PDA

View Full Version : strange engine?

Aragorn
25-08-03, 11:01 PM
ive noticed summat strange about the engine im building

the engine came out of a 1990 mk1 nova BUT was 1.4SPi which was strange enough in itself

but it also has a square topped belt cover which according to haynes means it has an auto tensioner - the engine doesnt however have an auto tensoiner and theres no hole for it on the cover so its not as tho someones put the wrong cover on

further more - there is no ignition pointer on the block at all

there is a line on the oil pump and 2 notches on the alternator pulley but no pointer as it shows in the manual - ive lined the engine up with the notch on pullye and the line on oil pump and it seems to be just before TDC for pistons 1 and 4 which im assuming is correct - however u cant see this mark on the oil pump once the rear cam cover is fitted - so u cant use it as a refrence

any ideas...??

rgv_stu
25-08-03, 11:57 PM
simple trick
ditch all the plastic crap.
you may originally have had an auto tensioner but they could have took it off as they are a bit weak imo. although i found when i took out my tensioner to fit a shorter belt the cover needed modding to stop the belt fouling on it. hence i just removed the cover.
erm by the way dont line it up with the notches on the alternator belt as your doing it wrong , if you not careful you will end up a tooth out. take off the alternator pully and use the mark on the crank pully and bottom of oilpump/sump.

nova dosed
26-08-03, 01:04 AM
i had same prob looked liek a wierd engine but got it all sorted just follw his instructions u shud be ok