PDA

View Full Version : Non tapered Nova track rod ends

Mieran
25-04-13, 01:19 AM
I want to fit my track rod ends upside down but don't want to rose joint them.

Is there any track rod ends from another car that is not tapered and fits a Nova track rod?

I will obviously need to drill out the steering knuckle.

mk1nova_rich
25-04-13, 07:17 AM
I reckon just about most track rod ends are tapered to prevent play and hold them in securely.

If you do manage to find some that aren't tapered, I would recommend getting them machined out with a slot drill then reamed for a nice snug fit and a proper cylindrical bore. A normal twist drill in a tapered hole will just make a crap job TBH.

Graeme
25-04-13, 07:50 AM
What's the problem with rose jointed ones

mowgli
25-04-13, 08:05 AM
either way, you need to get someone to machine some conical bushes to make sure there is metal inside the taper hole.

Mieran
25-04-13, 01:31 PM
I reckon just about most track rod ends are tapered to prevent play and hold them in securely.

If you do manage to find some that aren't tapered, I would recommend getting them machined out with a slot drill then reamed for a nice snug fit and a proper cylindrical bore. A normal twist drill in a tapered hole will just make a crap job TBH.
Cars like Mk2 golf, astra mk4 etc are non tapered and can easily be flipped around.

Just need to find someone in a motor factors to trial fit and see what works

Iain
25-04-13, 04:09 PM
I like the idea of having a tapered insert pressed into a drilled knuckle so it can be flipped either way with a standard balljoint.

brucer
25-04-13, 08:04 PM
if somebody can find some inserts im very keen.

mowgli
25-04-13, 08:17 PM
finding them is hardly difficult.. you get a decent engineer to drill a straight hole thru the hub casting. then get an insert made with a clearance diameter to the hole, but with a taper inside that matches the original hub hole. now for the clever bit.. make the insert a little longer than the original casting & also have it cut in two, so it is more like 2 collets. then you have a really good clamp for the TRE

brucer
25-04-13, 08:26 PM
if i cant find it on a shelf its too much hassle. lol.

the engineers round by me are either never there or would cost too much to do what i want, only reason i asked if somebody else can get them.