PDA

View Full Version : Nut & Bolt Kit or Info

MiniManDan118
09-05-13, 02:56 PM
Has anyone ever cataloged every nut and bolt needed to rebuild a Nova? I know you can get kits for Minis which include all nuts and bolts needed to rebuild the majority of the car but can't find one for a Nova. If not, I will try my best to do it when I take my Novas apart and rebuild the good one!

Cheers
Dan

MiniManDan118
12-05-13, 05:51 PM
Guess that's a job for me then...

kbnova
12-05-13, 05:56 PM
ive my gsi stripped ready to get blasted , I have every nut, bolt , clip and screw in different boxes, many to replace, think that's your only bet, if your missing bolts, buy in from your local motor factors

mowgli
12-05-13, 05:58 PM
the trouble is that BL used to publish paper parts lists for mini's & they listed all the std threads etc...

the nova is larger, has more bolts & GM couldn't care less about supplying the info.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/types/1/14 is pretty good for the info, but it is a lhd only catalogue, so rhd specific stuff is simply not on there.

MiniManDan118
13-05-13, 12:16 AM
Thanks for that catalog. My plan is to bag and label as I go with the resto, then spend as long as it takes measuring and counting each one in order to order new. Tedious I know, but having restored 2 Minis in the past it really does get on your nerves when you can't find that one last bolt which completely ruins the rest of your day trying to source. I may sound super picky here, but it also annoys me when you have to put a miss-match bolt in which looks completely wrong. Will anyone else notice? Probably not, but I will know it's there!

chrisd1986
13-05-13, 12:30 AM
If you go ahead with this then it might be worth sellng nova kits on yourself

MiniManDan118
13-05-13, 02:37 AM
I never thought of it in a business perspective, but you may be on to something there. Sell as a full kit, or sell as bags of the correct bolt for certain parts of the car. I like your thinking! I have the advantage of starting with a completely original car that doesn't look like its ever been dismantled beyond normal serviceable items so everything should be there for me to start with.

Novaload_Nick
13-05-13, 07:22 AM
Do it :)

chrisd1986
13-05-13, 08:28 AM
I should ask for 10% seing as its my idea but i will let you have it lol

DAFTJOHN
13-05-13, 08:55 AM
I got most for axles, suspension, brakes and they came to over 150 quid from vx. I used the catalogue that mowgli posted And referenced to new parts if they were nls.

meritlover
13-05-13, 02:41 PM
seeing as after 25 odd years you are probably the first person to strangly find the need to do this, i would expect the profit margin would be so small it would not be worth while. Nearly all the bolts on the car can be salvaged apart from the usual ball joint pinch-bolts and the odd m6 fastner here and there.

The rest are nearly all high tensile anyway so they last pretty good as long as its no a complete muppet who chews them off with a bi-hex socket set they got out a Christmas cracker. I would be wary or buying any bolt kit unless the i could verify the spec of the bolt is as per OE.

Most replacements can be found on Corsa Bs everywhere, or someone friendly on the forum who knows how to lick a stamp and an envelope.

thedjse
13-05-13, 02:58 PM
I think the bags of bolts would be awesome would help sooooo many people out pal

MiniManDan118
13-05-13, 04:05 PM
seeing as after 25 odd years you are probably the first person to strangly find the need to do this, i would expect the profit margin would be so small it would not be worth while. Nearly all the bolts on the car can be salvaged apart from the usual ball joint pinch-bolts and the odd m6 fastner here and there.

The rest are nearly all high tensile anyway so they last pretty good as long as its no a complete muppet who chews them off with a bi-hex socket set they got out a Christmas cracker. I would be wary or buying any bolt kit unless the i could verify the spec of the bolt is as per OE.

Most replacements can be found on Corsa Bs everywhere, or someone friendly on the forum who knows how to lick a stamp and an envelope.

I seriously bet I am not the first person to wish I could buy the correct size, length and shape bolts for a certain application. I wish I knew about the Classic Mini kit I could've purchased when restoring the 2 cars I have done, would've made my life so much easier knowing I had every bolt there bagged and labelled for each job. The added complication with them was the UNF/UNC thread that no local supplier stocks anymore.

I will be replacing every bolt on the car, or at least as many as I can. Mainly with marine grade stainless steel too, aside from the ones that cannot have stainless replacements.

This thread wasn't started as a money maker, if I don't go ahead with the kit ideas I'll share all the info I find with everyone one here. And don't worry, every bolt will be to the spec it needs to be. I'm not going to buy Chinese cheese-steel bolts if I'm going to all the effort of stripping a car to a bare shell and restoring it. The car is 29 years old so I'm sure there will be damaged/rounded/rusted bolts that need replacing anyway.