PDA

View Full Version : 1200st won't start, turns over there's spark.

scott.parker
26-04-13, 07:43 PM
Been trying to get my mk1 1.2 started, but when I went to start it yesterday it stugled a bit fired up then cut out, I cracked it over again and I didn't want to start, I did see a tiny puff of smoke from under the ignition barrel, what's in there that might let go and stop the car starting?
Any info would be great as I want to get it working soon..

Cheers.

MK999
26-04-13, 07:58 PM
Only thing that could really let go there would be something related to the ignition live, check for 12v at the coil with ignition on.

All it is, is a 12v supply, ignition live (possibly 2 stages iirc? first might just be steering lock off) and a feed to the starter solenoid.

_Jake
26-04-13, 08:39 PM
my 1.2 used to do this, tested everything and it was all ok.... but when you put the distributor back together it would run... weird thing.

Southie
26-04-13, 08:52 PM
Just notice you said ignition smoke so as above check your wiring.

burgo
26-04-13, 09:35 PM
Do you have fuel?

chrisd1986
26-04-13, 09:49 PM
i know when i had my saloon parked up for 3 weeks it done this and i just kept on trying till it pulled fuel through because what was in the lines ran back into the tank

scott.parker
26-04-13, 10:56 PM
Do you have fuel?

Yes, thought I had flooded it, so took plugs out to check, they weren't soaking but two were damp, so dried clear off, hooked it upto the Astra via jumps just in case, but still nothing, bit odd.. Normally starts first turn even after sitting for months..

burgo
26-04-13, 11:24 PM
Id still be tempted to try pouring a bit of fuel in the carb and see if it fires. The fuel lines are very prone to perishing

mowgli
26-04-13, 11:24 PM
is the cambelt/fuel pump/coil ok?

the smoke from the ign could simply be it getting warm from all the cranking of the starter

meritlover
27-04-13, 08:54 AM
If you are getting sparks and its cranking then the ign switch is fine. Fresh plugs and a drop of fuel the carb. If it chuffs over and dies its a fuel problem. If it was running before there won't be much wrong with it.

John
27-04-13, 09:04 AM
Fuel Pump Pumping?

scott.parker
09-05-13, 08:53 AM
So.. I replaced the fuel pump yesterday and it still didn't start, I dropped some fuel into the carb to check it was ok, and it fired up briefly so I know it can and will start, so now I know it's down to fuel delivery from the tank, I'm going to go have a good check over the fuel lines in a bit, but just before I do, do I need to to prime the pump, and the lines so there's lest chance of air lock, could this be be the issue??

scott.parker
09-05-13, 05:49 PM
Got the sod sorted, checked everything, turned out to be the stupid pipe from the feed to pump, was split near the pump so was pulling air in enough to stop it pulling the fuel upto it, so replaced it and it's fine, but now I've got to sort the brakes out, the offside caliper is binding badly, think I'll fix it for now but upgrade to ate 2ltr setup.

Novasport
09-05-13, 05:58 PM
It is worth replacing all of the rubber hoses as if they are originals they will more than likely be perished.
I have had problems with the little 'S' hoses at the tank on nearly all of my Nova's. I fitted normal rubber hoses in place of them on the Swing and had fuel starvation issues due to them kinking. I had to buy genuine ones in the end.
Have a look at my Spider thread to see how bad they had perished on that.

scott.parker
09-05-13, 06:39 PM
Well both the feed/return pipes at the tank are solid no issues so I'll leave them for now, but the stupid thing is I really didn't expect to find the pipe format the feed to the pump was gone, as I replaced all of the pipes in the bay less than 16 months ago..

jimbob-mcgrew
09-05-13, 11:29 PM
glad you sorted it.
maybe the hose didn't have enough slack and was getting yanked about for those 16 months before it gave up ? or maybe it was rubbing on something ? or maybe you were sleepwalking one night, and lifted your bonnet and sliced it with a knife lol

scott.parker
10-05-13, 08:23 AM
glad you sorted it.
maybe the hose didn't have enough slack and was getting yanked about for those 16 months before it gave up ? or maybe it was rubbing on something ? or maybe you were sleepwalking one night, and lifted your bonnet and sliced it with a knife lol

lol no there was plenty of slack, I made it the same as the original I took off, but I think the mistake I made was buying the first replacement from halfords, this time I've got some really good stuff from a local factors.

Novasport
10-05-13, 09:43 AM
I remember splitting the fuel hose on my Mini. It cut out coming up to a junction them there was a strong smell of fuel then smoke coming up from under the bonnet as it poured out onto the exhaust manifold. Luckily it did not go up in flames!!!
It had a 1380cc and I had a job keeping the engine in the bay, even with the competition engine steady fitted. The engine had rocked back under some spirited driving and the carb squashed the pipe against the bulkhead splitting it :S