PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel alignment

Chay84
08-05-13, 12:40 PM
I'm wanting to get the nova all set and aligned up

Anyone got any recommendations of company's? I'm hearing that the hunter pro align is the way forward phoned a local company that use one and its £110 + vat bit steep like?

oVerboost
08-05-13, 12:56 PM
Your local Pro Tyre company should have a decent laser alignment system, which is about £45 + vat.

phunkynova
08-05-13, 02:25 PM
You can get done here in Plzen for under £30 but the petrol money might be a bit steep.

meritlover
08-05-13, 04:20 PM
it can be the best gear in the world, if the operator doesnt understand the basics of suspension geometry (like in all too many occasions) then its a waste of time.

any quickfit walla can hang a gauge loosly off a tyre and chew your threads up with a stilson to read something on the gauge hanging off the rear wheels for £25. And then have the cheek to say, 'come back if its not right' FFS youre the guy with the gauges, you tell me!

There is a difference between going in and getting your car set up to the book figure, and going in and asking someone to make your car handle to do XYZ. Most often you pay for these guys time an experience, and also the gear they use. i would rather talk to a guy and here what he has to say and discuss it and knew what he was doing using string than to pay for a super dooper machine.

ask around. go on caterham/westfield sites and ask about to get a good name. those boys are always tweaking settings. Most people with Novas are just happy their car goes on a straight line.

Chay84
08-05-13, 04:43 PM
Cheers for comments guys I spoke to Angus tyres which is just a local tyre company they said free if it didn't need adjusted or 30 if it does tbh I don't really trust them , also called the local body shop and he said they use vauxhall to do there's once they fixed repairs and said they were superb so I will give them a call and see what they say

brucer
08-05-13, 07:33 PM
why do you want four wheel alignment? its only needed when the rear suspension is also adujstable too, if you wanted just to know your figures for the back then carry on.

have you got camber adjustment on the front?

we got the hunter in the tyre bay at my work, great bit of kit for accuracy, would imagine a laser alignment would be suitable

meritlover
08-05-13, 07:34 PM
i rest my case.....

Chay84
08-05-13, 07:54 PM
Lol ok laser alignment I'm just gonna take it to my mate he works at a tyre garage so fingers crossed he will do it my steering wheel is sitting way off since I changed the shocks and springs at weekend and when braking from 70-40mph it feels all over the shop

mowgli
08-05-13, 09:03 PM
i once sat in my first nova with the steering wheel held straight so the dodgy bast4rds would track it properly, as when they did it the first time, the steering wheel suddenly was 1/4 turn to the left.. the manager said 'just take the steering wheel off & move it' i said, why not get your blokes to track the side that actually needed it.. i won, as in those days, payment was by cheque & i threatened to get my cheque stopped, which meant the 2 tyres they sold me would be free....

Edd
08-05-13, 09:10 PM
^^^ when I had my Sport done he only did one side ffs

I guessing that need redoing properly then?

mowgli
08-05-13, 09:14 PM
maybe only one side was out of alignment, and the other was spot on?

marc69
08-05-13, 09:27 PM
Lol ok laser alignment I'm just gonna take it to my mate he works at a tyre garage so fingers crossed he will do it my steering wheel is sitting way off since I changed the shocks and springs at weekend and when braking from 70-40mph it feels all over the shop
If you changed both sides of shocks and springs at the same time, the steering wheel shouldn't have moved unless you moved something else or if the struts have elongated holes and you have one side at a different camber angle to the other (you have not pulled the strut bottom as far on one side to the other)

If it's tracking it would be cornering rather than braking that would feel uneven, and pulling when it's supposed to be going straight.

Also, have the springs been put in correctly and the strut tops etc, the tops are angled and affect castor.

meritlover
08-05-13, 09:41 PM
^^^ when I had my Sport done he only did one side ffs

So what?