PDA

View Full Version : what wheel alignment equipment to buy?

dc1984
09-05-13, 10:56 AM
Hey folks.

My tyre garage is doing ok but not really making a profit yet so im thinking about doing tracking to try and make a few more pennies.
What makes should i be looking for and is there any specific types to look for?
What ramp is best for it too? I have seen the scissor type ones aswel as 2 & 4 post ramps.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
David.

meritlover
09-05-13, 11:09 AM
the best gauges clamp the wheel and have provision for run out compensation. The gauges which hang off the tyres are useless. there are several on offer.

you cant use a 2 post lift as the wheels need to carry the weight of the car. The posts also get in the way of the light going between the front gauges and the rear flags. Needs to be 4 post.

You need turnplates to let you adjust the wheels individually without scuffing the whole rack over.

No offence, but if you are asking these questions you dont sound too familiar with car geo. so get on a good course so you understand exactly what you are doing. theres a big difference between a £30 tracking check on a vectra to a £200 geo setup on a race car. so think about your market and where your best returns are.

as i mentioned on another post yesterday its not the type of gear which attracts people to a place, its the quality and experience of the operator. This also lets you pick gauges which either do just toe, or gauges which do full caster/camber/kpi etc....

skud52
09-05-13, 11:28 AM
Hunter 4 wheels the best imo as you can do lowered cars easily

meritlover
09-05-13, 12:26 PM
Hunter 4 wheels the best imo as you can do lowered cars easily

what makes them the best?

skud52
09-05-13, 12:29 PM
Clamp to the wheels rather than hooks over them meaning arch clearance isnt an issue

meritlover
09-05-13, 12:44 PM
ye thats the best kind, what run-out compensation do they run? Do they just measure toe?

skud52
09-05-13, 01:35 PM
Have a look at the brochure in not here to sell the system, just giving my opinion

meritlover
09-05-13, 01:47 PM
Have a look at the brochure in not here to sell the system, just giving my opinion

i was only asking if you're opinion was based on using them or just a picture you saw of one somewhere. Must be the latter.

skud52
09-05-13, 02:15 PM
My opinion is based on a customer having been to different garages, thats the best system i have seen and would recommend it to anyone, be it wanting their tracking done or in this case, looking to buy a system. It was mearly an option for him to look into

dc1984
09-05-13, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the opinions guys, I plan to get myself on a training course before I set about buying a system.
The only reason I ask is because so many customers come in with tracking a mile out and ask if I can do it or recommend anyone to do it so it possibly could be a good earner for the garage.

Thanks,

David.

brainsnova
09-05-13, 08:50 PM
Couple of laser pens stuck to the rear wheels pointing to the front lol

dc1984
09-05-13, 08:56 PM
Couple of laser pens stuck to the rear wheels pointing to the front lol

lollol where do I get the training for that:p

brainsnova
09-05-13, 09:00 PM
lollol where do I get the training for that:p