PDA

View Full Version : building a e16se up need help on few things

reecegsi
02-05-13, 08:57 PM
Hello

I am rebuilding a e16se for my corsa need help with getting new parts and where things go etc quick spec oversized pistons kent cam ported head including new stem seals valves relapped all cleaned new head gasket cambelt kit and water pump nearly everthing new tbh few questions

1: is there a certain place for water pump to be lined up to? Engine has no backing cover

2: best place to get inlet and exhaust gasket as the ones I got from car spares are ****e? Prefer a metal manifold gasket and inlet is round port

3: I need a few new bolts washers etc so if anyone has sizes part numbers and places to get them from etc would be very helpful they are as follows
Bottom pulley bolt and washer
Cam pulley bolt and washer
Exhaust manifold nuts
Rocker cover bolts (all 8)

4:best way to time up the engine I have no covers but crank pulley has arrow and block has a cut out so guessing thats where that lines up the others?

5: the alternator and starter motor are rusty and buggered what other engines have the same ones c16se/c14se? Any others?
There may be more questions but that will do for now all help appreciated

pottersrebel
02-05-13, 09:35 PM
i shud have an alternator knocking around somewhere it came of a 1600 corsa sport (not sure of engine code) also have a few other corsa parts if you need anything just give us a pm on here. id also assume any starter motor off a small block engine should fit as the one off the corsa sport engine is now fitted to my 1300 stockcar.

mowgli
02-05-13, 10:26 PM
haynes is your friend. look at the pics in there for water pump alignment.

the inlet & exh gaskets are the same as the c14se, and they were sold in later corsas

as for timing it up, do you still have the old cover back? as all the notches are on them.you could fit it, ling them up, then put some small paint dabs on the belt, remove everything & reassemble it with the dabs lined up.

failing that, its time to find tdc on no.1 piston & then get an angle gauge & time the cam to it.

bazil
02-05-13, 10:43 PM
For gaskets check ebay or Vauxhall for Z16SE gaskets for inlet as these are from Astra and merivas and still readily available and round port inlet too.

Your right about the crank drive cog, it has a dot stamped on one tooth ant this lines up with the notch in the oil pump casing at 6 o'clock

For the rest it's as per mowgli

Edit, if its an early E16 without the cambelt auto tensioner then it's the water pump you use to set the belt tension.

meritlover
03-05-13, 07:55 AM
you cant find true TDC by using the piston.

reecegsi
03-05-13, 12:40 PM
Thanks for help

Mowgli - I dont have the cambelt covers no (if anyone has them let me no) so would have to do without unless I can find some

Bazil - how do you no if its a auto tensioner? Its a brand new gates kit

bazil
03-05-13, 04:43 PM
Early E16 only has crank pulley, water pump and cam pulley

Late one has a tensioning idler, obviously there are 2 belts too, a long one for later engines and a shorter one for earlier ones,

reecegsi
03-05-13, 09:18 PM
Mine has idler

mowgli
03-05-13, 11:47 PM
you cant find true TDC by using the piston.

you can, but you need to play round with an angle gauge on the crank.. there was a how to in ppc mag the other month.

by taking the sump off, you would be able to get a decent idea too.

meritlover
04-05-13, 09:44 AM
you can, but you need to play round with an angle gauge on the crank.
correct, this is my point, there is probably about 5 deg either side of TDC where the piston is still at the top.
I use a clock gauge to find the top and watch the needle move, note the angle it changes and then half it.