PDA

View Full Version : trackers

novalew
26-04-13, 06:28 AM
Hi people

Might sound a bit extreme but my neighbourhood is not the best and when my nova is roadworthy it will probably get the wrong type of attention. I will have a cat 1 alarm system installed professionally but also wondered if trackers are any good. I googled them but there were loads at different prices I just wondered what people's opinions on them were?

Cheers

Lewis

NOV4_SPORT
26-04-13, 07:37 AM
A tracker is a good idea but only as good if it's well hidden in the car and there is not many places to hide something like a tracker inside a nova mate

Iain
26-04-13, 07:39 AM
Imagine its useful if its parked up to be stripped for parts, not so useful if its on fire in a field?

Mike
26-04-13, 07:53 AM
Imagine its useful if its parked up to be stripped for parts, not so useful if its on fire in a field?

This.

And as said, there aint many places it can be hidden in a Nova other then behind the dash really. Which IMO is an obvious place.

novalew
26-04-13, 08:18 AM
Points well taken. Its the problem with not having a a garage. I will get some posts installed instead.

mowgli
26-04-13, 08:26 AM
fit a cheapo mobile phone with it registered to one of those 'where is my kid' websites.. wire in a second fag lighter & use a car charger to run it.

scott.parker
26-04-13, 09:33 AM
fit a cheapo mobile phone with it registered to one of those 'where is my kid' websites.. wire in a second fag lighter & use a car charger to run it.
lol genuis idea, but what happens if it flattened the battery?

Lewis, the post are a good idea, just make sure if there the removable ones the base is well in the ground, and flash, so you don't catch your sump, or if the fold down ones, recessed into your drive, also a cove helps a lot, stop people from looking for a start.

Stuart
26-04-13, 10:04 AM
Weigh up the cost of the tracker and upkeep vs the insurance 'discount'

So long as the car is insured properly, there is no need to worry.

L14MNP
26-04-13, 10:53 AM
If you do insist on a tracker, they can be hidden anywhere. They are tiny.

My mates Maserati 3200GT's was installed behind the headlining, near the grab handle iirc.
Even if you pull the loom down, it's taped in, and as good as invisible.

brainsnova
26-04-13, 11:07 AM
Airbag in the drivers seat only if you have a sunroof

Southie
26-04-13, 01:57 PM
I sold my Nova to prevent a theft lol

chrisd1986
26-04-13, 02:24 PM
get a lock up off the council get a huge lock and hook up a rape alarm to the door like i did so if the door gets opened so far it pulls the pin out and will allert people

meritlover
26-04-13, 02:28 PM
get a cheap GSM tracker/logger off eBay.
most novas are so rare now that there is little point in stealing them to sell. most are just thrashed and burnt out within a couple hours so a tracker might not be that valuable

novalew
26-04-13, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I may look into one. I am trying to get a lock up too. Its because im building it myself I guess. I just don't want to protect it.

Benn
26-04-13, 06:16 PM
If you do insist on a tracker, they can be hidden anywhere. They are tiny.

My mates Maserati 3200GT's was installed behind the headlining, near the grab handle iirc.
Even if you pull the loom down, it's taped in, and as good as invisible.

I was gonna say, some of them are tiny.
The one in my work van is the size of a 20 box of fags.

novalew
26-04-13, 06:45 PM
Obviously cost will come into play to. I have a bit of time to research. Haven't got an engine yet. But really appreciate the the comments

BRoadGhost
26-04-13, 10:55 PM
These are quite good

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hR7F-MqvRzI/SG6OhNbOpiI/AAAAAAAABl4/LH5Ae5Ugxgg/s320/5jul5.bmp

mowgli
26-04-13, 11:10 PM
lol genuis idea, but what happens if it flattened the battery?

dead easy, you run the 2nd fag lighter socket off an ign feed, so it only gets charged when you have the engine running, and as long as the phone is dead basic, it will last a good 4 or 5 days on standby between charges.