PDA

View Full Version : tie rods

marc69
05-05-13, 06:46 PM
Since putting on the new cv boots my SR doesn't corner the same, inspection has shown that the fool who put on the boots bent a tie rod (passenger side), the fool would be me.

I assume changing the tracking won't sort it as the rod has a slight bend so fortunately I have a steering stuff from another Nova so three questions please

1. Are the SR steering rods the same as all other Novas?

2. does anyone know what size the two spanners you need to release it so i can buy them?

3. Can I put the gaitor back on with cable ties (I have never got the hang of the metal clip things)?

marc69
06-05-13, 11:28 PM
Anyone done this?

meritlover
07-05-13, 03:15 PM
i dont understand, you have bent the tie bars so now you are chaning all the steering components?

cant you just swap the tie bar for a straight one? (yes SR ones are the same) i think there are 3x 15mm heads if i remember 18 or 17 on the wishbones.

just unbolt it from the wishbone and the cross member as an assembly. You do not need to split the tie bar from its bracket and i can see no advantage for doing so (unless you are wanting to swap bushes or something)

The steering geometry will be altered by varying degrees any time you disconnect the wishbones or steering components. you might have to get it geo'd again anyway.

xx

mk1nova_rich
07-05-13, 03:25 PM
Only remove the tie bar bracket if the replacement tie bar still has the bracket attached. Far easier just to undo the 22mm nut on the tie bar and remove it on its own.

Tie bar nut is 22mm
Tie bar brackets are 15mm IIRC
Balljoint to TCA bolts and nuts are usually 19mm

marc69
07-05-13, 05:12 PM
Sorry, I meant the rod that a track rod end goes onto as part of the steering is bent, I suppose it would be called a track rod?, not a tie bar, many apologies!!!

Basically I assume I need to replace it after bending it.

mk1nova_rich
07-05-13, 09:26 PM
1. Yes
2. Not sure on a Nova unfortunately
3. Yes

meritlover
07-05-13, 10:26 PM
thats the track rod, track control arm or TCA.

yes swap out the rack or just the rod itself. fit a new one (and as well to do the track rod end) then have it tracked as it will most certainly be out of alignment after that job, no matter how carefully you 'count the turns'

so that said, what nut are you referring to? the flat on the inner balljoint on the TCA?

marc69
08-05-13, 12:07 AM
Thanks,

Looking at haynes and the track rod etc I have in the garage, I think it is where you mentioned, you use two spanners where the track rod joins the steering, one on each, None of my spanners are big enough so I will need to buy two once I know what size.

Iain
08-05-13, 09:49 AM
You don't need a spanner on the rack as it's held from rotating by the steering pinion/housing

I think it's a 32mm open ended spanner you need to undo a track rod.

GRUNT 16V
08-05-13, 10:34 AM
Just get a new rack costs about £30.00 through unipart

conad
08-05-13, 10:51 AM
does anyone know what size the two spanners you need to release it so i can buy them?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/conad/3428652544_76e0db2fc4_z.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/user/conad/media/3428652544_76e0db2fc4_z.jpg.html)

meritlover
08-05-13, 11:22 AM
theyre not expensive, i would buy two TCAs and 2 TREs, or as suggested a refurbed rack.

the price of alignment is dearer than the sum of the parts, so do it once. no point having the other side fail a few weeks after tracking it.

marc69
15-05-13, 09:09 PM
I borrowed two spanners from a garage. For anyone else who needs the sizes, 18mm and 32mm

I fitted it today (2 and half hours due to being no access at all), but I noticed a difference between the original one and the one I fitted, you will see in the pic, the original has a ring thing in at the balljoint whereas the other doesn't. You can also see just how straight the original isn't.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/69marc/IMAG0237_zpsc2c720db.jpg
The frustarating bit is, it was all back together, the gaitor etc seemsed fine, then before putting wheels back on, thpught I'd better tack the lock hard either side incase the gaitor moved, it didn't move but found a tiny split so I don't see the bother of doing tracking etc until i get a new gaitor (hopefully tomorrow).

Really tired though of lying under these bloody cars in the continual rain, soaked through everyday....need a rest!