have to avoid them at NEC as they make my blood boil.
I would steer clear if I were you, I had major problems with them and so did Keith Robinson and they just dont give a crap. I don't think the process is all its made out to be.

Oooh spill the beans lol

brainsnova
12-05-13, 10:38 PM
Blast and if the legs look rough then chop out :thumb: