PDA

View Full Version : Scoop or no scoop?

vx kev
05-05-13, 09:22 PM
Im in the process of finishing off my c20let track nova, been thinking about engine bay cooling and seen a monteray scoop at u-pull-it so thought i'd just aswell get it!
So do I fit it to the nova or not?
I don't like raising the rear of the bonnet for extra cooling thing so would it be better to reverse the scoop to expell the hot air ftom the engine bay or fit it correctly and allow cold air into the rear of the bay?
Is the fitting of a scoop in the usual place directing air into the rear of the engine bay an effective method of cooling?
Im undecided really so just looking for other ideas or opinions!
It already has gte vents in the bonnet.

dc1984
05-05-13, 09:24 PM
Not a big fan of the bonnet vents but I would go reverse if I had to, save all the crap flying into the bay.
David.

Benn
05-05-13, 09:32 PM
If i was gonna go a scoop, i'd have it the right way. I can't see doing that much backwards due to the shape and design...

bazil
05-05-13, 09:42 PM
No scoop if your lifting the bonnet

Personally I'd cut triangles manta 400 style at the front to let heat rise out if its a track car

vx kev
05-05-13, 09:44 PM
If i was gonna go a scoop, i'd have it the right way. I can't see doing that much backwards due to the shape and design...

My thinking behind fitting it backwards is that it will expell hot air from the engine bay rather than taking it in.

Would the fitting of the scoop in the usual place directing air to the back of the engine bay be affective?

vx kev
05-05-13, 09:48 PM
No scoop if your lifting the bonnet

Personally I'd cut triangles manta 400 style at the front to let heat rise out if its a track car

Not lifting the Bonnet Bazil. I thought about the triangles or something of the sort but im really not that great with a jigsaw lol

dc1984
05-05-13, 09:50 PM
I have a jigsaw if you have the bonnet;)

Benn
05-05-13, 09:51 PM
The only bit that really get hot is right over the turbo... So you'd want it right at the front...

vx kev
05-05-13, 09:52 PM
I have a jigsaw if you have the bonnet;)

lol

vx kev
05-05-13, 09:56 PM
The only bit that really get hot is right over the turbo... So you'd want it right at the front...

Yup that what I thought, would need to find something more suitable then as the monteray scoops a bit big and awkward for fitting there.
Might have to take DC up on his offer if hes handy with a Jigsaw :d

bazil
05-05-13, 09:58 PM
Not lifting the Bonnet Bazil. I thought about the triangles or something of the sort but im really not that great with a jigsaw lol

Template on card, draw on bonnet, router attachment for a drill from machine mart, cut out, job jobbed :)

Jack
05-05-13, 11:12 PM
Where is your intercooler?

Assuming you've got an FMIC, cut a vent in the bonnet either just above or just aft of the turbo. You want air to come in the front, through the radiators and get pulled up over the turbo. A scoop on a car with a front mount won't do squat, in fact it would probably make things worse. Look at Imprezas - top mounts, scoops. Evos; front mounts, vents. ST205, chargecooler (i.e. heat exchanger in the front), vent.

As for bonnet lifting, it made sod all difference on mine. In fact I think it ran hotter when it was raised higher up, so I've set it as flush as possible.

dc1984
06-05-13, 08:52 AM
What about this sort of idea mate.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Punto-Letterbox-Bonnet-Vent-/260664947627?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb0d773ab

meritlover
06-05-13, 08:54 AM
Burgo

scott.parker
06-05-13, 11:31 AM
Dose the engine bay still have the fire wall?
Your better removing it for air flow out the scuttle, or at least putting some vent hols, maybe try make some that match the scuttle ones?

vx kev
06-05-13, 08:49 PM
Where is your intercooler?

Assuming you've got an FMIC, cut a vent in the bonnet either just above or just aft of the turbo. You want air to come in the front, through the radiators and get pulled up over the turbo. A scoop on a car with a front mount won't do squat, in fact it would probably make things worse. Look at Imprezas - top mounts, scoops. Evos; front mounts, vents. ST205, chargecooler (i.e. heat exchanger in the front), vent.

As for bonnet lifting, it made sod all difference on mine. In fact I think it ran hotter when it was raised higher up, so I've set it as flush as possible.

Yes it has a fmic. My thinking for fitting the scoop in reverse was to do as you say, the air comes in through the front goes up over the engine and out the back of the scoop.

What about this sort of idea mate.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Punto-Letterbox-Bonnet-Vent-/260664947627?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb0d773ab

Tis an idea, cool louvres would be best but the budget wont got that far just now.

Dose the engine bay still have the fire wall?
Your better removing it for air flow out the scuttle, or at least putting some vent hols, maybe try make some that match the scuttle ones?

Didn't want to remove the firewall completely so I did put a row of 2" holes in it to allow air to go through.

So so far its looking like the scoop is pretty much useless so cutting some vents in (manta style or the like) would be the best idea.