PDA

View Full Version : copper brake lines

silk violet
20-04-13, 10:59 PM
hi there i am replacing my brake lines for new copper 1's and i have brought a brake flaring tool off egay and i am having slight problems with it.. :confused: i fit the 3/16 copper pipe in to the sandwich plate and it pertrudes out about 5mm orso and then fit the flaring crusher to it.. it pushes the pipe in the wrong way and faces like a female type instead of the male mushroom type... can any 1 show me what am i doing wrong or do i need an adapter tool or something PLEASE HELP as its driving me crazy....:mad:

bazil
20-04-13, 11:29 PM
You need to need to use the 3/16 dia
There should be instructions with the kit,

5mm sound quite long too, it should only stick out the same height as the widest collar on the 3/16 dia which is around 2 or 3 mm

Plenty videos on you tube too

silk violet
20-04-13, 11:43 PM
pal will give it a try.... :thumb:

meritlover
21-04-13, 09:57 AM
How are you cutting the pipe?

If you are using a hacksaw, you will most often get squint flares.

Use tube cutters.

silk violet
21-04-13, 10:32 AM
i am using a tube cutter... cheers

fossit85
21-04-13, 11:14 AM
there are two types of flair formers op1 and op2. for the mushroom type or male end you need to use op1. for the female end you need to use op1 then op2.

silk violet
22-04-13, 10:32 PM
hi there is anybody local in birmingham that can make up copper lines as its doing my head in trying to make the flares as they are comin out all wrong and would rather just pay someone to make them up for me if possible...???? MUCH HELP APPRECIATED......

mowgli
22-04-13, 10:34 PM
all decent motor factors or car repair garages. the cheapo kits are just that.

silk violet
22-04-13, 10:39 PM
i,m looking for some 1 mobile really as the car is in my garage with no rear beam on at the moment....

Benn
22-04-13, 11:19 PM
How are you cutting the pipe?

If you are using a hacksaw, you will most often get squint flares.

Use tube cutters.

I use a hacksaw an then file it to be tidy..lol

all decent motor factors or car repair garages. the cheapo kits are just that.

Cheap kits are just sh*te. The ones you wind in by hand, a proper compressing level like one is what wanted, but they arnt cheap. But work first time and every time.

meritlover
23-04-13, 10:46 AM
I use a hacksaw an then file it to be tidy..lol

that's nice.

OP, show pics of your flaring tool and how you are doing the flare. something must be wrong, even the worst cheapest tool in the world will produce a decent flare now and again.

i have had a cheap flare tool for years and had no issues providing the tube is cut dead square. Getting the optimim protrusion is the key, it takes practice and you get a feel for it after a couple of goes.

mine is like below,
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hf-double-flaring-tool.jpg

thats the nipple type you need.
which leaves a flare like this

http://www.austinhealeywood.com/images/clutch_line_006.jpg