PDA

View Full Version : race car c.v issues!!

nn-vaux
12-05-13, 07:37 PM
hi people, ive got a race car with a vauxhall F20 box and ive bin breaking inner and outter c.v's :mad:

ive got told to do this...
car down on the floor on it wheels take castel nut off the outter c.v.. push the outter c.v into the box and i should have about in inch off thread hanging out... then if you have, it should be okay?!

you lot heard this before??

many thanks :thumb:

MiniManDan118
12-05-13, 07:43 PM
What outers are you running? I had custom shafts running 2.0 inners and 1.2 outers and everytime I went out id seize an outer

mowgli
12-05-13, 07:44 PM
well, you need a certain clearance for the cv joints. but that hardly sounds a scientific way of doing it.

what make of shafts & cv's are you using?

nn-vaux
12-05-13, 07:48 PM
they both 2litre c.vs inners and outters out of a astra gte genuine ones!! with unbreakable drive shafts...

mowgli
12-05-13, 07:53 PM
i'd imagine that removing the springs from the front struts (or finding some donors) and putting the car up on stands with a jack under each bottom arm would be a pretty accurate way of checking shaft/cv movement.

with a car on the ground, the suspension is hardly working, you need to move the arms up & down to see whats occuring at different deflection points to see if it is catching somewhere

nn-vaux
12-05-13, 08:02 PM
yeah i see what you mean mate.. yea il try that anythinks worth a try enir?! thanks matyee :D have anice day

Benn
12-05-13, 08:48 PM
You want between 15 and 20mm movement in and out... Or else the knuckles are under strain all the time.

pottersrebel
12-05-13, 09:04 PM
i had a similar problem with my stock car and it turned out i was making the drive shaft too long ( we cut ours and extend to suit the extreme cambers we run ) so the joints were constanty under pressure

meritlover
12-05-13, 09:23 PM
it sounds like you dont have enough 'plunge-depth' ie your shafts are too long or your track is too narrow. you could remove your spring and lift the wishbone through the full travel to see if it bottoms out. even if it doesnt, there will be enough flex then it may still foul when hard cornering.